Anyone with an AT Overland Summit?

urbikesucks

I love it but woman didnt like driving the diesel truck so we sold truck and thus selling the grandby. I have a tacoma that she is comfortable driving so we shall see.

Rselt

Any owners of the summit in the 6’1” height range? Curious if anyone has had foot clearance issues while laying in the bed.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Any owners of the summit in the 6’1” height range? Curious if anyone has had foot clearance issues while laying in the bed.
I'm 5'10" and do not have foot clearance issues. Upon special request, we can move the hinge point of the bed platform aftwards to give you a bit more room in the foot area.

jmodz

I am 6’1” and my feet are a little cramped in the wedge. Really not that big of a deal. If I knew that you could move the bed aftwards though I would have definitely done that.

Bark40

I am looking at wedge campers (selling our Sportsmobile and had a Four Wheel Camper Finch prior to that). The two I'm looking at are the Alu-Cab Canopy Camper for a longbed Tacoma, or an AT Overland Summit that I would put on a longbed Tacoma or Tundra. Not sure. There are tons of videos on the Alu-cab, but virtually nothing on the AT Summit. The things I like about the Alu-Cab is all the L/T channel. So customizable and buildable and well thought out. The thing I don't like is the rear door and how it attaches to the truck. Certainly prevents water or dust from getting in, but practically makes the truck a pure camper. The things I like about AT Summits are that it uses the tailgate and comes in various sizes (full size - Alu-cab only made for midsize trucks). Also, because of the tailgate you can build out a drawer system, which you can't do with the Alu-cab. However, seems a little less versatile and I can't find any videos of how it pops up, locking mechanism, side doors hatch options, etc. Anyone have any videos or thoughts, etc?

Rselt

I'm 5'10" and do not have foot clearance issues. Upon special request, we can move the hinge point of the bed platform aftwards to give you a bit more room in the foot area.

Very cool, would that effectively slide the whole bed platform aftwards as well?

rbrownmr2

Observer
Does this special request need to be made before purchase/ordering, or is this something that can be added/modified for the early adopters? An inch or two in the front of the wedge where our feet go would make the Summit almost, if not perfect. I am less than 6' and my toes touch the roof, with my pillow and head on the aft edge (when sleeping north-south). If I could get that little more space near the toes, I would enjoy the Summit so much more.

Scoutman

Explorer
For those who are considering this option could someone post a picture of the forward end of the bed area?

elcoyote

Does this special request need to be made before purchase/ordering, or is this something that can be added/modified for the early adopters? An inch or two in the front of the wedge where our feet go would make the Summit almost, if not perfect. I am less than 6' and my toes touch the roof, with my pillow and head on the aft edge (when sleeping north-south). If I could get that little more space near the toes, I would enjoy the Summit so much more.
If you came into our shop we could relocate the hinge point. It would take half a day.

Last edited:

rbrownmr2

Observer
If you came into our shop we could relocayed the hinge point. It would take half a day.
I will figure out a time to do this. Love everything about the Summit, except my big ol' feet touching the lid. I am not surprised at all that you guys have figured out a solution to this. I will be in touch sometime this year, once I figure a good time to come down from the PNW. Are there any photos available of this modification?

elcoyote

I will figure out a time to do this. Love everything about the Summit, except my big ol' feet touching the lid. I am not surprised at all that you guys have figured out a solution to this. I will be in touch sometime this year, once I figure a good time to come down from the PNW. Are there any photos available of this modification?
We don't have any pictures of the modification. It simply moves the bed platform hinge point rearwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior