Apache cases from Harbor freight...... my use.....any thoughts?

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'll post a pic in sunlight, tomorrow. I left it clamped shut, one clamp at a time as I painted from several angles. I didn't clean it up well enough, I got a little dimpling in a couple spots where I suppose some gun oil or something was still on it. It's definitely 'Red'. Almost 'Coca Cola Red'.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Here it is. I'l follow up after it's fully cured and beat up a bit. But for now it seems to be adhering just fine.

redbox1.jpg
redbox2.jpg

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Another nice a spec on these boxes is the light weight compared to the heavy and expensive pelican cases.

rayra

Expedition Leader
they're lighter, but it's a relative thing. They're still thick / heavy / sturdy. I was just looking at them today in the store and the now have a '5800' too that is outfitted with retractable handle and wheels as carry-on luggage. And that thing was heavy empty. Just looked, it's shipping weight is 15.6-lbs

apache5800-1.jpg

apache5800-2.jpg

robert

Expedition Leader
They look weatherproof enough but I question the UV resistance of the plastic. I don't care about fading but I wouldn't want it to get brittle and crack.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I recall looking up their ratings in the past, there is two parts to the weatherproof rating system and Apache was same as Pelican on one side and one step below on the other. And CA's wettest winter in a decade notwithstanding, I wasn't concerned about the rating difference, both were good. You'd have to really submerge the Apache cases to have any trouble. Or drive highway speeds into the face of an approaching monsoon.
It was reading those comparative ratings that made me decide the Apache cases were a great value. I never could stomach Pelican's pricing. I've never ascribed to the 'buy once, cry once' mantra. I've got far too many hobbies and demands on my wallet, for that sort of nonsense.

Reactions: plh

rayra

Expedition Leader
http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart/

Sample IP Rating
IP
“Ingress Protection”
First Digit: Solids Protection
Second Digit: Liquids Protection

off a random Pelican case description -
  • IP-67 Rating for temporary submersion (1 meter for 30 minutes)

Apache cases
https://www.harborfreight.com/3800-weatherproof-protective-case-16-516-in-63927.html
has a listed rating of IP-65

It would seem the Pelicans have a better and better protected gasketing design. But look at the chart below and decide for yourselves if it matters in your application. And worth paying 4-10x as much for the Pelican brand.

https://www.nemaenclosures.com/blog/ingress-protection-ratings/

NE-IP-Ratings-Guide.jpg

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
And if you are worried about UV damage, paint them. Heck, paint them the same color as the plastic, so paint chips don't stand out.

Do a google search for 'apache cases' and look for people actually using them outdoors.

dstock

Explorer
I just picked up the medium size one for my radios/portable electronics. It's mostly going to spend time in an enclosed environment so I didn't feel I needed the "best" considering it's use. I'm pretty impressed with it and will probably get another one.
i-LkKmpJF-M.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94