Arcteryx help

jeepxj13

Adventurer
Can someone recommend me a Arcteryx winter jacket for Alabama. I am new to the company and would like to buy a high quality jacket for the up coming winter. It will be a graduation gift so price is not a huge deal. $600 or so. I just want on I only have to wear a tee in the winter time and can layer if I go up north any.

Honu

lost on the mainland
what is the company ? :)

not sure if you have REI out that way or other store that carries them ?
I tried on a bunch ended up with one of their soft shell setups that have some stretch its light nice for cold dry mornings with just a shirt put on a fleece and its good in the snow for me with a turtle neck under it on sale at REI for under $200 its kinda like the current gamma jacket

for a harder shell I preferred the Mountain Hardware stuff in a more true SHELL design meaning non stretch type fabrics but can say the new stretch type stuff I love but I live in a dry climate for the most part

reasons I like the stretch type stuff is it comfort super wind resistance nice fit over true shell type setups

not sure if you know about TAD
http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/
worth a look also makes some really nice stuff

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I work for an Arcteryx dealer. For starters, I guess you have to decide if you want this thing to be waterproof and breathable. If that's the case, I think you're barking up the wrong tree. Arcteryx is proper backcountry gear. As such, most of what they provide are layered systems. Base layer (moisture management) + Mid Layer (insulation) + Outer Layer (water and wind proofness).

They do make some jackets that provide shell protection from wind and water while incorporating some insulation, but we're talking jackets for some pretty hidious winter weather. We're talking high mountain gnarl. Most people prefer to buy a shell and then apply the appropriate layers beneath it to achieve the desired warmth. This way you can have a blingy, fancy shell you can use in July rain storms and January ice blasts. If you get something like the Arcteryx Mako Jacket, you'll love it for the ten days a year you get to use it.

Personally, I think you'd get more versitility out of something like a combination of: Alpha SL Jacket ($319) and a down or synthetic jacket to go under it.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the help. Flounder can you recommend a layer setup for top and bottoms.
What I would recommend would be relative to what you want to do with this stuff. If you want to rip ski turns in hellish weather, that would require one system. If you just want to stay warm and dry on your way to the bar (I do that as much as I rip ski turns), then that would be a different system. What outdoor pursuits do you have in mind for this stuff?

I'd also point out that Arcteryx is often criticized for being ill-fitting. It's made for highly active backcountry enthusiasts. Those types are pretty lean and athletic. So, many people don't fit their duds.

jeepxj13

Adventurer
I'll be wearing it around campus and mostly hiking. I'll also have to use it on SAR type activities. No skiing in Alabama. Haha

Lucky for me I'm 6'4 and a lean 200, courtesy of the fire department. Thanks again for the help.

Retarius

Observer
I have a the LEAF (Law Enforcement Armed Forces) Atom AF jacket and love it. It is warm and very compressable. I have worn it with just a tshirt down to about 20* F degrees and a long sleeve shirt down to 0* F. Definately want to keep moving at those temps to stay comfortable but it would be more than enough for what your looking for. You may want to look at the LEAF Atom LT Pullover if you are going to be active in SAR. My buddy has one which I really liked. In my experiance (light infantry) the AF is good for being in a static location (or walking around ski towns) and the LT is better for on the move due to its lighter coreloft. I think that you qualify for the LEAF pricing as a Firefighter but you should email them. If your looking for something you can get at dealer like REI, I would look at the Atom LT Hoody.

Atom AF
http://leaf.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Jackets/Atom-AF-Jacket#Coreloft

Atom LT Pullover
http://leaf.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Jackets/Atom-LT-Pullover#Coreloft

Atom LT Jacket
http://leaf.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Jackets/Atom-LT-Jacket#Coreloft

Atom LT Hoody
http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Jackets/Atom-LT-Hoody#Coreloft

jeepxj13

Adventurer
You can never tell what the weather is going to be like in the south. Hot one day then snowing the next. I have looked at the LEAF gear and would love to have it but right now I'm only on the pro plan for the normal gear.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I'm a huge fan of my Theta AR, it has been great in a bunch of different climates. I took it on the the second part of the North American leg of E7 and it was good in Arizona as well as Newfoundland.

SkiMtb

Just another fan of Arcteryx.

Flounder is not surprizingly on-target with his input & layering a non-insulated shell; This stuff is serious nice backcountry clothing.

I've had the Sidewinder for 10 years & I swear by it. They have Great customer service (zipper became a problem, but still got me out of BC) and they replaced it, no questions asked (including color change). Bought it in Whistler, BC, '01, in school bus yellow. 147 days of powder, trees, rain and backcountry later, I brought it back to the good old USA, called em up, shipped it & they replaced jacket! Since then a 1000 of days of skiing, camping, chopping wood, fishing, hurricanes etc. (it's a hardshell)

The day I bought it, I took a long shower in it - no leaks!

Gave it to a Nor East on-mountain friend (his pack with gear was ripped off) & he put 100+ more on-mountain days in it ! Let's see...bought it for around $600 (can) 12 years ago and this thing won't die, not sure if it's as waterproof, but dam, its still a great working jacket and still looks really Cool! I hit it with Scotchguard every now & again.

Yup, the fit, well I'm 5 9" 195lbs of fire-hydrant poportions, in shape yes, type A body - no. In time: The fit is comforming, imho. My Mountain Hardware jacket is awesome & may even look betta for resort stuff, but I'd never feel secure in the backcountry without my Sidewinder. (Had a full side-zip blow out in my Mountain Hardware pants, -25F freeze malfunction, I was cold smoke skiing outside a NE resort & by the time I got back to vehical was cold & pissed, that is, until I put on my Arcteryx Spring pants & began drink'n)

Give me a phat credit card & I'd buy everything they make & probably a backup or two. In the meantime, I'll be scoping out my new Arcteryx. Good luck hunting for your shell !!! You cant go wrong with an Arcteryx (even if you plan mostly no-snow) adventures. Happily worn mine in 50F plus degree weather. Have at least 3-4 base layering systems and your All set :rappel:

Also: Thier Pants are great too, got an older version of the Beta AR pant, also wear these for a lot of differant foul weather adv.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles