Anything compete with the Superlite for weight and cost..?

towee

Well I’d want to see more but for that weight and price it could be a real game changer. At the very least you have to applaud them for thinking outside the box.

I love the fact that you don’t have to buy a mattress I’ve never used a stock mattress in any of my rtts with that said at 50” you aren’t getting an exped duo in it or probably even 2 25” pads. it would really benefit from being 2” wider.

I read the word zip in there somewhere I really hope it doesn’t have to zip shut that would be a pretty big negative depending on how difficult it actually is to do on a roof height tent.

Would love to see a back window canopy option doesn’t have to be permanent but having as an option would be fantastic.

I doubt anything will get me out of my gazelle and back up on the roof but this has my attention and I’ll be watching closely. If they get this right they will sell a ton of these.

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
My only concern with this tent will be general fit and finish. Going off general things in the forums (like bugs getting into tents due to gaps in fabric) makes me wonder just how water tight or dust proof this setup actually is. Sure this is a new design and they bombed through some dusty environments with it... but still I wonder what drawbacks will pop up.

Beyond that I like it, and might sell my freespirit adventure and try one out within a year. My main concern is getting across the border to pick one up, especially with the whole virus thing. Hopefully they pump these out fast enough, i'd like to pick one up in the spring as I'm not keeping a fabric tent on my truck all winter. I like the weight, the price (even converted to CDN) but not the fact my exped duo 10 won't fit perfectly in it. So probably have to buy the optional mattress just to save grief. Either way, stoked to see more news on this thing.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
The Superlite RTT is a clever approach, but it will catch some existing RTT owners off guard. I'm sure Go Fast isn't trying to pull a fast one, but with 2 essentials as options (mattress & ladder), the price will jump about $400 to include these. I liked the 80# weight and the price was even more attractive until I looked a little closer. @towee has an excellent point about stock RTT mattresses, but the ladder as an option just doesn't seem right. I'm really curious about the "quick-connect system " and how compatible it is. Since moving from a RTT to an off road trailer, I'd only use a RTT on a run if trailers weren't allowed. The Superlite seems like it would be a great occasional use RTT, IMHO if you had a comfortable mattress, telescoping ladder and it truely was quick and easy to mount/dismount to your rig. I'd also like to see in person or at least a video of deploying and packing up the tent.

Edit: Here's an article on this tent here on Expo.

smittycrusher

Adventurer
I have a year under my belt testing the Terrapod that Phil mentioned and I can't see how anything will beat it for my needs. I just don't see this new offering being anywhere near as durable as the Terrapod and the Terrapod sits less than six inches off my roof line. We tested multiple mattresses and they all worked with the tent, but we all agreed that once we slept on the exped (I have the Megamat Duo in mine), it was a clear winner. I think the slimmer model of the exped is the perfect choice. The good news is that each person gets to decide on their own. I keep my blankets up there with the mattress full time. Even with a 4" and 35s on my 80, I don't even notice the tent up there (on road and off road). I also have zero wind noise. It has been a long road from the first time Chad started picking my brain on what I would look for in a tent after I told him I wanted a RTT but nothing out there was low profile AND light enough for my style (drive across country and wheel technical trails with quick set up in mind). I think he it a grand slam with the various adjustments to each prototype and then the production model based on all the feedback from testing. I have the third prototype and paid for it and am not part of the company at all. It was important for me to pay for the tent so that I wouldn't feel any obligations. If you know anything about manufacturing, you will know that prototypes often cost more than production models ;). I was simply happy to have a RTT that fit my needs when there wasn't anything on the market. I can tell you this thing is strong and light and low profile. I seriously couldn't be happier with my tent.F5F76A59-BEDD-4942-A5A4-A0A5DE5A0962.jpeg

FA792522-546E-45B9-BFF6-D8C64DFC3569.jpeg

Last edited:

mlith

Terrapod prototype #2 owner here, and I can back up what Scott said. On my very first night in the tent somewhere around Moab, I got caught in a monsoon, high winds and machine-gun hail. It was an epic storm. Completely dry inside, and the tent took zero damage. I had even left the rainfly up (oops), and in the morning it was still there and completely intact. Since that night, I've been caught in several storms and it's performed very well, zero issues. He's getting geared up for production right now and I believe is taking preorders.

driedout.jpeg

rosegarden2.jpeg

IMG_6505.jpeg

towee

Not sure how this turned into a terrapod advertisement. No reason to compare a $1300 tent to a tent with a $2900 Kickstarter price. The terrapod seems like a great product and I’m thrilled to see it not being 4K like a lot of other tents in it’s category but this is apples and oranges.

ac1617

Haha I suspect terrapod owners are trying to justify their $2900 tent against this lighter and cheaper alternative that is coming out. Other than that I have no idea why these members decided to plug their over 20 pound heavier and $1600 more expensive RTT in a thread that has nothing to do with Terrapod. Unless they have a vested interest in Terrapod and are afraid this Super lite might take away customers?

smittycrusher

Adventurer
I certainly need no justification for my purchase as there still isn’t anything like the Terrapod out there. But at the Terrapod price point and weight, I was simply answering the question of the OP. I am not an owner of the Terrapod company, have zero equity in the company and get nothing from tent sales. If the topic is low profile and lightweight tents (which this is), then I don’t see how the Terrapod can’t be in the discussion. The other option for low weight is the carbon fiber Maggiolina. It is 101lbs, 12” high and $6k.

Are you assuming that the OP wanted ZERO responses to his post? I only ask that because the only other tents in that price range are much heavier than the Superlight. But I assume you already knew that...so you simply wanted there to be zero responses to this thread?

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Just a higher quality option for the OP. For the record, I have nothing to do with TerraPod. I dont own one or ever plan on purchasing one.

Lets be fair and get the facts correct

Add in the ladder and bedding on the gfc and now weight is within 10lbs to the TerraPod
Dont overlook the gfc is ~20% taller.
One also needs to add in the additional $400 so the GFC its usable and now we are at $1700

Wonder what it is made of?

ac1617

Just a higher quality option for the OP. For the record, I have nothing to do with TerraPod. I dont own one or ever plan on purchasing one.

Lets be fair and get the facts correct

Add in the ladder and bedding on the gfc and now weight is within 10lbs to the TerraPod
Dont overlook the gfc is ~20% taller.
One also needs to add in the additional $400 so the GFC its usable and now we are at $1700

Wonder what it is made of?
I certainly need no justification for my purchase as there still isn’t anything like the Terrapod out there. But at the Terrapod price point and weight, I was simply answering the question of the OP. I am not an owner of the Terrapod company, have zero equity in the company and get nothing from tent sales. If the topic is low profile and lightweight tents (which this is), then I don’t see how the Terrapod can’t be in the discussion. The other option for low weight is the carbon fiber Maggiolina. It is 101lbs, 12” high and $6k.

Are you assuming that the OP wanted ZERO responses to his post? I only ask that because the only other tents in that price range are much heavier than the Superlight. But I assume you already knew that...so you simply wanted there to be zero responses to this thread?

With the ladder and the mattress the tent is $1600, not $1700. Which is still $1200 more than the Terrapod. What are you guys on about "at the Terrapod price point and weight" haha it's still $1200 more and weighs more. Ok sure it's slimmer and sure it can survive a nuclear holocaust but again.... $1200 freaking dollars more lol. The OP asked for a product that competes for weight AND price and you guys are suggesting a RTT that is nearly DOUBLE the price.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
With the ladder and the mattress the tent is $1600, not $1700. Which is still $1200 more than the Terrapod. What are you guys on about "at the Terrapod price point and weight" haha it's still $1200 more and weighs more. Ok sure it's slimmer and sure it can survive a nuclear holocaust but again.... $1200 freaking dollars more lol. The OP asked for a product that competes for weight AND price and you guys are suggesting a RTT that is nearly DOUBLE the price.

The OP owned a Turtleback trailer that tells me that quality is super important and cost of a higher quality TerraPod may be totally acceptable. I look forward to the OP input.

Math??

tent 1299.oo
ladder 100.oo
mattress 279.oo

1678.00 ;)

Which is still $1200 more than the Terrapod ? ??

Good eye noticing the quality build of the TerraPod. At any price a RTT that pretzels in wind would make it worthless even at $1000.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles