APRS??

WanderingBison

Good information guys. So my other question, does the phone need to be active. The way I read it, the phone is for display. If I predownload maps?

I can only speak to APRS.Fi, the app on iOS, but the phone does not need a SIM card or plan. If you have data over wifi, the maps will load from there.

I’m not sure about downloading maps for offline use inside Apple Maps to allow use inside the APRS.fi iOS app.

I’ll have to try and see if this is possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Good information guys. So my other question, does the phone need to be active. The way I read it, the phone is for display. If I predownload maps?
My APRSdroid phone has no SIM card. I use prebuilt OSM maps in Mapsforge format so it doesn't talk to Google at all. I don't even allow it on my home WLAN network. I directly load apps via APK files and map data over USB. I try to get it about as close to a dumb terminal as a phone can be.

With iOS and the aprs.fi app there's no way to get around letting it get Apple Map tiles. The phone does not need an active SIM card as long as it can get to the Internet. So you could share your data via hot spot or use a WiFi connection. You would have to cache tiles if you don't have that afield I suppose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior