Apple Carplay - Topo Map Support?

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Hello,

For years I have been using various iOS topo maps apps with my iphone/ipad with great success, but you need to mount the iphone/ipad to view them. Now that Apple CarPlay is out with aftermarket head units (from Alpine, Kenwood and Pioneer) - is it possible to screenshare/mirror your iphone/ipad with a carplay head unit?

I see various lists of supported apps that don't mention Gaia, Topomaps, motionx, but maybe they work? Has anyone here had any experience with carplay?

Thanks!

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Stumptown.

It seems as though apple has not opened carplay to other mapping apps. Bummer, maybe android auto has this?

Anybody have experience with this?

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Apparently not, assuming no custom apps are allowed:

Neither system gives the driver a choice to use a third-party navigation software like Waze, TomTom or Scout. This is a pity as there are some really good free and paid navigation options and some excellent offline navigation options. (Currently, neither Google or Apple's Maps have very compelling offline routing or mapping capabilities, crippling them in situations where you find yourself off the grid.)

From: http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/android-auto-vs-apple-carplay-head-to-head/

I'm still a fan of the cheap Android head units on ebay till this changes. More work to put your maps in multiple places but at least there is less nannies interfering with your setup.

Rando

Explorer
Apparently not, assuming no custom apps are allowed:

From: http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/android-auto-vs-apple-carplay-head-to-head/

I'm still a fan of the cheap Android head units on ebay till this changes. More work to put your maps in multiple places but at least there is less nannies interfering with your setup.

Which Android head unit have you used? I am thinking about trying one of these, but there seems to be a multitude of straight from China options, and I am bot sure whuch are actually worthwhile. Are there any 'brand name' android head units out there?

DieselRanger

I've used aftermarket (Pioneer) and OEM Android Auto head units. None support apps specifically designed for off-road travel and topos.

I have, however, used the Backcountry Navigator Pro app, which offers downloadable topos from a variety of sources and datums, including satellite imagery overlays, .kml, .kmz, and .gpx support, tracking and pre-planned route support, and it works in offline mode. I have it on my smartphone and tablet. I'd just carry a tablet or rig an aftermarket dashboard tablet mount and use that. They have also developed a web app in beta for pre-planning and for connected use.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Yeah, there are many apps that work good on a tablet offline. What the link above is talking about, is bringing those to the face of the headunit via apply carplay, with advances in hand free.

DieselRanger

Yeah, there are many apps that work good on a tablet offline. What the link above is talking about, is bringing those to the face of the headunit via apply carplay, with advances in hand free.
The way I understand ACP and AA is that the app maker still has to design the app to work with ACP or AA. Android Auto's API is open-source, but Apple's requires app designers to pay for and become certified by Apple in order to earn the MFi seal of approval.

Wendell-R

iOS 12 now allows 3rd party mapping apps on CarPlay - Waze and Google maps are the only ones that I'm aware of that support it, but it would allow someone like Gaia to display on the in-dash display if they want to go through the effort of integrating.

I expect that the integration ability has pretty strict Apple imposed limits and probably onerous integration work and probably some sort of validation before an app gets approved for this support. Not sure how many app developers can afford the effort besides Google.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/06/04/apple-wwdc-app-updates/

ventura911

Adventurer
From https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360025062534-Apple-CarPlay

IMG_0684.jpg

Robyn
  • 14 days ago
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for posting.

Adding CarPlay integration is on the roadmap for early this year. Check out the main feature request page for adding CarPlay for updates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior