ARB Outback Solution Drawer Organization (show me you set up and load plan)

rayra

Expedition Leader
That's a nice full setup, I intend much the same when I finally get the drawers built for my Suburban. Got a stack of 12" toolbags from Harbor Freight, waiting to hold my gear by task. As well as a bunch of stuff I already tote around in a Sterlite footlocker.

yonah

Calling-in from west of the Rockies
Glad you liked the layout. Answers and commentary:

1) the square shaped box is actually a pair of PowerPole power outlets. They are small Anderson plugs and I can use them to power stuff. Coming from the radio world, they are kind of standard, so I can adapt to just about any other kind of plug. I've modified my lighting system, solar panels (they are actually large andersons) to be able to use them. I can also gang the, with a dual plug and connect my trailer to parallel the big battery there to tap it's power or recharge it.

2) didn't know they had dividers! My stuff is packed in there well enough nothing is moving.

3) yes, I just drilled through the top of the drawer and used fender washers to mount the slide. I also have air track on the right side for tying down my camp kitchen box and any other cargo. Same thing there

4) no problem to steal the coffee kit idea: it wasn't mine. The Java Can:
http://the-java-can.myshopify.com

I picked it up at Expo -- I like good (and strong) coffee. These guys have it put together in a nice turnkey kit!

Thanks again Chris. You've given me some great ideas to work with. I will probably need at least one divider on my drivers side drawer to separate the stove storage compartment from the dry food pantry area. I plan on packing the passenger side drawer in an organized fashion like you've done. I really do not think dividers will be necessary to keep the items from shifting around.

Also, here are some stock photos I found online for the Outback Solutions drawer dividers. At $25 a pop, they're a little pricey IMO, but they do match the interior carpet:
divider 1.jpg
divider 2.jpg

yonah

Calling-in from west of the Rockies

Chris Boyd

Explorer
McMaster-Carr. Track and tie-downs. I'm using the front runner strachits instead of bungles, which seem to be working well for my kitchen box.

mattpayne11

Here's my rear layout. The combo stove slide is an awesome piece of kit. Just added the cutting board deck.

4685b1c0de1ef8eb777ae2f32f91e268.jpg

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm working on a similar project on my 4Runner. I too have ARB slides and am waiting on my AT Overlander Combo to arrive. I have a shorter roller floor roller drawer Outback that I was intended to mount the AT slide to. I measured everything out and I still have room to my ceiling but my main concern is being able to actually access the fridge - have you had any problems getting items out because of high it is? I mean, I could always bring a step-stool, lol.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
I don’t have any issues getting into the fridge, as I am 6-3”, but my wife complains about it. She has to get up on her knees on the tailgate to look into the fridge. If it’s a real problem, I just pull the lid off of my fridge. I have the 37qt, but if it was bigger it might be a challenge.

I have a 2nd larger fridge in my trailer when we have the whole family on th trip, so the 37 just gets the stuff we need for day tripping from base camp or when I am solo.

I’ve considered adding an MSA drop slide to this setup, or a tilt slide, but haven’t really done the engineering on it to see if it is worth it.

On the 4Runner, I’d be curious about the clearance of the rear door. I don’t have one, but assume if it goes up clear of your head, then it should work fine.

The combo slide is the bees knees though! Nothing like finding a boondock spot and being able to deploy the whole kitchen and have little touching the ground.

mattpayne11

I don’t have any issues getting into the fridge, as I am 6-3”, but my wife complains about it. She has to get up on her knees on the tailgate to look into the fridge. If it’s a real problem, I just pull the lid off of my fridge. I have the 37qt, but if it was bigger it might be a challenge.

I have a 2nd larger fridge in my trailer when we have the whole family on th trip, so the 37 just gets the stuff we need for day tripping from base camp or when I am solo.

I’ve considered adding an MSA drop slide to this setup, or a tilt slide, but haven’t really done the engineering on it to see if it is worth it.

On the 4Runner, I’d be curious about the clearance of the rear door. I don’t have one, but assume if it goes up clear of your head, then it should work fine.

The combo slide is the bees knees though! Nothing like finding a boondock spot and being able to deploy the whole kitchen and have little touching the ground.

Thank you Chris for your fast reply, really appreciate that! =) Your post here inspired me to work on this project with gusto!
For the rear door, do you mean just the ability for the fridge to exit the rear of the vehicle, or do you mean being able to close the lift gate?
My friend Shane has the Combo Slide (he just sold his entire vehicle and moved to Costa Rico though) and I have seen him use it many times with envy!

Chris Boyd

Explorer
No, mean that the lift gate goes up enough to clear the fridge to open. I can only open my fridge lid about 60 percent, but that’s because my 270 awning requires my tailgate door to sit a little lower than full open. I can still walk under the door though...

Good luck with the project. Post up some results!

mattpayne11

No, mean that the lift gate goes up enough to clear the fridge to open. I can only open my fridge lid about 60 percent, but that’s because my 270 awning requires my tailgate door to sit a little lower than full open. I can still walk under the door though...

Good luck with the project. Post up some results!

Ahhh that makes sense. Yes, that is something I was concerned about as well. The fridge I'm getting is the 52L National Luna which is 20" tall and 15" wide. You can configure the lid to come up from the front or the side, meaning, if it was the side, the 15" would swing up from about 18" up. Keeping in mind the AT combo slides out beyond the lift gate entry, that "might" be ok. Worst case scenario, I can have the lid swing up from the front instead. Also worst case scenario, since I am mounting the combo slide on top of my 5.5" Roller Floor, I "could" have the roller floor slide out even further. I'd probably need something to support the AT Combo on the ground tough for that to work out...

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
I have added a bit more work area since my original post:

64ea6d80e4de39674c72ba55f030112c.jpg
Chris, nice use of the IGT table. Whose tailgate pad is that and did you drill some holes for the IGT to engage, or is it just PFM? I'd like to keep this tread going as I ordered the RDRF and RFH1045 about a month ago from Cruiser Outfitters. Looking forward to the install to better organize my LC100 after selling my Tacoma DCSB. I didn't appreciate how much room the bed really affroded me to "just throw it in" and am trying to maximize space in the LC as I'd like to solo sleep back there without having to unload too much. Recently picked up this table as a scratch and dent at a local outdoors shop. It heavy, which is the only reason I can see that the previous buyers may have returned it... it is like new. I am hoping it will sit on the wing next to the fridge.

Last edited:

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Hey, thanks.

It’s just food grade cutting board material that I got from a friend who made a batch of them, years ago. I just drilled some small holes to accept the snow peak hooks. I actually did a few sets so I can position as it’s shows, to the center, or to the right.

The legs are the Drifta adjustable legs which can go any length rather than the snow peak extension legs which have only two detents. Makes adjusting for uneven terrain a snap.

I believe trexxbox is making replacement covers similarly, but maybe not the food grade material. You’d have to check.

mattpayne11

I thought I'd respond as I have finally mostly finished my set-up. Thanks for all of the posts here that helped me along the way.

I have three ARB storage units:

1. RF945 on the right with the AT Overlander combo slide on top of it with a 55L National Luna Fridge. This also has my shovel, hatchet, etc. in it.
2. RD945 on the left. This has most of my cooking stuff and a cutting board in it.
3. RDRF945 on top of the RD945 with a FrontRunner 11 Gallon water tank mounted on top of it. This has my coffee box (important stuff) and pots/pans/stuff for doing dishes, plus my tools in it.

I picked up some storage bags from Blue Ridge to help organize things like bags, silverware, etc.
I also picked up some of the ARB cargo boxes to help compartmentalize my cookwear, spices, etc.

Cheers!

image6.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image4 (1).jpeg

image3 (1).jpeg

SnoRnR

I thought I'd respond as I have finally mostly finished my set-up. Thanks for all of the posts here that helped me along the way.

I have three ARB storage units:

1. RF945 on the right with the AT Overlander combo slide on top of it with a 55L National Luna Fridge. This also has my shovel, hatchet, etc. in it.
2. RD945 on the left. This has most of my cooking stuff and a cutting board in it.
3. RDRF945 on top of the RD945 with a FrontRunner 11 Gallon water tank mounted on top of it. This has my coffee box (important stuff) and pots/pans/stuff for doing dishes, plus my tools in it.

I picked up some storage bags from Blue Ridge to help organize things like bags, silverware, etc.
I also picked up some of the ARB cargo boxes to help compartmentalize my cookwear, spices, etc.

Cheers!

View attachment 635548

View attachment 635549

View attachment 635550

View attachment 635551

Thanks for sharing looks great. Do you have any issues opening the fridge lid once the slide is pulled out? I have a 4 runner with 8” Goose gear drawers. Looking at SCT or AT fridge combo slide with a NL 52/55L. Just wondered if you can fully open the fridge lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior