ARB Elements need help

FJR Colorado

Explorer
the fact that it runs for a period then quits still potentially points to a loose connection that builds heat then shorts out when hot enough. Can you change DC cords and see if you get similar results?

Tried that. Will look again for something loose.

Thanks again.

One thing I will say is that all connectors seem top quality and some are going to be a huge pain to get off cleanly.

WOODY2

Adventurer

Thanks again.

One thing I will say is that all connectors seem top quality and some are going to be a huge pain to get off cleanly.
Hardwired to properly sized wire? There has to be an answer !?

john61ct

Adventurer
Stuff comes loose on the PCBs too.

Look for full replacement boards as well from third parties.

Or sell the unit on to a tinkerer.

Note many cheap models don't last 5 years, but ARB sure should.

WOODY2

Adventurer

Thanks again.

Hope this helps, I think your voltage cutoff is set to high?
Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 12.29.50 AM.png

Last edited:

shade

I think we are getting close to the answer?
Maybe. Of the flaky 12V plugs on the market, ARB's isn't the worst, but it's still a weak design.
Between the cord, fuse, and whatever else is in the way of the battery, voltage drop could do it.

Regardless, if the fridge is trying to indicate what's amiss, that's a good place to start.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Maybe. Of the flaky 12V plugs on the market, ARB's isn't the worst, but it's still a weak design.
Between the cord, fuse, and whatever else is in the way of the battery, voltage drop could do it.

Regardless, if the fridge is trying to indicate what's amiss, that's a good place to start.
The ARB 2 Pin plug is a great design, But I would not try and run the fridge using the lead with the normal Cigar attachment attached, but the 2 pin is awesome,

shade

The ARB 2 Pin plug is a great design, But I would not try and run the fridge using the lead with the normal Cigar attachment attached, but the 2 pin is awesome,
I was referring to the cigarette lighter / 12V power point plug.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I was referring to the cigarette lighter / 12V power point plug.
Yeah mate I thought you were they are real pain, any vibration or the slightest movement and the thing shuts down, $1000+ Fridge and warm Beer, Not my Idea of heaven. :eek: ?

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Yeah mate I thought you were they are real pain, any vibration or the slightest movement and the thing shuts down, $1000+ Fridge and warm Beer, Not my Idea of heaven. :eek: ?

Yes, had the dedicated ARB plug thingy. Not the cig plug. Same behavior either way.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Here's another thread that may let you know you're not all alone. https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/arb-37l-fridge-help.174408/ The reality of the issue is that the unit actually runs on 12 volts regardless of whether you apply 12v or 120v, an onboard transformer busts the 120v down to 12v. Have you tried using a totally different 12v power source to see if issue repeats?

Oh, yeah. Tried it all.

It's torn apart now and a main control board is ordered. We shall see.

Any advice out there on removing all those cables from the board? What's the magic tool?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94