Apache cases from Harbor freight...... my use.....any thoughts?

old .45

Observer
Sooo..... after looking at all of them I decided for the price and my usage they will work fine. the will be carried inside my truck bed covered by a canopy where I sleep. My dry food, kitchen stove and hygiene needs fit in the various sizes, I have one of each and will be adding the case for my little 308 Scout rifle. my clothes will still go in a soft bag and the bed is always made up. other perishable food will be in the fridge in the 1/2 cab of my truck as well as all my recovery equipment netted down for security in case of an accident. Water is in the passenger side footwell and also secured. I think they Will work fine as I have no plans that might merit the cost of the Pelican cases. My trips are short usually a week at the most once in awhile. Does anyone else use these cases? If so for what.

4xdog

Explorer
I have a spare Canon 5Dmkii DSLR body in one of the small ones. They're perfect for things like that.

MattL

Adventurer
I have 2 cases both the Apache 3800. One is my first aid box that's kept in the LC and another carries all my camera gear (minus tripods). I have also purchased one and fitted a bottle of whiskey a few tumblers and shot glasses as a gift for a friend. Worked out great.

billiebob

I'm no Harbor Frieght fan but for cheap storage boxes, whatever fits yer $hit & $$$ That's all that counts

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’ve had good success with them for my camera and lenses (limited stuff) and storing a bunch of my kids fragile cheerleading stuff that we don’t want crushed in transit.

I like the First Aid kit idea, I might consider that too.

One top tip... sometimes the seals are rolled and pinched in the store. Open the box and check the seal before buying.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I find the H/F cases to be quite handy;
511211 smaller case, lives on the floor behind the driver's seat; Snatch strap, shackles and jumper cable storage.

511212 larger case (not sure of the number , 4800?) Cooking and eating tools.

i also carry two 3800 cases; one with miscellaneous stuff including Bluetooth speaker, and the other with washbasin, etc. (cleanup items)... sorry no pics... these cases store under the cot when in camp.
Clothes are in a smallish canvas bag.

Enjoy!

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
following, I am a pelican guy. That being said, cant beat the apache price. And unless you are diving with them, or they are the sole layer of protection i think they will be great. Leaving a lot of extra $$ for fuel.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I think they're a good deal. Can't fit a standard padlock hasp thru the holes on the two smaller sizes, their holes aren't 1/4". And there isn't enough material in the tabs to make the holes larger. Have to use smaller weaker locks.

I use them for a few things. And yes with the frequent coupons they're a really good value, IMAO. ~90% of Pelican for 25% the price.

4800 size:
pistolcase02.jpg

eta @MattL nice first aid case. I wonder if that Krylon plastic-bonding product line (eta 'Fusion' is the name of the product line) will work with this case plastic. Paint that sucker Red! I've got a couple of the smallest size Apachees laying around, I'll have to give that a test-paint and see what happens

eta another note on using the 4800 size as a handgun case, some careful filleting of the thick pick-and-pull foam layer will let you fit 4 larger framed pistols or revolvers in a double-layer nested pair of 'dueling pistols' arrangement.

I use the locked cases for transport to/from the range, CA requires handguns to be locked up in a 'container'. Can't be glove box or center console, can be a separated trunk or even an old seabag with a padlock. Law doesn't specify what a proper container actually needs to be.

Last edited:

dreadlocks

You'll feel alot better about chucking a $40 Apache out of the back of your truck than a $140 Pelican..

Ive got a few of em, they are great for cost.. do double check em in store for bad foam and seals.. I want to get another to bolt to the frontrunner and seal with RTV, need a place to keep diesel fuel additives and other smelly things

rayra

Expedition Leader
I had a partial can of Fusion Gloss Red and an 1800 Apache case laying around so I've been intermittently painting this afternoon. Gusty wind isn't helping. But I'm mostly concerned with how the paint will adhere, more than it being 'pretty'.

MattL

Adventurer
Keeps us up to date rayra! Good idea with the red fusion paint, just used some of that stuff (in black) this past weekend on my center caps on the 80.

I picked up one of the rifel cases on a whim during the 20% off sale this past weekend also. Fit my 2 solar panels in it with all the extras. This will allow me to store them on the roof out of the way for when I need them (while traveling only, otherwise in the garage). I'll get picture tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94