ARB Compressor question

kenallwine

Adventurer
For our trip back in August I installed an ARB CKMA12 high volume compressor in the JK and also picked up the ARB air line kit for tires.

My concern is how hot the couplers got and the first 12" of the flexible air line were. I'm concerned at some point the air line will fail. Is this a valid concern with the ARB airline? It wasn't running in between tires. I would fill one tire and my wife would shut it off until I needed it back on.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
For our trip back in August I installed an ARB CKMA12 high volume compressor in the JK and also picked up the ARB air line kit for tires.

My concern is how hot the couplers got and the first 12" of the flexible air line were. I'm concerned at some point the air line will fail. Is this a valid concern with the ARB airline? It wasn't running in between tires. I would fill one tire and my wife would shut it off until I needed it back on.

They will get hot, did you install the coupler 'shields' that help keep your fingers out of harms way?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yup, they get hot. At least they did with the old compressor along with the compressor unit itself. That compressor was definitely too hot to touch.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Coupler shields? I didn't see anything in the box like that. Maybe I'll have to look again.

3/4 round sheet metal shields that attach to the groove in the coupler, they allow you to slide the coupler open and remove the hose without touching the hot coupler.

ARBTECH

Observer
Thought I could help here. That hose (the orange one) is high grade silicone rated to 350 degrees. It was hard to find and is Japanese made. Nice stuff.

Why is it so hot? The CKMA12 is all motor and cylinder with not much tank. Like a small car with lots of motor, it's basically a hotrod among compressors When run for extended periods the head assembly will run just above 300 degrees F. and the air not much cooler. It is designed to run at these temps with a 50% duty cycle. Be cautious with the fittings (especially if the alloy heat shields are not in place) as they get very hot as noted. There is no need to stop between tires, just give the compressor a cool down after about 30 minutes of use, a bit shorter in higher temps. Keep in mind that if it does overheat it has thermal protection and will shut down if it gets too hot without damaging it. Hard to do, but if it can happen.
Marc
ARB Tech dept.

kenallwine

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback Marc. I guess I'll just use a pair of leather gloves in the future. I only run it for 5-10 minutes at a time when I am filling the tires. It might be longer now that I picked up a set of 35s.

mudbutt

Explorer
..... It might be longer now that I picked up a set of 35s.

Nah.... My CKMA12 will fill four 32" tires from 18/20 to 32 psi in 4 minutes..... They kick butt...

I ran hose from the compressor to the front and rear of the Jeep and added quick disconnects.

Never have to worry if it's too hot to handle.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles