ARB Awning on fiberglass camper

Im considering bolting an ARB awning on my build. Its a modified fiberglass "egg" style camper. I know they are meant to mount to a rack. Anyone have pics of one modified and mounted to a smooth surface?

Camelfilter

Explorer
Take a look at how Subterran mounted up his awning to his camper. See post #22 of his build thread. He used aluminum angle cut to size mounted to the camper, onto that he bolted a 2 1/2" door hinge, the other side of the hinge bolts to the awning rail. To top it all off he figured out that a hitch pin is the same size as the hinge knock-out pin.

I found some pins at local tractor supply which are a bit longer, cost about $1.75 or so.

I copied most of his method to mount my CVT awning onto the rear of my Flippac. I believe ARB awnings use a similar track on the awning as does my CVT.

While not on a curved surface, my awning brackets are mounted through fiberglass, albeit thick fiberglass.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Camelfilter

Explorer
Alternatively, you could bolt your awning directly to your camper. The previous owners of my Flippac had a Fiama clamshell awning direct-mounted using 2 bolts. I used those bolts to mount my cut aluminum angle/hinge brackets.

bphang10

Observer
Not sure how the arb mounts but if its a matter of attaching brackets or a ledger to mount brackets to there's no need to drill through. If I recall correctly the arb is fairly light. Fasco 110 epoxy glue should do the trick. Tape off the footprint where you want to glue your mount, sand the surface with 80 grit and epoxy in place. Works with most materials but seems to work extremely well with fiberglass. of you need to mount a ledger or even just a plate to bolt to i'd suggest using frp angle, flat, or box.I've used this a lot in my fiberglass build with very good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how the arb mounts but if its a matter of attaching brackets or a ledger to mount brackets to there's no need to drill through. If I recall correctly the arb is fairly light. Fasco 110 epoxy glue should do the trick. Tape off the footprint where you want to glue your mount, sand the surface with 80 grit and epoxy in place. Works with most materials but seems to work extremely well with fiberglass. of you need to mount a ledger or even just a plate to bolt to i'd suggest using frp angle, flat, or box.I've used this a lot in my fiberglass build with very good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great advice. Ill def take it. Have no desire to create penetrations.

Camelfilter

Explorer
Camelfilter, Did you through bolt that or use nutserts?

The brackets are through bolted on mine. Seems to be holding up just fine, including driving 70+MPH.

I'd likely not deploy my awning in heavy winds though as that ?might? cause too much stress to the fiberglass. Might be fine .

Would likely work allrite with my awning room attached & staked out (?if that makes sense?), as I'd imagine that would spread the wind stress load(s).

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Thanks - I am so nervous about drilling through my Flippac - I think I might try auto trim double side tape and like you said never put the awning out in higher winds.... I just use a Kelty Carport, so it's lightweight and not permanently mounted.

Camelfilter

Explorer
Thanks - I am so nervous about drilling through my Flippac - I think I might try auto trim double side tape and like you said never put the awning out in higher winds.... I just use a Kelty Carport, so it's lightweight and not permanently mounted.

I wouldn't use that, nor the 3m outdoor.

If i was going that route I'd consider a more permanent type of bonding material. Also read around on how to (I don't know-that's for sure), but I think you would want to remove the clear coat from any area you would be bonding to (either tape or adhesive). I think I read somewhere that if you don't, you run the risk of the tape/bond just tearing away the clearcoat & goodbye to whatever was mounted.

I hear ya about being nervous though. The 2 bolts were allready in my Flippac from the previous owners from when they mounted up an awning. I did drill into my fiberglass for my solar panel wiring outlet-and yes I was nervous! Turned out great IMO though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles