Are 15" Tires Going Obsolete?

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Anyone have tire industry inside information regarding the future of 15" diameter tires?

I could be wrong but it seems 15" types and sizes have been reduced over the years. This along with the advent of progressively larger diameter rim sizes.

Asking because for the FJ60 I have (5) each factory 15" and 16" wheels. I'm wondering if I ought to keep both sets.

Edit: The title says "obsolete". A better choice would have been "going out of production"

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Man, a 15 inch diameter tire is a bit small don't you think? But yes, there has been a decline in the availability of tires for a 15 inch diameter wheel, mostly due to the decrease in OEM demand because of larger brakes and wheels being sold on vehicles from the factory. The topic has been beat to death over the last 5 years or so and is nothing new. Even the new KO2 isn't available for a 15 inch wheel last I checked and that really blows.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Wheel diameter is the primary of the three parameters in tire sizing.

There has been a lot of discussion of the topic. But I have yet to see anything official from tire manufacturers. Using a forum search term like 15" will not provide answers.

So, I asked.

Per TireRack the KO2 is still available in many 15" sizes. But for how long?

Last edited:

Dake21

Adventurer
Do they still make 4x4 with 15'' wheels?
I guess it's going to become "obsolete" like the 14'' wheel.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Not a 4x4, but my friend has 13" wheels on his 1976 BMW 2002. He could only find two tires: one for snow and one for racing (R-compound). He's going to switch out the OEM wheels for 14" wheels.

doug720

Expedition Leader
BFG is making the new tires in all the old 15" sizes, with the exception of the 9.50, which was discontinued several years ago in the old tire.

Maybe all the 15's will go away someday, but not for a few years at least for the common 15" sizes for jeeps and other light trucks and SUV's

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Yes, as older vehicles head to the crusher, 15" tires aren't in demand as they used to be. I've got a Festiva that came with 12" wheels, try finding tires for that. I put on 14" so I could get some decent tires.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I 'm sure over time the 15" tires will be phased out. Are your stock FJ-60 16" wheels split rims? if so they are obsolete.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
From what I've seen 15" tires are still available and still pretty cheap. In fact, I was thinking of upgrading the 14" rims on my DD Mazda pickup (really a Ford Ranger) simply because 15" tires are cheaper and there are more choices.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I'm really glad I checked the size availability on the KO2's, back this spring they didn't have any listed for a 15" wheel. I can order a set of 5 of them in 33x10.50r15 for under $1k including shipping, might have to jump on this!

NMC_EXP

Explorer
My 16" FJ60 wheels are drop center tubeless design. They are non-USA.

I would not mind having a set of 16" lock-ring/multi-piece wheels. Easy to disassemble and patching a tube is easier than patching a tubeless tire.

I put myself thru college working in a truck stop tire shop when multi-piece wheels were on 90% of the semi trucks.

FYI - a "split rim" is entirely different from a flat based, solid wheel with a split lock ring (multi-piece wheel) as used on Land Cruisers.

I still breakdown and reassemble multi-piece wheels from my M101 trailer. But I would never touch another true "split rim".

The question that crosses my mind is, as new trucks and suvs come out they seem to be outfitted more and more with 17" and 18" wheels.

Will the 16" rim and tire go the way the 15" rim and tire sizes are going?

wmagill

Working in the tire industry at this moment i still stock a large variety of 15" tires where my 14" shelves became one shelf and the 13" shelf became a stack in the corner.

Sent from my LGMS395 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz