ARB Differential Cover

IH8RDS

Explorer
I installed my ARB Diff Cover on the Dana30. This cover is stout! I like the dipstick and two magnets allot. After a river crossing I can check the oil for water intrusion with out having to remove the cover. The drain is easily accessible also so I will not have to remove the cover for routine oil changes.

ARB Differential Cover

Diff_pic.jpg

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
I've seen those....so it went on easily and seems that it will take some punishment ?
Doesn't it have a hole for if you have an ARB air locker ,too ?

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
pathfinderdriver said:
...Air Lockers ...d35.
Be careful.... A full spool in a D35 is just asking for tears, IMHO.

Diff cover looks good, I really like the ability to check the fluid on the trail. I've drained Chocolate Milkshake fluid out of my diffs too mant times for comfort.

-----Matt-----

IH8RDS

Explorer
Maximus Ram said:
I've seen those....so it went on easily and seems that it will take some punishment ?
Doesn't it have a hole for if you have an ARB air locker ,too ?

Went on easy. Just like a normal cover.
No it doesnt have a hole for the locker, but it is best to put the hole on the top of the axle anyway

IXNAYXJ said:
Be careful.... A full spool in a D35 is just asking for tears, IMHO.

I would agree with the ARB in the 35. I would look into swapping in a 29 spline 8.25 or XJ D44. (direct bolt in) I personally went with an 8.8. (Requires new spring perches) Unfortunately, they dont have the cover for an 8.8 yet:(

IXNAYXJ said:
Diff cover looks good, I really like the ability to check the fluid on the trail. I've drained Chocolate Milkshake fluid out of my diffs too mant times for comfort.

-----Matt-----

Matt, that is the reason I got this. Milkshakes on the trail, will be allot easier to manage now.:wings:

John90XJ

Adventurer
pathfinderdriver said:
Yeah those are pretty nice. I'm going to be getting those when I do my Air Lockers on the d30 and d35.

BTDT

ARB + D35 = KaBoom!

Save the money on the ARB until you can upgrade to a worthy axle like an 8.8.

John90XJ

Adventurer
XXXpedition said:
ARB + D35.....

what size tires are you running???

I blew mine up while running 33" BFG MTs in Pritchett Canyon at Moab.

Granted, I was doing a test for ARB at the time and they had hoped that it might blow a shaft so they could see what would happen to the modifications they had made to the locker. In this case, we all kinda knew it would happen.

If someone were using smaller levers like 31s they could get away with it.

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
IH8RDS said:
Unfortunately, they dont have the cover for an 8.8 yet.
Damn. Time to start a petition...I really that cover.
John90XJ said:
If someone were using smaller levers like 31s they could get away with it.
Agreed...but I just don't see the point. Throw in a L/S (True-Trac or similar) or Lockrite and eliminate the complexity.

True-Tracs and 31's work really well.

-----Matt-----

fwop

zzzzzz
Also, probably best not to use the drain hole exclusivly.
It's good to take off and clean the housing and cover- some of those shavings and chunks wouldn't drain...
you can get a reusable gasket like the LubeLockers and have the job done pretty quickly and feel better about a clean healthy diff.

madizell

Explorer
The covers looks like a good product. Being able to check oil level or condition is putting the problem backwards, though, in my opinion. Not that it is a bad thing to be able to check fluid level, but it is not something that needs doing on a daily basis. First, axles should not leak. Period. So, where would the fluid go from day to day?

Secondly, axles should not leak the other way around, either, so crossing creeks should not pose a problem. If you have water intrusion, you have stock vents (read improperly vented axles). Remove the stock vent, insert a brass or steel hose bib, run hose to the top of the firewall or at least well above the depth of water you expect to cross, put the dust guard on the high end of the hose and eliminate the intrusion. I drove off road in Alaska for years, including regular water crossings in the 3 to 4 foot range and bogs deep enough to hide a Vokswagen, and never had water in the axles.

Same for the transmission and transfer case. Run vent hose to the top of the firewall and you should get no water in either of those as well.

Even if you don't expect deep water, venting axles and driveline to a secure location will improve air quality by putting the vent away from dirt and dust.

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
madizell said:
First, axles should not leak. Period.
I agree, yet mine always do. My vent tubes are correctly mounted and I still have these issues. Axle seals can also let water in (why else would companies offer upgraded water tight ones?), no matter how new they are.

Maybe part of my problem is living in the Pacific Northwest, some of our trails turn into rivers in the wet season (roughly 11.8 months of the year). I have literally driven miles in hub deep water. In any event, being able to check the fluid is a nifty feature and saves money on RTV.

-----Matt-----

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94