ARB vs TEPUI Awnings - which is better?

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
They're pretty much the same design with the same achilles heel (the pins connecting the crossbars to the legs). Pick your preferred size and go from there. FWIW, I am happy with my 6' Tepui.

sunnybean

Observer
They're pretty much the same design with the same achilles heel (the pins connecting the crossbars to the legs). Pick your preferred size and go from there. FWIW, I am happy with my 6' Tepui.

Is there a mod or way to fix these pins?

Sleam

Explorer
Since ARB doesn't respond to emails, I'd be interested in seeing the Tepui awnings. How would I mount it to stock 1995 4runner rack though? Does anyone have any experience with these awnings? Photos? Thanks, S

BentBomber

www.bomberproducts.com
I have not seen the Tepui awnings in person so take this for what its worth, but they very well may be made in the same factory with different branding applied. I've had an ARB awning for three or so years and had very few issues with it. I'd find a retailer you would like to buy from and who will respond to your emails if you have a problem and buy whatever they sell as long as the price point is similar. Looking at Tepui's awnings and having a reasonable amount of first hand experience with the ARB I see no real difference that will make one better than the other unless someone started using higher quality connectors/tubing.

ARB_USA

Supporting Sponsor
Since ARB doesn't respond to emails, I'd be interested in seeing the Tepui awnings. How would I mount it to stock 1995 4runner rack though? Does anyone have any experience with these awnings? Photos? Thanks, S

What email address are you using? We have a fully staffed customer service, sales and tech department here 8AM-5PM PST Monday-Friday. Someone should have replied to your email.

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
What email address are you using? We have a fully staffed customer service, sales and tech department here 8AM-5PM PST Monday-Friday. Someone should have replied to your email.

Would you guys put my CVT cover on one of your awnings? =p

I have a CVT awning and I love it.

That said, I think that ARB does have one thing going for it that's really appealing, and that's the number of velcro straps it has to secure the awning to the horizontal poles. The CVT and Tepui awnings i have seen all have 3 securings straps on the sides. One in the middle, and one on either end.

The ARBs I have seen have 5 on each side. One on either end, and then 3 evenly spaced between them.

"Wow Alex, who cares? You're an idiot."

What this does is holds the awning REAL tight to the poles. It flaps around less, doesn't sag as much in the middle, and the wind won't put as much stress on the velcro and/or stitching with the tension being spread across 10 straps instead of just 6.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
Is there a mod or way to fix these pins?

I used some JB weld on the inside and then glassed the outside to keep the pin in place. The proper solution is to not use plastic to hold the pin in the tube, at least they used a graphite infused plastic vice the crap you find on cheap folding chair hinges. The plastic and rod only extend into the tube roughly an inch while the pin extends three to four times as much which puts a lot of stress on the plastic when you are setting up or taking down the awning and a wind gust catches it. I've been considering either machining a set or coming up with a serviceable assembly the allow pin replacement in the event another one gets bent.

Kevin108

Explorer
I have a Smittybilt. It's the same as the other two, or close enough for me anyway. Never counted the straps...

2015-09-01%2017.47.05.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles