ARB 12-volt fridge modification

Dave in Wisconsin

I just got my ARB 50 qt. fridge. I wanted BOTH freeze AND fridge in one unit but didn’t want to get the big unit with two separate compartments.

I saw that the 39 qt and the 50 qt models were the EXACT same size footprint (length and width). Only difference: the 50 quart is three inches taller. All models come with a basket for the inside. I also bought a basket ($15) from the vendor for the shorter, 39 qt model. It fits perfectly but leaves a 3” space underneath. This is my freezer space. I place ¼” rigid foam in the bottom of the basket for separation—to create the freezer area. (Photos attached)

Other folks have done this with the full-size basket but is was nowhere as convenient. If you use the full-size basket that comes with the 50 qt, BUT you have to remove all the items (one by-one) to get at your frozen stuff at the bottom. However, with my scheme, I just lift out the basket and (in one movement) I have access to my freezer.

Works good when tested in 110 volt house current. I set the thermostat to freeze. Bottom stuff is frozen and items above are cold but not frozen. I think ARB should offer the small basket as a suggested option.

*** Also, per recommendation on this forum, I added same ¼” fanfold, rigid foam board to underside of the small compartment (above the compressor).

Dave in Wisconsin

Attachments

• Bask  20190108_095206.jpg
    Bask 20190108_095206.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 39
  • Bask  2 baskets....jpg
    Bask 2 baskets....jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 35
  • Bask  20190108_095342.jpg
    Bask 20190108_095342.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 36

J!m

I have an Engle and the coils run all around the inside. They made them for ARB (or did anyway)...

Would this trick work for mine too? Do your coils run all around the inside walls?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94