ARB Bull Bar signal lights corroding quicker than I thought

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Wondering how many of you own an ARB front Bull Bar that has the two orange/amber signal lights in it. My LCs have had these bumpers right from the get go and I love them. In fact ARBs equipment is amongst some of the best going for this sport/hobby.

Having said that I am on my second set of completely new (thank you ARB freebie replacement) signal lights and they too have corroded so much that the bulb is frozen to the connector but is still good. I can put the voltage across it and it lights! Unfortunately, the connector has corroded so much it doesn't do it any longer. This is my second set in 5 years...am I expecting too much for these to last longer than 2-3 years each? I don't think I go into water more than anyone else does and it is fresh water not salt water. I must admit we do have snow here and hence slush but probably less than Renton/Seattle, WA and it is dryer here save this summer!

When I emailed/called ARB regarding this, they were more than happy to send me a second complimentary set. The tech rep also agreed that was one of the weaknesses of the bumpers like that. However, I have not heard of any upgrades or changes despite our rather lenghty conversation and agreement of a better way to make these.

Now my second complimentary set have stopped working or at least more off than on. I don't feel I should contact them again until I hear from any of you with similar findings and perhaps then they might try to get a redesigned set out, if it is not just a single customer.:costumed-smiley-007

Toyotero

Explorer
I have an ARB on my 4Runner... I bought it used, and it came without signal lights. I'd kinda wondered why, but didn't think much of it. Perhaps I know why now. I made an adapter bracket and installed the factory lights.

If I were you, I'd give ARB a call again. It has got to be costing them a lot of money to be replacing lights for customers, so I would think that they would get this corrosion issue resolved with their supplier pretty fast. Perhaps they have already resolved it, and your next set will be better than the last.

keezer37

Explorer
I have the amber/clear signals with fog assy on my Tacoma. http://www.trdparts4u.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-8226 This is the newer bumper ARB makes for the Tacoma. I bought it last January and installed it in April. These light assemblies are obviously very cheap. So much so that they looked kinda odd in comparison to the rest of the bumper when I was putting it together.The adjustment springs for the fogs have surface rust already and they've yet to hit their first salty winter and the amber/clear lens does not use a gasket. So, they are obviously not concerned with improving these lights and I guess there is more profit in handing out new ones to those who are concerned with their working.
I'll be knocking on their door should the need arise.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Last edited:

CanuckMariner/Nomad

If we could find a supplier for LEDs or other direct replacement light kits (that don't rust out so bad) for the older ARB Bull Bar front bumpers:
  1. Who would be interested in a group buy? (I know it depends on the price but lets get s show of interest first.)
  2. Who knows of a company/supplier that can help us out?

We would have to get at least 10 interested parties to begin and then establish a supplier and pricing (S&H). Post up here and if enough interest we can start a special thread just for this.

I will be trailing for a couple of months, so if someone could find a supplier and work us a good group buy price, ship to one location in lower 48. Then ship out to each of us from there.

The pair of lights would be able to fit in the small USPS postal flat rate box (they deliver and pick up the boxes, labels and finished parcels) for about $5.00 each (postal charge).

I am in for the first pair!:costumed-smiley-007

Sirocco

Explorer
the ones on my Defender are from a MK1 Golf/Jetta. I would imagine your are the same then.

About £10/pair here in the UK. I usually smash mine before they corrode. They are just simple units really, nothing fancy.

2-3 years sounds about right, but then I am a Rover owner and 2-3 years is a longtime for any part!

G

4xdog

Explorer
I've had the same set in my 1988 Cherokee since around 1996. No issues at all.

I notice the ones I'm getting ready to install later this year in my 2001 Tacoma's bullbar look to be from a different source. We'll see how these do...

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I swapped out after mine kept filling with water even after being sealed (and no water crossings were involve). I'm now using Whelen TIR 6 signal strobes in safety yellow.

Stock then TIR6
img141.jpg

img144.jpg

http://www.strobesnmore.com/whelen-500-tir6-super-led.html

These are a much better and highly visible replacement leaving no doubt which lane I intend to get in.

A

CanuckMariner/Nomad

the ones on my Defender are from a MK1 Golf/Jetta. I would imagine your are the same then.

About £10/pair here in the UK. I usually smash mine before they corrode. They are just simple units really, nothing fancy.

2-3 years sounds about right, but then I am a Rover owner and 2-3 years is a longtime for any part!

G

Well said! Sirocco!:costumed-smiley-007

I swapped out after mine kept filling with water even after being sealed (and no water crossings were involve). I'm now using Whelen TIR 6 signal strobes in safety yellow.

These are a much better and highly visible replacement leaving no doubt which lane I intend to get in.

A

Thanks for the link xc.:costumed-smiley-007:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles