ARB Awning on Provan Tiger

rawtoxic

I have been struggling for months to pick an awning for our 2005 Provan Tiger CX. This morning I just researched a few hours and just ended up more confused in which direction to go.

Our Tiger has about 104" inch footprint above RV door on passenger side for an awning. The height above the ground to mount is about 86".

Most Provan Tigers seem to use Fiamma F45s 8' model with 6'6" extension. However there is many other models more overland/ van life style out with a 8' - 8'6" extension which is attractive to me along with the lower price point of these models. Fiamma is about $1000+ after tax, we do have an older Tiger so not sure I will recoup on resale.

The ARB 2500x2500 standard awning is calling for a maximum install height of 82". I can't figure out why this max height matters but maybe someone with more experience can tell me? I understand I may have more slope to my fabric roof since the legs are a set height.

I can understand I may not be able to use an ARB aftermarket rooms and goodies designed with the 82" maximum install height in mind but I don't understand what else could go wrong installing a few inches higher than spec if I will be using the awning.

Also am a bit unsure how these roof rack style will convert to side mount install that is nice and flush fitting but I seen a post of a guy who put an ARB on his yard shed so I know it's doable.

Any other advice for picking an awning would be appreciated as I am not getting very far

Thanks in advance!

eyemgh

I have that ARB awning on my current rig. It will be a huge pain at that height. It rolls up by hand. Getting it out will be hard enough, but getting it back up will be a pain. They are unwieldy.

We‘re building a new rig. After exploring all of the options out there decided to go in a completely different direction. Too many people I know have damaged their awnings. We bought a Dragonfly tarp. It’s worth a look. It’ll deploy as fast as the ARB, come down faster, and be stronger and safer in the wind than any awning.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The ARB 2500x2500 standard awning is calling for a maximum install height of 82". I can't figure out why this max height matters but maybe someone with more experience can tell me? I understand I may have more slope to my fabric roof since the legs are a set height.

I can understand I may not be able to use an ARB aftermarket rooms and goodies designed with the 82" maximum install height in mind but I don't understand what else could go wrong installing a few inches higher than spec if I will be using the awning.

You've got it - the two things are (1) the max length of the legs - you wouldn't be able to have a "level" awning, but that's fine, and (2) the max height of accessory walls like screen rooms, etc.

Also am a bit unsure how these roof rack style will convert to side mount install that is nice and flush fitting but I seen a post of a guy who put an ARB on his yard shed so I know it's doable.

The ARB has what is essentially a pair of "T-slot" tracks on the back extrusion. You slide in either 6mm nuts or 6mm hex-head screws into the slots and through-bolt to a bracket or something similar. To mount that system to a vertical wall, you'd probably want some kind of dog-leg shaped bracket to bring the ARB mounting surface at least a little bit away from the camper wall so that you have access to the backside for fasteners. If you were really creative, you could probably also do it with a bit of shallow tubing with some carefully milled holes and slots. (Through holes to mount the tubing to the camper wall, then holes on the outer face to mount the awning plus slots in top or bottom to get a wrench or socket on the fasteners to the awning.)

rawtoxic

Thanks so much guys, at the 86" height I do have to be aware how difficult it is to deploy the awning I feel we will use something more that is easy to setup. Looks like the ARB is out. Any other brands I should consider or tarps?

I reviewed some Dragonfly Tarps info and emailed the owner about fitment of a van style tarp on our Provan Tiger CX. I'm back at that $1k price point but at least I like the idea of the a Dragonfly better and it would be easier to move to a new vehicle when we upgrade. The amount of shade you can get with the tarp is also impressive and the fact you can tinker to get shade or drainage where you want it can be very helpful.

I like some serious shade my mom has skin cancer from too much sun so I'm very in tune with keeping the UV away. I am that guy in the breathable hoodie on the hottest sunny days my family and friends says my commitment to the hoodie is phenom.

eyemgh

Thanks so much guys, at the 86" height I do have to be aware how difficult it is to deploy the awning I feel we will use something more that is easy to setup. Looks like the ARB is out. Any other brands I should consider or tarps?

I reviewed some Dragonfly Tarps info and emailed the owner about fitment of a van style tarp on our Provan Tiger CX. I'm back at that $1k price point but at least I like the idea of the a Dragonfly better and it would be easier to move to a new vehicle when we upgrade. The amount of shade you can get with the tarp is also impressive and the fact you can tinker to get shade or drainage where you want it can be very helpful.

I like some serious shade my mom has skin cancer from too much sun so I'm very in tune with keeping the UV away. I am that guy in the breathable hoodie on the hottest sunny days my family and friends says my commitment to the hoodie is phenom.

I ended up a little below $1000 for a custom Dragonfly Haiku and two rails. We can attach it to the side, the back, or erect it independent of the rig. They aren’t cheap, but they are really well made. I didn‘t find a better alternative for our purposes.

Kelty makes a tarp that you could rig up. It’s not as nice, but would be way cheaper.

Wind resilience, and durability while driving were our main goals, with ease of deployment trying to nudge those two out. If I wasn’t as paranoid about the first two, I would have gone with Carefree Colorado.

rawtoxic

I ended up a little below $1000 for a custom Dragonfly Haiku and two rails. We can attach it to the side, the back, or erect it independent of the rig. They aren’t cheap, but they are really well made. I didn‘t find a better alternative for our purposes.

I ended up with Dragonfly Haku 144", took a little bit to pull the trigger at $1k but holy crap this thing is nice, big and better than any regular awning. Anyone figuring out their awning setup should consider it. I am wondering how you set up your Dragonfly up independent of the rig - is that something you had custom tailored?

carleton

We've got a Tiger TX with the Fiamma.
FYI, the mount for the Fiamma is through the body of the Tiger, IE, I can open a cabinet up & see the backer plate for the awning.

Would it be too low if you mounted a shorter length awning below the level of the dinette windows?
I've noticed that many Earth Cruisers and the like don't mount their awnings as high in the air as Tiger, instead having a mid-body mount.
However, the window of the Tiger may be placed right at optimal height.....

rawtoxic

Sorry for slow response - I had not been following the thread.

I think it would be too low below the dinette window. Especially when you consider coming down your stairs to that area plus if you go above the door and dinette window you can have a much longer awning We were able to squeeze the track for our Dragonfly above dinette window and below the overcab windows. Basically just above the seam between the side to top cap allowing for 144" length. We do have to watch our setup to make sure the door does not brush the dragonfly.

We thought about Fiamma but after reviewing the dragonfly features we felt it was the way to go. It is really an ingenious product. We are able to leave it setup in wind and it functions great in the rain as well. I also take the Tiger on some tight trails and was worried about snagging the awning housing. If I had a nicer new one like yours carleton I would probably not be taking it where I've taken mine.

rawtoxic

Sorry for long delay. I had not been following the thread.

Strongly vouch for the dragonfly. We have the 144" sprinter setup they sell. I did hear from another party (after ordering - of course) you can get a customization to make it either freestanding or vehicle mount but I don't know any more about this.

Here is some shots from this summer (can anyone guess the spot? - hint: Colorado) and one from the driveway today so you can see where I have it mounted. It's the brownish oil rubbed bronze strip - I used the supplied screws into the Tiger fiberglass and dab of silicone on each one. To setup I am 5'10" and use our portable step stool - we use to help add a step to get in the Tiger (when we level the passenger side the step can be more than a foot). My lady is a waterbug so we are lakeside a lot:)

We have used it in heavy sun and for rain shelter it works amazing for both. Colorado afternoon thunderstorms with 40mph wind gusts don't even phase Dragonfly. Watch the youtube videos showing the setup options and you will be really impressed. One thing you have to be careful about is to have it tight above the Tiger door or else it will rub on the door which probably not good for tarp over the long haul - if I set the poles right it is a non-issue.

Attachments

• williamsfork dragonfly.jpg
    williamsfork dragonfly.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 15
  • williamsfork dragonfly2.jpg
    williamsfork dragonfly2.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 14
  • tigerdriveway.jpeg
    tigerdriveway.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Forum statistics