ARB single compressor (CKMA12) for airing up 32" tires and lockers?

andrew61987

Observer
I would like a means to air up my tires on the trail, currently 32". I don't have lockers but sometime in the future I may. Is the single ARB air compressor enough for this job or must I get the dual? I only air down about a half dozen times a year, maybe at most once a month. It says it's enough on their description but I was hoping for some real world opinions.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I have been using one for the past several years on my 32 inch tires and I've had no issues. It is not the fastest but it works well. I don't have air lockers though. I would say that the compressor is one of my most utilized mods.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I have the CKMA12 also. It takes about 4 maybe 5 minutes per tire to air my 35x12.50R15s from 14 PSI to 30 PSI (maybe a little more at high elevation). Only thing is it tends to get a little warm after a bit, so you might want to try to mount it somewhere where air from the radiator fan can blow right onto it (or set a high-powered computer-type fan next to or on top of it).
Other than that it's worked fine. I air down & up at least a dozen times a year.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You should also consider buying the mv50 SuperFlow compressor that many of us use with great results, a quick search will pull up many threads supporting its use.

Robert Bills

Explorer
You should also consider buying the mv50 SuperFlow compressor that many of us use with great results, a quick search will pull up many threads supporting its use.

I had an mv50 for about 2 years. It served its purpose - airing up 32" tires at a time money was tight. It was ok, but slow. Eventually it sucked a reed valve and stopped pumping air. Rather than try to fix a $50 compressor that was never all that great to begin with, I replaced it with a Viair 400p unit for $171 on Amazon (sale price that day, free shipping).

Moral of the story: Buy a good compressor the first time. It will be less expensive in the long run.

ARB is a very good compressor, and takes up less space than comparable units which is an important consideration for permanent installations in today's crowded engine compartments. However, after doing my product research and comparing compressor outputs I am persuaded that Viair is often a better buy. You should check out both product lines and decide what would work best for you. Unless you are certain that you will purchase air lockers in the future, a portable system like the Viair 400p might be a viable alternative for you. It fills my 32" tires from 18 to 35 psi in about 2:20 each (on average). [Even if you do get air lockers down the road, the portable system can be converted to a permanent mount with tank.]

81mb%2BRtZO0L._SL1500_.jpg

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Get the ARB Twin, you'll never regret it. I can fill four tires and make sandwich in the time it takes my FJ-80 friends to air two with the single compressors.

Weeds

Adventurer
I have the viair portable and the arb single mounted under the hood of my JK. The quality of the arb is better, but costs more. The viair has been ok, the rubber mounts all broke. The arb hose is more user friendly than the viair coil.

If you are only using a compressor several times a year, buy what gives you the best value for your budget.

1Louder

Explorer
My Viair died after 3 years. Why? I dunno. I haven't taken it fully apart to see if something is fried. I went with the single ARB and I am happy with it.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
I will only be using the compressor for airing up my 35's and some soccer balls at training sessions. No lockers at the moment. Is the single enough??

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Is the single enough??
Yes, if you are not in a hurry. I used to use a smallish Viair portable to air up 35s and it was fine. My last compressor purchase was an ARB single for 33s on a different truck.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I have that ARB and it's serving me very, very well around Africa.

Takes about 45 seconds to take my 34x10.5R17s from around 20 to around 32 psi

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior