ARB Linx Install and Review

msoverland

Hi all, since there isn't much on the ARB Linx out there, we thought we'd share our experience, we took the plunge and picked one up a couple months ago.

Install process takes some time. We installed ours over a weekend at OK4WD. The control unit needs to be installed in the cab or a water secure area leaving some very small gauge wire to push through the firewall (not a big deal). The looms provided are all fitted with connectors to integrate with your existing ARB accessories. Our control unit and a manifold is located under the rear seat in our Tacoma.

To date, we just have the pressure control unit and lights connected but there's an airbag isolation kit sitting on my desk to be installed. We are using the pressure control module to fill/deflate our bags. Fully installed, we'll have a single air line from the compressor to the manifold under the seat and two lines out to the airbags. We don't have air lockers so we won't be utilizing that module. The pressure control module also makes inflating/deflating a breeze. Simply set your pressure and plug in your line and it'll go to the desired pressure.

Operation is pretty slick. This is not to be confused with other switch control module on the market, its much more intelligent than that. The big win here is everything is on one screen - all controls, switches, warnings, settings, etc. LINX gives us the ability to set air bag pressure for our camper on demand based on load. Our Intensity driving lights can be set to activate on demand, using brights, ignition off/on, etc. We can monitor our voltage on either battery and the speed/bearing/altitude is just a bonus. There are a host of display settings that can be customized to your interior cab color (just a nice touch).

You'll need to get crafty with mounting the display as vehicle specific mounting brackets aren't available in the states as of yet. We used mounts built by Hondo Garage for a Tacoma to hold ours and its a perfect fit! You'll need a dedicated USB port if you plan to leave LINX on full time; its comes with a power cord of course. The display operates on an Android platform so any of the features available on and Android are available to you. Set the scheduled power on/off feature if you want your device to sleep when you're not driving - we set ours to 8AM/8PM.

All said, we've got 5K miles on our LINX and its sharp! Since we have a camper now, we can easily remove our overland kit when its time to go back to work. LINX makes the load/unload process so convenient. A big win for the heavy haulers and air bag adventurers.

The integrated off road lights and battery monitoring is on point and you can even setup alarms for low voltage and such. We haven't integrated any other accessories to date but there are several ports open for controlling custom accessories. Simply plug them in, set the name of your accessory and tap for on/off. I expect ARB has a few tricks up their sleeve and we could see more for the LINX in the future. Oh, and another pointer, you'll need air lines and fitting - they aren't supplied with the unit. We bought ARB 5MM lines and push fittings from OK4WD.

Any questions - just send it!

dman93

Adventurer
There’s a similar product available from Arboreal Systems that’s been on the market for a while. It doesn’t have some of the the 4wd specific features of the LINX (tire and airbag pressure), and needs external relays for really high current switching, but features its own power distribution and monitoring unit coupled with a smartphone app that works with iOS or Android, which also allows some pretty good integration with the phone’s GPS (including speed, altitude, and heading) and mapping apps. It has battery voltage monitoring with programmable shutdown and an ambient temp sensor, and has many options for circuit switching (on, off, variable with PWM, time and temp based, etc). I have on in my Tacoma and have used them on motorcycles too ... you buy one control box per vehicle, then just use your phone to control any of them.
https://www.neutrinoblackbox.com/

willp07

I was almost sold on this over an Spod until I saw it doesn't simplify by removing the relays and fuses like the Spod does. ARB relay and other install accessories are not reasonably priced either.

ARB add this into the control board at a competitive price and you will no doubt overtake the market.

With the additional functionality of this unit like compressor, air bags, battery, etc it would definitely be a home run once relays and fuses are integrated.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

calsdad

How is the ARB Linx working out? Been thinking of getting one.

Here's one thing I've been asking about but can't seem to get an answer on (including sending an email to ARB) :

Does the head unit work in both "landscape" and "portrait" display modes - just like an Android cell phone would?

All of ARB's literature shows the control head unit in landscape mode. I read the documentation - and it doesn't mention anything about being able to turn it and get the GUI to work in portrait mode.

Asking because the best place for me to mount the unit in my truck - would work best if the head unit was in "portrait" orientation.

bigskypylot

Explorer
I'm looking for something like this or an SPOD. Will the LINX operate a NON-ARB compressor? I have my eye on an Extreme Outback Magnum. Any info would be appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior