ARB compressor in a Zarges case

Imager993

Pixel Monkey
I’ve got a new Land Rover Defender coming in January, so I’ve been prepping what’s going to eventually live on the roof rack (Front Runner). I currently have the single ARB compressor in the box and like it because it isn’t as big as the dual but still gets the job done. What I don’t like is the cheap plastic box it comes in. While kept on the roof of my current vehicle, it has already gotten pretty discolored by the sun so I know I can’t just throw it on top of the Defender as-is for the long run.

While looking into roof top storage options and eventually settling on two permanently mounted and locked Zarges boxes (40568), I had the idea of ripping out the compressor from the plastic box and installing it in the Zarges. A bit of web searching turned up only two other documented installs like this, but with the larger dual compressor and a smaller case taking up the entire space. My intent was to take up only part of the case with the compressor, and use the rest for compressor accessories, tire repair tools, and eventually some recovery gear.

I didn’t make a fancy video, but here are photos of the build. Knowing how compressors vibrate like crazy and not wanting the case to either rattle loose or act like a speaker, I found some heavy duty vibration isolators with M8 hardware. A few rubber washers and nyloc nuts, and it should be pretty weather proof. Not shown is upsizing the holes in the compressor plate.

This will be used with the case open and power cable and air hose coming out the open top. Maybe some day I’ll hard wire the electrical, but the compressor will always need the top open for intake anyway so there isn’t much use in an external house attachment through the side of the case.

Has anybody else mounted theirs in a better case like this for vehicles not suited for an on-board install?

Attachments

• 2683964C-0CCB-4194-863B-4D7CF4DC9353.jpeg
    2683964C-0CCB-4194-863B-4D7CF4DC9353.jpeg
    911.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 3BF15EB6-FF67-47A0-B0FA-81C760AF1B97.jpeg
    3BF15EB6-FF67-47A0-B0FA-81C760AF1B97.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
  • 3C882860-FDF0-40DC-8A16-91BC8C85BE86.jpeg
    3C882860-FDF0-40DC-8A16-91BC8C85BE86.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 45
  • DABBF2B4-038B-46B4-A6BA-973FD0784C0C.jpeg
    DABBF2B4-038B-46B4-A6BA-973FD0784C0C.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 49
  • CB0C6669-CE76-40B0-B226-180E794090A0.jpeg
    CB0C6669-CE76-40B0-B226-180E794090A0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • F98531E6-0707-4F47-B510-84B4E7FBE3B7.jpeg
    F98531E6-0707-4F47-B510-84B4E7FBE3B7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • 60D96C2E-1606-44B7-890E-25F60A7DA5A3.jpeg
    60D96C2E-1606-44B7-890E-25F60A7DA5A3.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 48
  • 56C2A093-887F-4961-A5C8-6E88CE1B8DDB.jpeg
    56C2A093-887F-4961-A5C8-6E88CE1B8DDB.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Reactions: WVI

pluton

Adventurer
My take: I'm looking at that same ARB single compressor for when my current one goes belly up. The case they sell it in is junk...a cheap $13 toolbox . I would go with a Pelican, Storm, or other HD plastic case. Even with vibration isolators, rubber washers, etc I fear that the Zarges type case will be a noise propagator, instead of a noise canceller. Also, any loose metal or hard plastic items in the Zarges will want to rattle against the case walls. Be prepared to line the inner walls of the Zarges with foam sheets.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Don't forget to line the box with tool box liner or spray on bed coating. That will prevent the aluminum dust that will be created by having things moving around in the box.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I have the Single Portable and the Twin Portable and I prefer using the Single, The Twin must be stored Flat because if there is any condensation in the pipes or tank If you store it standing upright then it all drains in to the outlet pipe from the Tank and corrodes blocking the Pipe, I had it happen with mine after only being used once and I thought it was the pressure switch so I bought 2 and still didn't work and then when I removed one end of the pipe the Air would not come out So I removed the pipe completely and pushed some wire down the pipe and a load of rusty crud came out and once i was happy that it was clean I put it back together and it works like a Charm.

The Single is a Joy to use, (y)

krick3tt

Adventurer
Thought about the ARB but I have a Viair already that fits perfectly into a fat 50 ammo can. Water and dust proof and portable to go into any vehicle.
The ARB is a beautiful and functional compressor but a permanent mount under the bonnet exposes it to many corrosive elements so your idea of enclosing it in a roof mounted box seems like a good solution. As has been mentioned, spraying the inside of the case with a type of sound deadening material is also a good idea. Much can be added to the case to facilitate additional items to help with tire repair. Don't forget safety goggles and the ability to secure items in the case to discourage things from rattling around.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Thought about the ARB but I have a Viair already that fits perfectly into a fat 50 ammo can. Water and dust proof and portable to go into any vehicle.
The ARB is a beautiful and functional compressor but a permanent mount under the bonnet exposes it to many corrosive elements so your idea of enclosing it in a roof mounted box seems like a good solution. As has been mentioned, spraying the inside of the case with a type of sound deadening material is also a good idea. Much can be added to the case to facilitate additional items to help with tire repair. Don't forget safety goggles and the ability to secure items in the case to discourage things from rattling around.
I bought the ARB Portable Single first and a week later I wanted to know how fast the Twin was so I bought it too, I have since sold my 4x4 and have a MPV/Camper so both compressors are overkill really, The single is fast enough But the Twin takes my Tyres from 0psi to 40psi in about 43 seconds Or less, The Single is my GoTo Choice, It's light and takes up less room and with Car/Van Tyres there is just no point in using the big one, The big one has the bragging rights butone thing to remember is if a person buys the Twin then they must also buy the Digital Tyre Inflator because the Twin will Kill the 100psi Analog Inflator due to the Over Pressure being 150psi,

I love ARB's 0-50psi Low Pressure offroad 3 and 1/2 inch Gauge, they are very accurate to less than a 1/4psi or less, but if your tyre pressures are over 40 psi then I would not recommend it as that is pushing it's upper limits,

I found this thread after typing in Pelican and air compressor.

Is there anyone out there who can provide me the dimensions of a case which could store an air compressor like a ViAir and the hose? I think it would be larger than the 1520.

pluton

Adventurer
Various online retailers have comprehensive dimensions charts (internal/external) for Pelican, SKB, and the other similar cases. Once you have the dimensions of the exact model compressor you intend to use, it's easy to sift through the size charts to find the case you need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles