ARB problems in a Gen3

offthepath

Adventurer
I've installed ARBs and 4.9 gears in my Gen 3. I'm having an odd leak with the rear ARB I'd like some input on. I plan on contacting ARB too, but so far I've only wheeled in the truck once and would like to get it out a few more times to make sure I am accurately describing the problem. We're in the middle of a move across the state so not a lot of time right now. This is the issue:

-Installed the gears and ARB. Bench tested the 3rd member for air leaks and it was good.
-The rear end was jacked up after install (suspension at full drop) for the first time running the compressor and the locker. It seemed fine for a few minutes and then air started leaking out the diff breather. It got worse to the point it was basically a blowing straight through the breather.
-Lowered the vehicle and drove it a few times around the block cycling the locker on and off. The air leak would decrease each time I cycled the locker. After 5-10 engagements, the leak stopped and the compressor would only cycle about once every 20-30min.
-Went four wheeling a few days later and the lockers worked perfectly.
-Drove the vehicle for about a month, but did not use the lockers. This week I was messing around on a dirt road using the lockers. Right off the bat, the rear was leaking air and the compressor running non stop. After driving for a while up and down the road cycling the lockers it stopped.

What do you guys think? Is there an issue with the install I did, a problem with the locker its-self, or should I just keep driving it and see what happens?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I would start with the bulkhead fitting, it's easy to check and replace. Check the blue line too, anywhere there is a pass through, bend or contact you may have a leak. Best thing is to run the line through a vacuum tubing to protect it before installing the blue line. Lastly you'll have to pull the diff cover and check the copper line but that's at the end of external inspection.

offthepath

Adventurer
The bulk head fitting could be a possibility, but given that cycling the locker stops the leak I feel it points to either the carrier bearing o rings, or more likely an internal leak within the arb unit.

I'll try and get a little more four wheeling in and update the symptoms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles