Apologies in advance (horse beater here)

duchamp

Seems like ATW , AAV, and Fuso off-road, etc have the fuso super single market cornered.

I've Seen a handful of folks running H1’s, MRAP’s, and Stockton steelies.

Has anyone come across an alternative option for getting 37’s on an FG without sacrificing quality? The AU alloys are fine, but honestly a little underwhelming for the 2500/ 3K buy in before tires. (US resident)

thanks,

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Those Al wheels from most of those guys are actually made in China, and for the life of me I can't remember what the heck the manufacturer name is. When I got mine from EC for my old rig, they shipped them in the original boxes. I remember looking them up and they supplied quite a few big names. Probably can get them a bit cheaper going direct to the manufacturer, and they had quite a few different options as far as rim width, diameter, contour, bolt patterns, etc. If I can find the old pics I took years back of the boxes I'll post up info on the manufacturer.

javajoe79

Fabricator
I’ve been considering making my next set if I can find a source for good rim blanks. I might just buy the 17” DD beadlocks from TWF and cut and weld my own centers.

duchamp

Those Al wheels from most of those guys are actually made in China, and for the life of me I can't remember what the heck the manufacturer name is. When I got mine from EC for my old rig, they shipped them in the original boxes. I remember looking them up and they supplied quite a few big names. Probably can get them a bit cheaper going direct to the manufacturer, and they had quite a few different options as far as rim width, diameter, contour, bolt patterns, etc. If I can find the old pics I took years back of the boxes I'll post up info on the manufacturer.

Yeah that would be cool. I’m sure I’m not the only one who would be interested. Thanks

I’ve been considering making my next set if I can find a source for good rim blanks. I might just buy the 17” DD beadlocks from TWF and cut and weld my own centers.

I know one custom steel wheel maker just uses 3/8” plate for the wheel center on these trucks. Shouldn’t be too difficult to make a dxf w our bolt pattern/ hub bore and get the instars laser cut/ fab them into some barrels.

duchamp

I’ve also been seeing 35’s and 37’s mounted up to the stock wheels (or so they appear.) I assume these are 10.5” wide tires. Can anyone advise on what the best configuration of using a single stock rear wheel is?

javajoe79

Fabricator
Yeah that would be cool. I’m sure I’m not the only one who would be interested. Thanks

I know one custom steel wheel maker just uses 3/8” plate for the wheel center on these trucks. Shouldn’t be too difficult to make a dxf w our bolt pattern/ hub bore and get the instars laser cut/ fab them into some barrels.
I currently have H1 hummer wheels that I recentered with 3/8” plate. Very minimal tire choices though. If I can find a good source for 17” blanks I’ll draw my own centers and beadlock components to have laser cut locally. I’d be happy to build other sets too but so far I’m not finding any blanks that will work.

sixbennetts

Adventurer
I’ve also been seeing 35’s and 37’s mounted up to the stock wheels (or so they appear.) I assume these are 10.5” wide tires. Can anyone advise on what the best configuration of using a single stock rear wheel is?

Considering going this route myself. Stock rims, remove the two inside rims, and run surplus military Michelins. Would I have to have a spacer, or is the lug threaded deep enough that I could get them torqued?

I know the front and rear tires won't line up perfectly, but how much wider will the rear be than the front?

*edit: I don't even have a truck. Yet.

duchamp

I currently have H1 hummer wheels that I recentered with 3/8” plate. Very minimal tire choices though. If I can find a good source for 17” blanks I’ll draw my own centers and beadlock components to have laser cut locally. I’d be happy to build other sets too but so far I’m not finding any blanks that will work.

I hear you. Maximizing tire options is definitely key.

Considering going this route myself. Stock rims, remove the two inside rims, and run surplus military Michelins. Would I have to have a spacer, or is the lug threaded deep enough that I could get them torqued?

I know the front and rear tires won't line up perfectly, but how much wider will the rear be than the front?

*edit: I don't even have a truck. Yet.

this is honestly the way I’m starting to lean. I’ve seen a few FG’s on IG running stock wheels, and big geolanders. Trying to dig up some more info on this direction as far as available tire sizes. The obstacle being a 6.5” wide wheel.

Attachments

• D27AB5B4-6545-4110-AA2B-80E12B99A57D.jpeg
    D27AB5B4-6545-4110-AA2B-80E12B99A57D.jpeg
    270.2 KB · Views: 39

yabanja

Explorer
I recommend against getting custom barrels welded together. I bought mine from a company which is no longer around. We had a failure when the weld around the two halves of the barrels failed. I believe the stresses are unusual due to the extreme offset of these wheels. Other people on the forums have had stockton wheels fail in a similar manner. Scared the crap out of us. We had just crossed a 800 foot high bridge over the colorado river. Could have ended bad for us. We bought our second set from http://www.trucksupersingles.com.au and couldn't be happier with them. I am about the cheapest guy you will find but I feel there are some things you shouldn't skimp on. For me it was the wheels and the refrigerator (engel).

Take care!
Allan

duchamp

I recommend against getting custom barrels welded together. I bought mine from a company which is no longer around. We had a failure when the weld around the two halves of the barrels failed. I believe the stresses are unusual due to the extreme offset of these wheels. Other people on the forums have had stockton wheels fail in a similar manner. Scared the crap out of us. We had just crossed a 800 foot high bridge over the colorado river. Could have ended bad for us. We bought our second set from http://www.trucksupersingles.com.au and couldn't be happier with them. I am about the cheapest guy you will find but I feel there are some things you shouldn't skimp on. For me it was the wheels and the refrigerator (engel).

Take care!
Allan

Hey Allan,

That sounds super sketchy. Stockton alleges they’ve solved this problem by using a heavier gauge barrel.

Just playing devils advocate here. What’s the difference between a robot welded steel wheel made in California, and robot welded steel wheel in the link above?

I was really hoping people could chime in with their less traditional wheel and tire sets ups. Maybe we could start a wheel and tire specs” thread to end all wheel spec threads?

yabanja

Explorer
Hey Allan,

That sounds super sketchy. Stockton alleges they’ve solved this problem by using a heavier gauge barrel.

Just playing devils advocate here. What’s the difference between a robot welded steel wheel made in California, and robot welded steel wheel in the link above?

I was really hoping people could chime in with their less traditional wheel and tire sets ups. Maybe we could start a wheel and tire specs” thread to end all wheel spec threads?

Custom one off wheel manufacturers in the US Don't go through a testing procedure to certify for road worthiness. Anything out of Australia has gone through a very rigorous basically Demolition test in order to meet road worthy certification requirements.

The problem I had was that the barrel itself was multi pieced. They had welded a strip in the middle to change the width and offset of the barrel. The Material was plenty thick at 3/8" center and 1/4" barrel. The Beautiful Machine Weld failed. The new wheels are a single piece rolled steel barrel with no points of failure. Also the old wheel centers were a flat piece of steel welded to the barrel while the new ones have a large flange around the perimeter which greatly increases the load surface. In short the old wheels were cool custom one offs and the new ones look like factory steel wheels on steroids.

Allan

C p weinberger

I don’t believe I’ve head anything bad about the truck super single wheels. I
did see the tires they originally supplied with the high weight rating were recalled.

duchamp

Custom one off wheel manufacturers in the US Don't go through a testing procedure to certify for road worthiness. Anything out of Australia has gone through a very rigorous basically Demolition test in order to meet road worthy certification requirements.

The problem I had was that the barrel itself was multi pieced. They had welded a strip in the middle to change the width and offset of the barrel. The Material was plenty thick at 3/8" center and 1/4" barrel. The Beautiful Machine Weld failed. The new wheels are a single piece rolled steel barrel with no points of failure. Also the old wheel centers were a flat piece of steel welded to the barrel while the new ones have a large flange around the perimeter which greatly increases the load surface. In short the old wheels were cool custom one offs and the new ones look like factory steel wheels on steroids.

Allan

Good point. I’ve seen wheels with a slip rolled pack out because the barrel, and center, are not the right diameter. Very strange solution/ weakest link argument.

my only complaint (and I feel like I’m living up to my horse kicker title) is the super single buy in is $5000.00

I grew up building 2, and 3 piece wheels for E10 bms/ MKI rabbits. Those wheels cost the same, but you had a piece of jewelry. These are just machine welded Steelies.

I’m still hoping to see some pics of less traditional wheel and tire setups from users here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior