ARB fridge wiring

Dave in Wisconsin

Just got a new ARB 50 qt.

I know the standard 12-volt plug in my ford Transit is not adequate for long-term use. However, do you think I could use it just for 2 days to drive out to Colorado where I will complete my electrical install?

So too then, when I install my special ARB 12-volt plug for my permanent system, some folks recommend 10 AWG wire. (That is the size of the ARB optional wiring kit-- 10 AWG.) One guy even used #8 wire--- to avoid voltage drop over a 12' span.

I don't get it--- the DC cord that comes with the fridge is only 16 AWG. If ARB only uses #16 why do we need so much more to supply the outlet?

Thanks,

Dave in Wisconsin

Mafo

Expedition Wannabe
Voltage drop...... that's my thinking?

Personally (and it sounds like you have it planned!) I installed a dedicated slightly oversized cable, fused, and the highest quality power socket I could find with a twist and lock function. There's a temptation to overdo many things when it comes to electrics, but ultimately avoid the nasty cheap components from certain websites and manufacturers is the only way to go. It'll cost more in the end!

Using it on your Transit socket should be fine for what you need for now. I recently leant mine out and it was used on two batteries with a simple female cig socket attached to two croc clips and a fuse. No problems - but I wouldn't want to use it in anger for several days. Hope this helps a bit!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
If you wire it too small, the voltage drop will get you when the vehicle isn’t running and your fridge will turn off. I ran 8 awg to a fuse panel with the cord hard wired. My other vehicle uses the ARB kit at 10 and almost full length. That one cuts off frequently and annoyingly. Most people discover the lower limit through trial and error then pay twice for the work... or pay once for slightly more and know you are ok.

In any event, you are probably fine on a factory socket while the vehicle is running.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I don't get it--- the DC cord that comes with the fridge is only 16 AWG. If ARB only uses #16 why do we need so much more to supply the outlet?

ARB only cares about getting current from the end of that plug to the fridge.

It's up to you to get it from the battery to the plug at a voltage that makes it happy. DC does not hold up over distance well, the longer the run and the more amperage you ask for, the bigger the wire you need to get it there.

Umbrarian

Observer

The DC cord covers the distance from fridge to the receptacle. The 10 Ga is to cover from the battery to the receptacle. I think on mine it is 20 feet. If I was going to the run that distance further, than yeah I might want 8 GA.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The DC cord covers the distance from fridge to the receptacle. The 10 Ga is to cover from the battery to the receptacle. I think on mine it is 20 feet. If I was going to the run that distance further, than yeah I might want 8 GA.
It's also not just the run but the return, which I suspect people forget. If you run a 10 AWG pair 20 feet the circuit with respect to voltage drop is actually 40 feet. And it may be worse, too, if you to use the frame for a common.

Umbrarian

Observer
It's also not just the run but the return, which I suspect people forget. If you run a 10 AWG pair 20 feet the circuit with respect to voltage drop is actually 40 feet. And it may be worse, too, if you to use the frame for a common.

My ARB wire was paired.

damarshall7

Voltage drop is traditionally measured and calculated using one way distances. If using a frame as a common, there is very little loss compared to wire due to the amount of conductor avaliable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles