April 1 and 2, 2006: Ranches of Sonoita, Arizona Loop

articulate

Expedition Leader
Attention cowboys and cowgirls: Here's a trail through Las Cienegas National Conservation Area, just north of Sonoita, Arizona.

We get to see some old ranches, both working and abandoned. Empire ranch is somewhat a museum that we can wander though. The trail is quite mild, mostly graded dirt and smooth two-track. However, one stretch from the conservation area eastward into the Coronado National forest is labeled a "4wd Trail." I haven't explored that far back, but I'm going to this time - to be totally honest, I don't know what to expect on that portion of the road. I anticipate setting up camp in the Coronado and driving home on Sunday morning.

Just a quickie one night stand, so to speak. I'll be leaving (with a couple other vehicles) Saturday morning around 6:00.

If my roof tent gets here this week, my wife and I will be camping in that sucker! Yippeee.

Any interest? I don't bite and I play well with others.

Mark

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
That's a pretty area. You'll enjoy your trip. Make sure you have some fun driving the Pipeline Road (N to S) that you'll see toward the West end of that BLM trail.
The Italian restaurant in Sonoita is excellent!

articulate

Expedition Leader
Move please???

Hey mods --- can you move this to the completed section?

!Gracias!

Ok, not that anyone "here" went, but I'd like to share some photos. The area near Sonoita and Patagonia is heavy with ranches; and it takes a peculiar and determined soul to live the ranch life, I think. We passed ranches with some "genuine" looking cowboys who were kind enough to give me some details of where to go. One ranch raises llamas or alpacas - I can't tell the difference. I have delusions of becoming a cowboy...

nissan_frontier_1.jpg

Empire Ranch:
empire_ranch_7.jpg

Uber-cool expedition-style shot:
rover_1.jpg

A Cowgirl eats breakfast:
breakfast.jpg

Though I would have enjoyed the Black Mountain trek that took place this same weekend, this trip was fantastic.

Cheers!

Mark

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Mark, your pics are the best! Can you share any more? That LR shot is kick butt! Is that who I think it might be?

You are correcto about the cowboys in the Sonoita area. I know a couple of them and have partied with a few of them... they are definitely genuine souls who keep the ways of the past alive in the present.

:campfire:

articulate

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys!
That's extraordinarily kind of you. The light was absolutely perfect for photos, but the others were getting concerned about having to set camp in the dark.

With this tall, dry grass, wouldn't you think it was Africa? Plus a Land Rover makes a cool subject.
fields_of_gold.jpg

At a place called Ramsey Well, there is an old Chrysler Fluid Drive; shot and stripped.
ramsey_fluid_drive2.jpg

Schotts: The road we cruised :))) followed a powerline for most of the way, and I didn't see a pipeline trail. Does the road you are talking about end somewhere or does it reconnect with a highway?

Again, thanks for the comments.

Mark

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
articulate said:
Thanks guys!
That's extraordinarily kind of you. The light was absolutely perfect for photos, but the others were getting concerned about having to set camp in the dark.

With this tall, dry grass, wouldn't you think it was Africa? Plus a Land Rover makes a cool subject.
fields_of_gold.jpg

At a place called Ramsey Well, there is an old Chrysler Fluid Drive; shot and stripped.
ramsey_fluid_drive2.jpg

Schotts: The road we cruised :))) followed a powerline for most of the way, and I didn't see a pipeline trail. Does the road you are talking about end somewhere or does it reconnect with a highway?

Again, thanks for the comments.

Mark

Powerline. Yes....sorry. Told you where correctly but had the wrong utility. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94