Apache Maid L.O. 11/4 - 11/6/05

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I already sorta posted a report for this trip in the "What did you do this weekend" thread. I will try to elaborate a bit on this post, but there is not a whole lot to add.

We left Phoenix on friday at about 2:00pm and headed north on I 17 to the Stoneman Lake Rd. exit, about an hour and a half from my house in north west Phoenix. When we reached the fork in the road we made a right hand turn and followed the road for about 7.5 miles to our camp. I will have to retrieve the coordinates of our camp from my GPS later and post it up. It is a great spot with views to the west and Apache Maid Mountain to the north, with a wonderful wooded section to our east. The temps were great during the day and a bit chilly at night, but it was bearable. We did not have an opportunity to do any exploring over the weekend, but it did not bother much as I have been in the area several times before. I did take a run up to Stoneman lake on Saturday morning to scout the possibilities of some decent fishing, but the lake is still very low and looks more like a pond so I decided that the fishing would not be too great. Huing out in camp for the most part on Saturday and stayed up late in front of the camp fire. We woke a little late on Sunday and had a bit of trouble getting started in the morning, but once we got rolling it was an outstanding day. We packed up camp at around noon and headed back into town by 1:30. It was a great weekend and gave a good chance to relax and unwind. There a rea few pics posted below also.

Attachments

• Apachemoon2.jpg
    Apachemoon2.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Apachesunset.jpg
    Apachesunset.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 50
  • DiscoIIatApache.jpg
    DiscoIIatApache.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 55
  • TrooperatApache.jpg
    TrooperatApache.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Stoneman Pond.jpg
    Stoneman Pond.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Stoneman Pond 3.jpg
    Stoneman Pond 3.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Stonemanpond2.jpg
    Stonemanpond2.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 34
  • apachemoon1.jpg
    apachemoon1.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Stoneman View.jpg
    Stoneman View.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 43

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Nice - sounds like a very relaxing weekend! Thanks for getting some pics of the lake. It looks like it has a come up a little bit, but yea - it is still looking pond-ish. (sigh)...

Here is a pic that I took of it in March 2002.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Chris, it does seem to be getting better every year, and I remember it like that in 02. When I was in high school back in 88 I remember my first trip to Stoneman Lake and it was very lake like back then. It still looks like it is about 30 -40 feet low. Hopefully a good wet winter this year will help its level go up. I almost went up to mormon lake on Saturday as well to check its level, but I wanted to get back to camp for breakfast. I know the last few years has left Mormon lake very low as well. I think in the summer of 03 it was actually dry. Man, we need some moisture.

Hope I didn't just jinx this weekend. :D

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Very relaxing. Kinda what I need right now. Beautiful scenery.

Chilly weather? Good for snuggling!

datrupr

Expedition Leader
BN, very good weather for snuggling, but unfortunately this was a guys weekend and there was no snuggling going on that I at least know of. :rolleyes:

It did make me miss the missus a bit more than normal though :eek:

articulate

Expedition Leader
datrupr said:
BN, very good weather for snuggling, but unfortunately this was a guys weekend and there was no snuggling going on that I at least know of. :rolleyes:

It did make me miss the missus a bit more than normal though :eek:
Duuuuude...J/K :ylsmoke:

Excellent trip, amigo. Since I've never been there, I'll have to go check it out sometime....

Cheers,
Mark

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Mark, it is a beautiful area. When you get there go to the top of Apache Maid and if you can climb up on the look out, it is usually open until you get to the very top, the views are spectacular. If you need a buddy for a day trip let me know, I'll go with you. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles