Anza Borrego Desert for the Day- 2/2/2013 (Lots of Pictures)

Allof75

Pathfinder
This past weekend, the SCORE group ventured to Anza Borrego State Park, in California, for the day. I, and I think everyone else there (there were 16 others) had a wonderful time. We explored the southern end of the park, specifically Arroyo Seco del Diablo, Diablo Dropoff, and then out via Fish Creek. The terrain varied throughout the day, with a good amount of wash running (airing down made a huge difference) and some surprising boulder hopping after having gone down the Diablo Dropoff. Anyway, it was an excellent day, and here are the pictures.

We met up in Julian, CA
attachment.php

And down to the S2
attachment.php

On the S2 between the surrounding mountains
attachment.php

attachment.php

A beautiful day in the desert. And about 80 degrees!
attachment.php

attachment.php

My rig
attachment.php

attachment.php

There were some (about 16) very nicely equipped 4x4s along for the ride too
attachment.php

attachment.php

I followed an Off Road/Pro-4x Xterra most of the way, us Nissan guys like to stick together. :sombrero:
attachment.php

Allof75

Pathfinder
Continued

Some of the rigs from the back
attachment.php

attachment.php

Mud Caves
attachment.php

attachment.php

The trip leader (theexbrit) drove the other R50 Pathfinder.
attachment.php

We stopped in the shade for lunch, and to get our coordinates
attachment.php

Team Nissan Desert Runners
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The FJ was the first down the Dropoff
attachment.php

The R50s had to stick together
attachment.php

Just finished the Dropoff, with more flex-tests to come.
attachment.php

Very clean TJ along for the day
attachment.php

attachment.php

The smallest rocks of that section
attachment.php

Stock height- took a lickin' and kept on tickin'
attachment.php

The Montero blew a water pump a few miles from the road, and theexbrit had to pull it.
attachment.php

Videos are coming shortly

Enjoy!

Last edited:

theexbrit

Theexbrit KJ6VZX
Great photos Erik!

I really had a great day, despite the fact that only did about a third of what we had planned. The "rock garden" really slowed us down, but everyone did great & the stock vehicles performed wonderfully over some pretty rocky terrain.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Great photos Erik!

I really had a great day, despite the fact that only did about a third of what we had planned. The "rock garden" really slowed us down, but everyone did great & the stock vehicles performed wonderfully over some pretty rocky terrain.

Thank you! And I think that delays and everything are part of the adventure! My buddy's bronco was stuck in a mudpit in nearby Blair Valley, on a trip we had there a couple years ago, for a three hour digging marathon. And we still had a wonderful time, and made it back in time for dinner! Awesome trip Andy, and thank you again for organizing it.

PS: Let me be the first to say, welcome to ExPo!

stioc

Expedition Leader
Nice pics, thanks for posting! But 16 rigs?! wow - of various capabilities and skills too I'm sure. Still, sounds like you guys had a good time.

Don't tell me you did the diablo drop offs? I know of a few stock SUVs (even a larger Range Rover) that have done it and lived to tell about it but depending on the terrain conditions even the built trucks go home with some new body work. Got any of those pics and of Rock Garden?

freshspecbluegt

Adventurer
Russell,

The diablo drop off is pretty tame a little off camber and sandy which adds some pucker factor but not much to hit. I think you're thinking of "the squeeze", you can definitely get some body damage there.

img_4242.jpg

Not my picture

Looks like it was a fun run I need to get back out there

Allof75

Pathfinder
Russell,

The diablo drop off is pretty tame a little off camber and sandy which adds some pucker factor but not much to hit. I think you're thinking of "the squeeze", you can definitely get some body damage there.

View attachment 143126

Not my picture

^Agreed. Diablo Dropoff was just a steep sandy hill. There is a small danger factor, but as long as you're in Low and 1st and are smooth with the brakes, you'll be alright. My Pathfinder did it with no damage. And I don't have many pictures from the rock garden, but I have a little on the video soon to come.

Here's a couple. The rocks were much harder than the Dropoff, but everyone made it through relatively unscathed.
attachment.php

attachment.php

And the other of the Dropoff itself.
attachment.php

stioc

Expedition Leader
Russell,

View attachment 143126

Not my picture

Ah, that's what I was picturing in my head, thanks! But since the Charles Wells book is sitting next to me I just looked up Diablo Drop off and it's rated as "difficult" - maybe the terrain has changed over the years since the book rated it.

stioc

Expedition Leader
^Agreed. Diablo Dropoff was just a steep sandy hill. There is a small danger factor, but as long as you're in Low and 1st and are smooth with the brakes, you'll be alright. My Pathfinder did it with no damage. And I don't have many pictures from the rock garden, but I have a little on the video soon to come.

Here's a couple. The rocks were much harder than the Dropoff, but everyone made it through relatively unscathed.
attachment.php

Got it! Looking good!

BorregoWrangler

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Great photos! I'm sure you guys had a blast. That section just after Diablo Dropoff can get real rough after it rains. Thanks for sharing your adventure!

Allof75

Pathfinder
Great photos! I love that TJ with the rack from an escape, very creatively done

Thank you, and that's what I was thinking! It's an extremely clean TJ, I wonder if he had to shorten the bars or anything, but it seemed to fit very well. Definitely something on my list if I had a TJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier