Aptera Solar EV

jkam

nomadic man
Never needs to be charged other than the solar onboard.
Very sleek.

Bobu

45 miles under perfect conditions by purely using solar energy means realistically with a fully-loaded vehicle in rough terrain probably around 20 miles per day. A bit too slow for long-distance travel for my taste. Then I would rather take a bicycle. But the 1000-mile battery version could be great for certain areas with very few chargers (for example Western Africa, Patagonia, or the Silk Road). Sadly it will very likely not be robust enough for this kind of overlanding trips.

jkam

nomadic man
Reminds me of the solar racer's that have been out for awhile.
At least they are now trying to take the tech further than that.
article-2011october-solar-racers-innovations-hint-at-the-fig3.jpg

Bobu

Yes, similar concepts. But at least they have now two seats and a small trunk for some luggage, probably comparable to what you could carry on a motorcycle.

Lovetheworld

This is a hyperefficient car, this is not an overland vehicle. You're an idiot if you want to take this offroad.
I doubt how much it will generate in the winter, but then it will still be efficient. For the other half of the year, or if you live in a sunny place, you have most of your daily miles covered. To work and back, that kind of thing.

What is interesting about these kind of vehicles, especially if you live a bit more southern, is that you buy transportation off. Almost no further cost for years, just one initial investment.
I am trying to achieve this with an EV and a bunch of solar panels and some batteries

plh

Explorer
I am trying to achieve this with an EV and a bunch of solar panels and some batteries

Interesting. I calculated the solar panels and on site battery storage capacity required to daily recharge my Outlander PHEV (around 30 miles +/- pure EV range) and it would be a huge investment without payback possibility for many decades compared to the relatively cheap power that I can just plug into from the local utility. Figure 10 kwh of panels $16K +\- and at least that for batteries. I pay the utility about $1 for a full charge. So if you scrounge and buy used and DIY ETC if you are lucky you could maybe build the solar/battery system for $10k. I drive about 200 days a year. Hello 50 years payback.

I don't believe the Aptera claims for self sufficient charging unless their range is out the driveway and around the block once. Just not enough square footage of solar on it. 3 square meters of solar is 450 watts with todays technology. Maybe its only meant to be driven once every 10 days.

Last edited:

Bobu

This is a hyperefficient car, this is not an overland vehicle. You're an idiot if you want to take this offroad.

Of course, you can't take such a car on a serious offroad track. But I think you underestimate the potential for overlanding. Take a look for example at the participants of the Rive Maroc Rallye from Tanger via Rabat and Marrakech to Ouarzazate.
Not really offroad but very typical rough overlanding roads.
There were and are many vehicles participating with similar concepts as the Aptera (small, ultralight, great aerodynamics, highly efficient). And in the past, nearly all of them successfully reached the finish. With the currently available charging infrastructure, I would for example rather choose an Aptera than a Rivian for a Trans-Africa EV trip.

Lovetheworld

You guys know of the Lightyear? It is similar in concept that you buy daily range, and in a very sunny place going slow you can probably drive on end.
However, it is much more expensive. It will be more than 100,000 Euro, at least the first versions and then getting cheaper.

5f58f409db9a88529bf05059_LY01_top_view_transparent_background.png

Of course, you can't take such a car on a serious offroad track. But I think you underestimate the potential for overlanding. Take a look for example at the participants of the Rive Maroc Rallye from Tanger via Rabat and Marrakech to Ouarzazate.
Not really offroad but very typical rough overlanding roads.
There were and are many vehicles participating with similar concepts as the Aptera (small, ultralight, great aerodynamics, highly efficient). And in the past, nearly all of them successfully reached the finish. With the currently available charging infrastructure, I would for example rather choose an Aptera than a Rivian for a Trans-Africa EV trip.

Yes I partly agree. In fact I was also researching an EV roadtrip to Morocco and further in our EV (which is just a regular car, my 4x4 is a diesel van)
What is clear about taking a big car like Rivian, or a bit less, Audi Etron Tesla Model X, they need much more power that it becomes problematic to charge over a regular socket.
So the next morning it is not full at all. Where a regular car is already much better at a standard socket, and these smaller (like Aptera) vehicles being so efficient are full every morning, just plugged into somebodies house.

I will read more into the Rive Maroc, and I already love the weird vehicles. But the route is not that special. It is mostly sealed roads.
In fact, with our EV (it has a range of 400km), I can just get in now, drive to the boat (2500km) to Morocco, and drive, probably in one day to Marrakech with fast chargers.
Then, sleep in a hotel, drive next day to Ouarzazate. Sure, it will take a bit more time than the time we took our Toyota Celica to Morocco :) but it is very much doable.
Anything further is the real challenge, because you will depend on sockets in somebodies house or company. And you have to know what plugs they use and how many amps.
And carefully measure distances and adjust speed to it. If only go 50kmh / 30mph all the time I can probably do 600km.

So yes, in a way, with electric vehicles it is much more suitable to go overlanding in a regular car than a 4x4.
Next to that, you can usually get everywhere with a normal car. Although 4x4 is sometimes useful, a lot of times it is about allowing you to take a fun route.

Interesting. I calculated the solar panels and on site battery storage capacity required to daily recharge my Outlander PHEV (around 30 miles +/- pure EV range) and it would be a huge investment without payback possibility for many decades compared to the relatively cheap power that I can just plug into from the local utility. Figure 10 kwh of panels $16K +\- and at least that for batteries. I pay the utility about $1 for a full charge. So if you scrounge and buy used and DIY ETC if you are lucky you could maybe build the solar/battery system for $10k. I drive about 200 days a year. Hello 50 years payback.

So you live in a place where 1 kwh costs roughly 10 cents and solar panels are much more expensive?
Here it is 20 eurocents for a kwh, and I think I will have the solar part for 5000 W (probably getting my close to 4500-5000 kWh annually) will cost me 2500 euro, maybe 3000 euro. Because I do it myself.
The cheapest solar panels out there are less than 100 euro per 300 Watts (giving you at least 250kWh annually, depending where you live). Of course you need mounting and an inverter.
And I already have my battery system ready. Which is not cost effective at all, I'm just learning how to build battery systems with used EV cells.

Also, 10,000 kWh annually lets you drive an Outlander (which is not as efficient as a Leaf or Tesla, because it is a bigger SUV) up to 33.333km or lets say 20.000 miles for electrically.
However, dividing that by 200 days exceeds the electrical range of the Outlander PHEV big time. So are you including house power usage? which isn't really fair for the calculation.
Or are you making a big installation that you also get anough power in winter?
And can you deliver back to the grid?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior