ARB replacement bumper light

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
X-posted from NOR due to plenty of members here running ARB bumpers.

For quite some time now the bumper lights on my ARB haven't worked. Even after I bought it (used but in good shape) they were worked intermittantly.

So a few weeks ago I did a serious search for a replacement SET as I noticed during my attempted repair that several holes were developing in the plastic back. I found several but one looked quite interesting in that it had a clear cover. I needed them so the credit card was brought out. Less than a week went by and they arrived. Only issue was that they weren't clear lensed but in fact were tinted. Well they had an amber bulb so I installed them regardless.

With a little creative wiring I had them installed and operational within an hour. Easy for sure.

The results:

100_4425.jpg

Here's the funny part...they're not specifically listed for ARB bumpers or even Nissans for that matter!!! They are for a VW Jetta or Golf vehicles!

Easy DIY install! Perfect OEM Fit! Direct Plug and Play! Perfect for those looking to replace their ugly yellow, faded, or otherwise damaged front bumper marker lights!
NOTE: Fits Mk2 Small EURO bumpers and early Mk1 bumpers only. Will not fit US bumpers

And one more great note: Free shipping!

Price: 33.24$

If you're needing a set...

http://www.urotuning.com/shop/mk2mk1-front-small-bumper-lights-clear-p-1307.html

alexrex20

Explorer
nice find. did you just guess on the measurements, or did you verify first that they would fit?

my ARB bumper doesn't use the square fog lights, but i wasn't about to drop $150 on a pair of the ARB low-output driving lights. instead, i used some airplane landing lights. :D ARB tries to make their products proprietary so they can charge an arm and a leg for replacements. it's nice when people find a cheaper, better alternative. :)

alexrex20

Explorer
it's also a legal requirement in all 50 states in the USA to have indicators, but some vehicles (our nissans included) do not have them mounted in the bumper. as such, a bumper replacement does not need to accommodate an indicator. the lamps could be easily rewired as indicators, if you so desired.

admittedly, most States are pretty lenient when it comes to vehicle modifications.

we have to have those as indicators as well as the body ones

the rules here on the patrols especially with the rear lights :rolleyes: we cant use the standard lights in the rear....

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
I measured the original lights and when I found these I verified the sizes and they were very close. I actually found that link on the Yotatech forum. His were clear but mine came tinted.

In Texas we're required to have at least an amber lens/light forward. I have clear front markers in the stock position so these brought Stormy back to true legal status.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
... ARB tries to make their products proprietary so they can charge an arm and a leg for replacements. it's nice when people find a cheaper, better alternative. :)

Not so fast, ARB in some cases uses 'off-the-shelf' parts, such as the lights they are using in new bumpers that are a VW part ;) Yes, its commonly known that they are a VW part that should be pretty easy to find out and about. However they are not too expensive direct from any ARB dealer either, under $40/pair.

I've posted the VW bit in the past but a quick search pulled up this:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=717520&postcount=6

Xterabl

Adventurer
My understanding is the lights that came on the ARB bumpers are for blinker use only and that is why when I wired them to be on full-time with the headlights, they burned out.
Do these lights that you have purchased appear to handle ~full-time use (on always with headlights, as opposed to blinker duty)?

alexrex20

Explorer
My understanding is the lights that came on the ARB bumpers are for blinker use only and that is why when I wired them to be on full-time with the headlights, they burned out.
Do these lights that you have purchased appear to handle ~full-time use (on always with headlights, as opposed to blinker duty)?

Bulb life has more to do with the bulb, not the harness or socket or housing, etc. My ARB bumper has provisions for only one set of lights from ARB - fog lights.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Hey you get the daily prize! I was wondering how long it would be before someone noticed. Good eye!:sombrero:

alexrex20

Explorer
I noticed it from the first post, when I saw you're from San Antonio. :D Have you been stopped by a state trooper yet?

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Nope and even have taken the truck into a couple local townships that are notoriously harsh on traffic laws. No ticket so far...knocking on wood VERY hard and many times over!! lol

alexrex20

Explorer
In a span of 24hrs, I was pulled over 3x for no front plate, and 1x for busted rear plate lights. I was given a warning on all stops, but still... FOUR TIMES. :Wow1:

I've never heard of anybody actually getting ticketed for no front plate, but it's just one more reason for them to give us a hard time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior