ARB bumper issue

dr350jja

Observer
Well, now I have another dilemma. I recently installed the ARB front bumper on my Tacoma. When I called ARB, before the install, they said the bumper install would retain the factory front tow hook. Well, after the install, I realized the hook is there, but it is totally unusable, since I cannot get a tow strap or D-ring shackle on it. There is not enough clearance between the hook and the bumper components. Seems like it’s always something. :(

Attachments

• PA210079.jpg
    PA210079.jpg
    508.2 KB · Views: 28

mjohns2

Observer
I'm not going to be able to help, but I'm looking into getting an ARB Front Bumper early next year (hopefully they change the design). One of the first questions that came to me was, what year is your Tacoma?

dr350jja

Observer
Well, the hook can't be mounted on the other side, since there are no mounting holes. But, it can be turned upside down and mounted that way. However, I don't think it's optimal, with the way the hook is curved. But, I don't see any other alternative. :D

NikonRon

Adventurer
I have a 2009 and I can get a nylon strap on mine, but cannot get a shackle on it. I did pick up a nylon strap just for that reason. Ron

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Can you notch the bumper in that area enough to achieve what you want? I know it's not ideal but it's only new once, now that it's out of the box and mounted it's used.:elkgrin:

4xdog

Explorer
I think ARB dropped the recovery points on most of their new products -- some sorta liability concerns IIRC. Certainly my circa 1996 early-XJ bullbar has them, as does my circa 2009 Gen 1.5 Tacoma bullbar.

The tow hook on the Gen 2 Tacoma is a different design from the earlier ones -- I've not spent enough time underneath one to note that before. Here's a shot of the tow hook my 2001 Tacoma. If the mounting centers are the same (and on Toyota, those kinds of things tend to stay constant for long times) maybe fitting a tow hook from the earlier Tacoma would give you the clearance you need?

Don

i-QBbqDxF-L.jpg

dr350jja

Observer
I think ARB dropped the recovery points on most of their new products -- some sorta liability concerns IIRC. Certainly my circa 1996 early-XJ bullbar has them, as does my circa 2009 Gen 1.5 Tacoma bullbar.

This is the email response I got from ARB:
Hi Jim,
the reason that bumper doesn't have recovery points built in is due to the very light nature of the frame out near where the bumper connects to the chassis. Specifically, our engineers designed the bracket to accept controlled winch loads which rarely exceed 10,000lbs, but could not build a system that would work correctly with the crush rates for the airbags and tolerate snatch type loads (which spike extremely fast and often exceed 25,000lbs) at the same time. This is why the factory recovery point is reused since it's back further on the frame and much more robust in design. Unfortunately very few modern vehicles have sufficient structure and strength in the frame horns to allow for solid recovery points to be added along with the bar. You pretty much have to get to fullsize trucks to find a serious frame and rigs like the Tacoma are just too car like in engineering to allow us to include recovery points even when we would like too.

dr350jja

Observer
front tow hook

So the hook can be flipped over and mounted that way. But I'm not so sure I like the angle of the hook now. But, at least it's something.

Attachments

• PB030080.jpg
    PB030080.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 13
  • PB030081.jpg
    PB030081.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 13

B...

Did you have to modify the stock hook to get it to mount flush or was it a simple remove, flip, re-attach?

dddonkey

Adventurer
I would leave it flipped over like that for now and maybe look into getting something make at a local fab shop. I would think something like a steel plate the same thickness as the stock hook but extends out far enough for a shackle. I would not think that it would cost much and you could make yourself if you have the tools, also you could reuse the factory bolts. I am just thinking out loud here sorry if it does not help much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz