ARB Zero fridge low voltage cutoff

enzo

Explorer
Anyone have issues with the low voltage cutoff on their fridge? I recently installed a Redarc BCDC, AGM battery and ARB fridge wiring loom going to the aux battery. The fridge battery monitor is set at low. I wish there was a way to turn the battery monitor off as I’m not concerned with a dead battery.

aearles

Observer
The Low setting doesn’t disengage until 10.1V, there would be no point in completely disabling it because at that point the voltage isn’t high enough to safely run the electronics... the fridge isn’t protecting your battery, it’s protecting itself.

You really shouldn’t run your aux battery that low anyway though if you want it to last.

enzo

Explorer
The Low setting doesn’t disengage until 10.1V, there would be no point in completely disabling it because at that point the voltage isn’t high enough to safely run the electronics... the fridge isn’t protecting your battery, it’s protecting itself.

You really shouldn’t run your aux battery that low anyway though if you want it to last.
Thanks

I thought it was good to discharge batteries occasionally?

Recommended books for Overlanding

john61ct

Adventurer
If your system is averaging only say 10% DoD then yes.

But hardly ever going deeper than 50%, and getting to true 100% Full as quickly as possible are much more important.

The LVC on load devices are there to protect their electronics, much too low a setpoint for battery health.

Separate external adjustable ones are required for that, or paying attention to a quality BM.

dreadlocks

If you used the ARB Fridge Wiring Loom it shoulda grossly oversized the conductors that the voltage drop at the fridge is minimal.. the only times it should shut down on you is if your cranking your starter (drags voltage way down) and if you severely over-discharged your battery.

I had some trouble w/ARB's LVD before, but I didnt have it set that low and the issue was mostly due to me shoving the fridge in a bear locker and running it off 30ft of cable off my trailer.. I ended up making the battery somewhat portable (but heavy af) and would just drag it over to the bear locker too.

Verkstad

Raggarkung
I thought it was good to discharge batteries occasionally?
I think that claim became popular 30 some years past as widespread use of nickel-cadmium batteries came to be.
NiCd batteries can suffer if repeatedly ’short cycled’.
To many people that warning morphed into ”all batteries”.