Anything compete with the Superlite for weight and cost..?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
The gfc being cheaper and somewhat lower in folded down height makes me very interested in it being adapted as a pop up addition to a reinforced camper shell, with a decent access hole cut into the bottom of the rtt so one could climb up into the tent from inside the shell. I’d be more willing to risk butchering the cheaper gfc than a much more pricey rtt. So I’ll definitely be following this product news.

whitenoise

Adventurer
A tent is a tent is a tent. Or is it? Autohome has been building rooftop tents for 60 years, their tents have been on numerous real expeditions, the design, quality & support of the product is incredible, and the price reflects all of that. If GFC can hit even 50% of all of those attributes for that price, then I’d say they have a huge winner. The demographic they’re going for is completely different to average Autohome customer. This is for weekend vacationers, surfers, MTBers, climbers, road-trippers and new age overlanders, not for drive-around-the-world live-in-my-vehicle types of adventures.

towee

A tent is a tent is a tent. Or is it? Autohome has been building rooftop tents for 60 years, their tents have been on numerous real expeditions, the design, quality & support of the product is incredible, and the price reflects all of that. If GFC can hit even 50% of all of those attributes for that price, then I’d say they have a huge winner. The demographic they’re going for is completely different to average Autohome customer. This is for weekend vacationers, surfers, MTBers, climbers, road-trippers and new age overlanders, not for drive-around-the-world live-in-my-vehicle types of adventures.

I would venture 90% of rtt owners are weekend warriors not doing “real expeditions” and to make the assumption that this tent isn’t of that quality before anyone is ever seen it is unfair. This is just another “ my tent is better” post.

Once these start to hit the market the dust will settle good or bad on this product just like any other new unique offering.

Please don’t get me wrong I’m an old fart and not a fan boy. Honestly I’m put put off by their wait time and social media “buzz” tactics like most my age but this just has too much potential to ignore. If they pull it off and it doesn’t take 8 months to get one they will kill it.

whitenoise

Adventurer
Right, I didn't make any of those assumptions, nor do I own any RTT (I think they're a bit overrated TBH). Please read my post again, and not between the lines cause there's nothing there.

This high-res photo of the Superlite tent grabbed from the GFC website shows what appears to be fabric top and zippered sides on a hard frame, similar to a traditional soft-shell design. Very very innovative!
6-24-20-GFC-Product-1-_1_-4.jpg

Last edited:
I can’t even find a website for terrapod to see what they are all about and whether you can bolt them on to any bedrack. GFC. Stuff is supposed to be very good

Not only that but
I have heard nothing negative about GFC I contacted the terrapod about one got my Jeep when the first prototype came out and was told it’s a no go But that was then.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
Bumping this as I still haven't found much out about the GFC Superlite and how with my Cayenne will I get up to it with the entrance in the back instead of the side. I have a sloping rear tailgate so might have to push the tent towards the back, which would eliminate the use of my tailgate.

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
They released some shots of a test unit. They mentioned they replaced some of the plastic parts with metal. Still under 80lbs Those side clips look to be annoying to deal with, especially in colder weather.
gqu4WCq.jpg

H4JR44B.jpg

4RunAmok

Explorer
I was awaiting details about the terrapod, and when he released dimensions (54" is too wide for many vehicles, the pour-over looks absolutely ridiculous in my personal opinion) and his disdain for anything other than the rhino backbone rack put me off. I already have a Prinsu rack that I'm not replacing just because he doesn't like them. Quote from their page: "There is no added benefit to mounting the RTTx to a roof rack. Therefore - it is not a recommended or supported direction.", what da-f does not supported mean? Also his original weight projection was under 100 pounds (under 90 at one point I recall reading), and he missed it by a long shot.

I'm not shorting the terrapod. It will probably be the best tent out in its class (price/size/materials/features). Don't even talk about Autohome, these people are out of touch with modern rtt users; seriously? Triangle shaped windows at less than 12" in size? MOUSEHOLES for an entrance? Not to mention their bulbous 13" height! Take a look around, people want low-profile, ease of entry, open designs for views and ventilation!

This GFC was announced, knocking me off the terra bandwagon, with relief since I didn't like the width, or the weight. His size specs grew outside of what my wife and I are looking for. If he came out with a 48"-50" wide version, I'd have to drop everything and reconsider yet again!

I don't exactly "love" the color of the GFC, and I understand there won't be options on that either. Yellow isn't terrible, just not my first choice. But the weight, narrow width, the 4" inches closed height, the price, and the fact that I already have a compact collapsing ladder allowing me to save even more, its too nice to pass up on.

Last edited:

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
I was awaiting details about the terrapod, and when he released dimensions (54" is too wide for many vehicles, the pour-over looks absolutely ridiculous in my personal opinion) and his disdain for anything other than the rhino backbone rack put me off. I already have a Prinsu rack that I'm not replacing just because he doesn't like them. Quote from their page: "There is no added benefit to mounting the RTTx to a roof rack. Therefore - it is not a recommended or supported direction.", what da-f does not supported mean? Also his original weight projection was under 100 pounds (under 90 at one point I recall reading), and he missed it by a long shot.

Weight - we decided to focus more on quality of execution rather than simply weight. Primary reason - quality. The lighter materials really started cutting in on the potential life and longevity of the tent. And that didn't sit well. We will happily be right in the middle with a custom engineered frame system at approx 120-130lbs. Still light, but not made of paper. ;)

Re: the rack - We are now an official Rhino-Rack dealer and they have come through with some great products. If the unit is supported, either by our crossbars or by a rack, users can simply tie directly to them or the side mounting tracks. Now that said - a rack mount will not result in the lowest possible profile or weight. You must consider the rack weight and height.

Keep in mind. Our product will not be the end-all-be-all solution for everyone. And that is a-ok. ;)(y)

Last edited:

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Anyone else tired of all these new clamshell RTT's hitting the market claiming to be lightweight, thin etc etc. However at the end of the day, they can't close with a regular mattress, two blankets/sleeping bags, couple pillows plus the ladder? Whole point of the RTT is to have the bedding inside the tent, ready to go for random adventures. Not stored in a box or bag, in the truck box, back of the SUV taking up space.

It's a shame really. A tent a couple inches thicker and able to accommodate this sorta setup would still sell. Heck, I'd be first in line if it was cheaper than the Alucab I owned, that tent fit the bill minus cost.

Last edited:

towee

I’m not tired of any new rtt hitting the market they all have their niche. Bedding is one of those deal breakers for some and could care less for others. It was nice when I had my alu cab but doesn’t bother me now that I don’t have the option. Other things are way more important to me.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
I’m not tired of any new rtt hitting the market they all have their niche. Bedding is one of those deal breakers for some and could care less for others. It was nice when I had my alu cab but doesn’t bother me now that I don’t have the option. Other things are way more important to me.
Me either. As a RTT owner for 8 yrs and using it in all types of weather and sometimes for weeks at a time from Baja to the PNW, and on trails from Teapot Canyon in the Maze District in Utah to Forest Service roads, plus miles of freeways to get quickly from one end of the country to another. The value of storing your bedding in the RTT for it to be ready for sleeping in immediately cannot be overstated. For me, it's a game changer. But now, after selling my RTT and converting to a "squaredrop" offroad trailer, I really don't have much use for a RTT anymore. But.....if I was to purchase another RTT, it would be for trails that I couldn't tow my trailer on. So weight, ease of deploy and packup plus storing bedding inside would be priorities. Also, a simple and quick system of installing and removal from the vehicle would be important. (Still have heard nothing about GFC's "quick-connect system ") I only use the tent for sleeping in. I don't spend any other time in it, so I don't require pockets or power connections or any of the other "bells & whistles" that some seem to desire. The last year I had my RTT, I had moved it off the top of my Land Cruiser and moved it to a utility trailer along with a 270 degree awning. For me, there was no change in use and I think the main reason for that is the need for climbing in and climbing out of the tent. Don't get me wrong, I still appreciated sleeping away from bugs and other campsite challenges, and maybe it's my age but "going to bed" was like an effort that sometimes woke me up enough to make getting to sleep take longer than necessary.

Watching new ideas and how some makers will compromise in their attempts to capture more of the market is part of the adventure of keeping up with technology. Experience, although, will motivate most people with common sense to stay away from "living on the leading edge" and let those that buy impulsively to be the "guinea pigs".

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
I bought one on an impulse to increase the sleeping space of a 4 seater van.
Although keeping stuff inside would be nice, I wanted lightest and thinnest with the most floor space, for THIS application.

My biggest concern is fitting a solar panel.
Its "surf board" compatible so I assume I could put a panel on some foam blocks and strap it down with the D-rings for a semi-permanent install.
The soft cover makes me wonder about what material the roof is? Can it handle a snowload heavier than a surfboard?
Some threaded "bosses" or studs protruding from the roof with a waterproof membrane sealed to the soft cover would be sweet I think.

I might have to send I sent an email to mike@gfc and taylor@gfc regarding above.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles