ARB fridge 12v problem

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
They suggested I bring it to an appliance repair place, whatever that means.
Literally it means a place that fixes appliances. The working innards of your ARB are very much the same as any other modern kitchen refrigerator, with the exception of having an AC->DC converter and some additional control features. Hell, my brand new LG Kitchen fridge sounds so much like my old 12v Truckfridge that I swear LG is sourcing their compressors from Danfoss/Secop.

Reactions: plh

plh

Explorer
Literally it means a place that fixes appliances. The working innards of your ARB are very much the same as any other modern kitchen refrigerator, with the exception of having an AC->DC converter and some additional control features. Hell, my brand new LG Kitchen fridge sounds so much like my old 12v Truckfridge that I swear LG is sourcing their compressors from Danfoss/Secop.

Very well could be. I know my Amana has a TECUMSEH compressor in it, because I saw the tag when vacuuming dust bunnies, but the supply chain purchasing groups in household appliances are not that loyal to a brand. Generally compressors are quite, the cooling fan produces most of the noise.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
After 5.5 years of easy use, my arb 37L crapped out. I used the troubleshooting in the manual and concluded that the compressor is shot. I reached out to ARB in California and after some back and forth supplying documentation etc., they informed me that it's out of warranty after 3 years. I agree with that. But after five and a half years it dies on me and now I should be SOL? At $1,000, this is wrong. Anybody else have a similar situation? I'm thinking I need to replace it with an off brand. At this point. I can probably get 6 years out of a harbor freight model if they made such a thing.⁸

Maybe talk through your troubleshooting? Compressor failures aren’t commonly reported, it is possible that others might be able to provide second opinions.

slo60

I’ve been following this thread and having the same exact issue as the OP. I’ve got the 63qt Elements Fridge that I bought in 2018. Fridge quit working on the 12v side in 2021. I threw it in my garage and forgot about it till it was three months out of warranty in 2022. ARB would not warranty it. My bad, life was busy in 2020-2022! The tests in the service manual don’t actually pertain to the exact issue when the DC function is not working but the AC is and the control panel still lights up on AC but not DC. Ran through the series of recommended tests and determined that it was most likely the compressor control unit based on what I could ascertain from the service manual. Ordered and replaced but did not fix the problem. Then I ordered and replaced the main circuit board and the control panel circuit board. Still no dice.

I am getting 12v power into the circuit boards, Thermistor tested and functioning as it should. Not sure what else to do at this point but it sucks having a $1,400 boat anchor. Please do yourselves a big favor and never purchase an ARB fridge. I’m now looking for another fridge that isn’t an ARB.

mypet

Some good suggestions you have gotten as I am able to read the replies here.
In my view, ARB is a good company as I see its popularity and the customer happiness score.

Roughly, there would be two things:
12v power cord issue, or
Circuit board issue (the 12v circuit)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior