Are dual batteries necessary?

harv3589

Adventurer
I was wondering if dual batteries are necessary or a really good idea for overlanding? My biggest fear is having a dead battery in the middle of nowhere. Or would having a booster pack of some sort be a better idea?

I have a winch but it doesn't get used a pile.

If I went with dual batteries I really like the genesis system, just pricey with the exchange rate right now...

Thoughts?

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
While I have killed (flat lined) several batteries with a winch; it has only happened twice in more than 30 years and is usually not a big deal since there is usually someone wiling to give you a jump start and usually the battery is not clear dead and can be recharged even if you run it completely down, and once started the vehicle can usually get to somewhere that a new or used battery can be found even if the battery is finished.
In terms of overlanding I would say it depends on your power usage. I normally use a small 35 AH battery for lights and things and its good for at least 3 to four days before it should be charged; but then, so far, I have not tried to keep the fridge running overnight.
If I decide to continuously power the fridge I will definitely need a second, quite powerful, battery (100 AH minimum) although I will try to keep it "portable"/separate from the vehicle as long as possible, so that I can easily change it between vehicles. If/when I go for dual batteries I will just add a second battery tray and an isolator (or combination isolator and solar charge controller.... not that big a deal, although the better charge controllers are a bit spendy.
Enjoy!

harv3589

Adventurer
I'm not usually running a fridge although for our trip this next summer I may borrow one from a friend. I have nothing that I run off the battery while camping.

When winching I have an AEV procal that I plug in the run up the rpms while winching which should help some I'm guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Most (all?) fridges have a low voltage shut off now - when they sense the battery is below a threshold you set, it turns itself off.

Given that, and as long as you don't want to run anything else while the engine is off (lights, water pump, charging big electronics), I think you'll be fine without dual batts.

-Dan

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Even the interior lights of the Jeep turn off after a short bit, so a bit of prudence goes a long way.
I picked up a Lithium Ion battery pack, that has a set of jumpers. "Supposedly" (I have no first hand experience with it yet), if the battery goes flat, it will jump start a vehicle.
It's about the size of a large CD pocket, has USB outputs to charge up phones, etc..
Similar to this one: https://www.pricefalls.com/product/...ive=9422913806&device=c&matchtype={MatchType}
Picked up a group 31 to replace the stock battery, and am hoping to test this out, by depleting the stock battery below what it will turn the engine over at.
Not the greatest test in the world, because the environmental variables are limited, and the capacity/characteristics of the new battery are vastly different. But at least it will give me an idea of functionality.

Long story short. If you want to keep the stock battery, and want backup, this "may" be something to look at.

M35A2

Tinkerer
I believe in two batteries of the same size and type for redundancy and ability to maintain anywhere. I usually also carry an extremely small genset - 300 watts - with 120 vac and 12 vdc outputs. It will power a trouble light and recharge a flat battery.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
I carry an Antigravity Batteries Microstart XP-10 for exactly this reason. I don't run any gear off my battery, but don't want to be in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery. I've used the thing once (on the wife's car, not the Jeep) and it worked fantastically. Plus it's a hell of a lot easier than using a second vehicle to jump another. No more blocking the street while you try to line up the batteries of two cars. Plus, the Microstart can charge phones, cameras etc.

harv3589

Adventurer
I carry an Antigravity Batteries Microstart XP-10 for exactly this reason. I don't run any gear off my battery, but don't want to be in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery. I've used the thing once (on the wife's car, not the Jeep) and it worked fantastically. Plus it's a hell of a lot easier than using a second vehicle to jump another. No more blocking the street while you try to line up the batteries of two cars. Plus, the Microstart can charge phones, cameras etc.

That's what I was looking at...

JD914

Observer
Your experience might vary, but I had the XP-10 and the one time I needed it, it failed me. Granted, it was worst case scenario - I drive a V-8 4Runner and it was a 35 degree morning, but it didn't start my truck. Luckily, I was with several other vehicles on that trip.
Like I said, it might work fine on a smaller engine in warmer weather, but just something to think about.

EMrider

Explorer

I have one of these in every vehicle. Great products.

My bigger concern is running a fridge while camping. Not sure whether I should get a dual battery system, or just get a separate battery pack to run the fridge and charge that with a solar panel.

R

Vinman

Observer
I have one of the Anti-Gravity units and I put it to the test last year. I had a Jeep with a 5.3 GM that the battery was so dead the dome light wouldn't come on. The AG unit started that engine 3 times, then I used it to start my 5.7 Hemi truck twice after I let a fridge run the battery down on two different weekends. I also used it to charge my cell a couple of times.

I did all at on a single charge of the Anti-Gravity unit and couldn't be happier with the performance.
I plan on getting a couple more for the other vehicles soon.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Your experience might vary, but I had the XP-10 and the one time I needed it, it failed me. Granted, it was worst case scenario - I drive a V-8 4Runner and it was a 35 degree morning, but it didn't start my truck. Luckily, I was with several other vehicles on that trip.
Like I said, it might work fine on a smaller engine in warmer weather, but just something to think about.

That's sucks! There's a guy on another forum who uses one of these to jump his deisel fleet. Says he uses it all the time and it works great. Quite a few folks talk about jumping V8s. Maybe yours was defective.

Matt

Adventurer
Are they necessary? Probably not. They are spendy, but the peace of mind was worth the cost to me!
I installed the Genesis dual battery kit along with their G-Screen in my JK a few weeks ago. Super nice product and the install was easy.

Here's why I chose to install one....
About 18 years ago a friend and I took My YJ camping/hunting in a remote area in northern MN. We got to the area where we were going to set up camp after dark. We used the headlights to light up the area to set up camp and get a fire going and listened to the radio for a while. The next morning the Jeep wouldn't start. While we were figuring out what to do, who was going to start walking back to town to get help, a truck came down the logging road we were on. They gave me a jump start and went on their way. We were in the area for 3 days and that was the only time we ran into other people. We were very lucky! (and stupid for getting ourselves into that situation!)

Ever since then I've been paranoid about being stranded if I'm by myself. I know my fridge/freezer has a low voltage cutoff, but that doesn't mean I want to depend on that when I'm in the middle of nowhere. My daughter and I went camping and fishing in the same area last summer. I started the JK and let it run for a while every morning and night to make sure the battery was charged. Enough of that, it was time to get a dual battery kit and never have to worry about it.

With the G-Screen I see the voltage of each battery every time I get in the Jeep. I can run all of my accessories off the aux. battery until its dead and still start the Jeep with the main battery. If I ever kill the main battery I can link the batteries together with the push of a button and basically jumpstart myself. Being able to constantly know the condition my batteries are in and not having to worry about being stranded because of a dead one is well worth the price to me!! My only regret was not installing one sooner!

harv3589

Adventurer
I'm probably going to go with the Genesis system...maybe my next jeep project once my lift arrives and is installed.

F40

Adventurer
This is something I've been considering too. Just not sure where to put the second one in an XJ. After 3 XP-10's I gave up. With enough use the battery swells up and doesn't hold a charge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94