ARB skid plate set for Gen 2 Frontiers and Xterras

edsd90

Observer
Mid-December, I went up to ARB for a test fit of their under vehicle protection set, engineered for the rest-of-the world D40 Navarra. ARB suspected it would fit pretty much as-is, so we went for it.
The set is made up of four pieces that extend from the front of the truck to the back of the transfer case. Here’s a description from ARB’s web site, that covers the details better than I could:

ARB Under Vehicle Protection
Providing an unrivalled safeguard for the underside of your vehicle, ARB's underbody protection will give you peace of mind.
- Laser cut, press formed and folded to provide superior strength, this product is the result of extensive field testing and is available for a range of vehicles.
- Designed to protect vital underbody components including steering, engine sump, transmission and transfer case.
- Vehicle specific design
- Pressed and folded 3mm laser cut steel provides more strength than folded steel alone and allows optimum strength to weight ratio
- Securely bolted to the vehicle's chassis providing outstanding structural integrity.
- All steel components are zinc plated and powder coated in a silver textured finish
- Easily removed for vehicle servicing
- Recessed mounting bolts are protected and easy to remove for vehicle servicing

Before installing this set, I had a lone ShrockWorks front radiator skid plate (weight ~28#, forward of the front wheels), and my Frontier now sits a bit higher in the front with that skid plate removed and all four ARB skids installed. The set came in one carton, and can be lifted by one person.
The only fitting issue we had was the front skid, caused by the shorter frame horns on our US spec trucks. Measurements and photos were taken to send to Australia, where a US spec front skid will be designed, and test fitted when ready. To install, we only had to make some hardware adjustments to properly align that piece to the mounting brackets. As installed now, no one could tell the that it was not designed for our US Nissans.
The set could be ordered now from your local ARB dealer, and be fitted to a Frontier or Xterra with any bumper you have. It marries up perfectly to ARB’s front bumper valence, but is supported independently, so no ARB bumper is required.
They do not offer a fuel tank skid, so if desired, you’ll have to look elsewhere. To properly service the vehicle, at least the front two skids would need to come off, but once all the hardware is mounted up the first time, that task should be pretty simple.
To order, your dealer will need to contact ARB for the correct part number and pricing. They are not stocked in the US. If ordered before the US front skid is ready, it would come with the original front skid. Once I know the US version is ready, I’ll add another post to this thread.
The photos below:
- Transfer case skid, looking forward.
- Transmission skid, looking forward.
- Engine sump skid, looking toward back of truck.
- Complete set, looking back.

Attachments

• P1010379.jpg
    P1010379.jpg
    766.9 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010382.jpg
    P1010382.jpg
    703.8 KB · Views: 24
  • P1010380.jpg
    P1010380.jpg
    659.1 KB · Views: 24
  • P1010383.jpg
    P1010383.jpg
    644.4 KB · Views: 23

edsd90

Observer
I inquired, so have some specific product info.
The part number for the Under Vehicle Protection Kit is 5438100, and their real world estimated price is around $725.
Right now, they are back-ordered, with none on the water. The eta is February.

trump

Adventurist
They say it's easy to remove, but taking that off each time you do an oil change will get old quick. I was hoping to see an oil filter access panel designed for an adult sized hand and arm.

Macland

This is interesting but I'd like to see some testing and some stats. The cost of these is high for having no gas tank skid too.

Peck

Observer
3mm isn't very thick. As it is right now, I can rest the entire weight of my truck on any of my skids.

However, I am very glad to see ARB getting their hands further into our trucks -- it is always good news. And the price may be high, but ARB comes with great quality and their prices reflect such.

adrenaline503

Explorer
I emailed them last week to see what the deal was, no reply. Shipping a set of skids puts the ARB close to Hefty of any other offerings, since I can will call them here in Seattle.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Good to see ARB supporting the Nissans more.

All those holes will suck though for the rocks. As I always say, any good fab shop could fab up a set for close to the same price, IMHO.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Oh yeah....I bought a Shockworks C200 axle diff skid awhile back for my Patrol. The Patrol however with the C200 has a narrower cover. I simply cut the skid in half, removed about 3/8" from it and welded it back together. Here is a picture after I modded it....it is pretty stout and as you can see has taken hits.

main.php

edsd90

Observer
I emailed them last week to see what the deal was, no reply. Shipping a set of skids puts the ARB close to Hefty of any other offerings, since I can will call them here in Seattle.
Unless you know someone at ARB personally, the best approach would be to have a dealer order or make an inquiry. You can always will-call to save the shipping cost, however.
They don't have any on the water right now, and with a February ETA, so if you want a set, should place an order anyway to make sure some get on the boat.
The part number and estimated price is in post #3.

adrenaline503

Explorer
Unless you know someone at ARB personally, the best approach would be to have a dealer order or make an inquiry. You can always will-call to save the shipping cost, however.
They don't have any on the water right now, and with a February ETA, so if you want a set, should place an order anyway to make sure some get on the boat.
The part number and estimated price is in post #3.

I understand all that, I wanted to confirm directly with them.

edsd90

Observer
I understand all that, I wanted to confirm directly with them.
Adrenaline503 - I figured that, but you never know. They are swamped up there, always working on numerous projects at the same time, and some newer staff in the tech department as well. Marc is on this Forum, so try sending him a PM. Search for ARBTECH to find his posts, and try him that way. He was going to watch this thread and see what kind of reaction the skid plate set received, but bet he hasn't had the time. Try a PM, and we'll hope that works for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles