ARB 50 QT -- Buyer's Remorse?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Another trick I use is using the Cooler blocks and bags you can buy at Walmart for inside my cooler/fridge. I know my thermoelectric is not near what the ARB is, But along with using the Blocks after packing food, we can keep things nice and cold for a weekend. The blocks come in handy when we stop and I turn off the cooler. I am thinking once I add the dual battery in my rigs, I can leave it running in the daytime and just unplug overnight. Ice packs well keep cold over night.

Maxcustody

Explorer
I have an ARB 50 qt and love it, no remorse..........Right now I have it on the driver side and hardwired in my Jeep. I have a slide but have not mounted it yet. Still debating how, I want to make sure I have thought out all possibilities first.......

Stopbit

I have an ARB 50qt on a frontrunner slide and a frontrunner shelf. Works good except losing view out rear window.

gear.jpg

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
I have an ARB 50qt on a frontrunner slide and a frontrunner shelf. Works good except losing view out rear window.

View attachment 267627

Sorry for the thread hijack... I have a question about your frontrunner shelf. I've noticed from this and other photos, that they have bolts that stick out from the bottom. Do they bother you or get in the way? I really like the idea of the shelf, but I am worried about constantly snagging gear or the back of my hands on them. Thoughts? What purpose do they serve?

Stopbit

Sorry for the thread hijack... I have a question about your frontrunner shelf. I've noticed from this and other photos, that they have bolts that stick out from the bottom. Do they bother you or get in the way? I really like the idea of the shelf, but I am worried about constantly snagging gear or the back of my hands on them. Thoughts? What purpose do they serve?

They hold the shelf together basically. I have not any issues but you do need to be aware of them.

20150122_170143.jpg

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I'm guessing my rig is going to look a lot like that when loaded. Oh well... Backing up is for parking lots... I'm all about the forward!

Realistically... There isn't much visibility to brag about with the tire, wiper, antenna, tint, etc...

RandomAbstract

Adventurer
Bought an ARB 50 last year for my Grand Cherokee. Has quickly become my favorite piece of camping gear. Mine also never leaves the Jeep. Considered the 63, but very happy with the 50.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Ironic

Funny this thread should have gotten bumped back up. I was the OP, and my 50 QT arrived yesterday. I've decided how I will go about building my cargo area and will be likely starting a new thread to show the ideas and work in progress.

rlynch356

Defyota
Not to thread jack, but anyone using a National Luna weekender 50 or equivalent? I've got my eye on the fridge/freezer one possibly...

I had a chance to check one out prior to buying my ARB.. If i could self justify the price difference (2x) i would have gone with the NL fridge in a heartbeat.

maybe if engel or arb reads this it will give them some ideas> for example why put the frig in the configuration of a somewhat tall narrow box. why not make it fleer and more square so it could fit under and elevated storage platform, say 8" high by 24 x 24. then you could built it in and not loose any floor space.. maybe there are reasons maybe one of you guys will that really dumb. maybe not just food for thought.

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
I went with the 37 qt ARB fridge and mounted it on a cargo slide with sliding cutting board I built and added a SWAG mount for a 24 gal Action Packer bin. The daily use bin stores my roadside safety gear and swaps out for another 24 gal Action Packer camping bin. This system serves my girlfriend and I well for our needs.

I would have gone with the 50 qt fridge but the added height made it sit too far rearward as a result of the cargo barrier behind the rear seat.

I installed the fridge on the driver's side as that's where I wired my power panel and CTEK DS250S DC to DC charger. The fridge is powered using an auxiliary battery...also installed in the rear cargo area.

c373c91145a89b49b4102254ead8a696.jpg

2dc1b2a1be1a2b5be50ccf232b48d4fe.jpg

be74345a25c5ef80a65b3b8feec938f7.jpg

3213f154f3735d35d7b5e18b3bc08233.jpg

2769035d489fefdadd2c5b6c254421e3.jpg

914394463fccb1d1355cfcafb892ac6e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

poriggity

Explorer
I have a 50 qt in my dodge and I don't really know how I lived without it for so many years.. Not only is it incredible for camping but it's awesome for little things, like shopping and having a place for your items that need to remain cold.. I can shop in the morning And do other stuff all day and the cold stuff is still cold when I finally get home to put it away.. I have found that with a 4 person family a trip of more than 3 to 4 days can be tight.. We are heading to the grand canyon in May and then over to overland expo after that.. A total of 6 days with a family of 4. The tentative plan is to load the arb up with food and bring along a Coleman extreme for beer water and sodas... But then again I have an 8 foot truck bed for packing all my gear so my space is not at as much of a premium as other people.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

kenaero

Observer
I went with the 37 qt ARB fridge and mounted it on a cargo slide with sliding cutting board I built and added a SWAG mount for a 24 gal Action Packer bin. The daily use bin stores my roadside safety gear and swaps out for another 24 gal Action Packer camping bin. This system serves my girlfriend and I well for our needs.

I would have gone with the 50 qt fridge but the added height made it sit too far rearward as a result of the cargo barrier behind the rear seat.

I installed the fridge on the driver's side as that's where I wired my power panel and CTEK DS250S DC to DC charger. The fridge is powered using an auxiliary battery...also installed in the rear cargo area.

c373c91145a89b49b4102254ead8a696.jpg

2dc1b2a1be1a2b5be50ccf232b48d4fe.jpg

be74345a25c5ef80a65b3b8feec938f7.jpg

3213f154f3735d35d7b5e18b3bc08233.jpg

2769035d489fefdadd2c5b6c254421e3.jpg

914394463fccb1d1355cfcafb892ac6e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Did you build the slide? Great set-up by the way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles