Anyone using Cooper AT3 XLT tires?

autism family travels

I just noticed these. I am thinking about getting them in 285/75/17 when I get my new (to me) JKU. What are everyone's thoughts on these. I ran Maxx and BFG AT on my last JKU. AT's being the better of the two for my usage. I am thinking the AT3 would be a great all rounder!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
The XLT versions are pretty new and I think were only released in July, so not sure if anyone has any yet. I have been looking at them as well in the 285/75/18 size.

Jack

ExplorerTom

Explorer
The tread pattern looks similar to the ATP/AT3 tires. The sidewall is a little different.

I have the ATPs on my Expedition. I've been happy with them. Didn't get a chance to try them in much snow since last winter was pretty dry. I did get a deep gash in the sidewall while on Black Bear Pass. Didn't puncture the tire, but I did get it replaced under warranty. Probably would have put a gash in any tire (maybe punctured some).

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Tom is correct. Looks like the same tread as my AT3's only with knobby blocks on the sidewalls, a great idea if airing down and for puncture resistance. These were not available when I got my AT3's a couple years ago. I still like this design. They give good miles and are relatively quiet.
jefe
on the front:

on the rear 10 inch rims: note the lack of sidewall armor blocks: On sand, in low pressure this has not been a problem, and the tread works pretty good in snow even with the large tread blocks and small voids. Must be the sippes.

ultraclyde

Observer
I'm running the AT3s as well and have been very happy with them. If the XLTs had been available I certainly would have gone with them instead. Looks like it would add some grip when aired down. My only complaint on the AT3s is they don't look very aggressive, and those look a lot more macho. Yeah, that's a minor thing, but if I'm spending good money on tires, why not get something that works AND looks good? I also like that they make a 31x10.50 in a C rating for my lightweight Jeep.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
ultra, we ran a quartet of AT-3's on Jeanie's 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited and they were pretty good in snow and very quiet.........at the beginning. As they got about 2/3's worn, the dredded roar started to rear it's ugly head. They got noisier and noisier as they got nearer the end so we went with a milder tread on the next set of tires. They did produce around 70K miles of use. I'm told that my truck tires above (315x75R16 - 35 inch, 3860 pounds load rating) were of a upgraded design to lessen the noise factor. So far so good, and I expect the newest XLT's to be quieter yet. Let's hope. jefe
About the 'look' of the tires. I've found after 40 or more sets of tires for 4WD's over 5 decades that the aggressiveness of the tires is inverse to the longevity and quietude, you pay twice for the macho look.

These were aggressive but didn't last and were tre noisey.

These were noisy too:

jefe

snowfiend

ultra, we ran a quartet of AT-3's on Jeanie's 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited and they were pretty good in snow and very quiet.........at the beginning. As they got about 2/3's worn, the dredded roar started to rear it's ugly head. They got noisier and noisier as they got nearer the end so we went with a milder tread on the next set of tires. They did produce around 70K miles of use. I'm told that my truck tires above (315x75R16 - 35 inch, 3860 pounds load rating) were of a upgraded design to lessen the noise factor. So far so good, and I expect the newest XLT's to be quieter yet. Let's hope. jefe
About the 'look' of the tires. I've found after 40 or more sets of tires for 4WD's over 5 decades that the aggressiveness of the tires is inverse to the longevity and quietude, you pay twice for the macho look.

These were aggressive but didn't last and were tre noisey.

These were noisy too:

jefe
I will second this about the cooper AT3. I have ~45k on 285/70/17's (f150) and they have been getting really loud over the past 10k miles. Getting ready to replace them but I want to jump up a size to 285/75/17 which has limited options. AT3, ST MAXX, KO2, and a few Nitto tires. I will likely get the AT3's again since the ST MAXX is $60 more per tire.

ultraclyde

Observer
I've only got about 5k on my AT3s, so I haven't had noise issues yet. That's the thing about looking good - I could have bought some kind of MTs for looks, but function is first. That's the thing that struck me about the XLTs - looks tougher but likely rides/drives/wears/sounds about what I have now. Hopefully mine will stay quiet enough as they wear.

Mundo - given your wide experience, which was louder - something like the tread on the Dodge above, or the AT3s?

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
ultra, Oh, the Nitto Mud tires on the front of the Dodge were much louder and didn't last compared to the AT-3's: about 22K miles. Compound too soft. Of course, at that time we were doing things like the Mojave Road twice; botjh directions, and various rocky jeep trails in the Sierra Nevada and Inyos with our 10K pound sled which eats away at the tread and sidewalls. But this is apples and oranges since all your rigs are 5K pounds lighter than ours. Still, the AT-3's are the best and toughest tire I've had that will carry the load and not get rock chipped of any of the tires I've had on the RAM. Watch this vid of us going up the 300 foot Diablo Drop Off in Anza. We ran @ 20 pounds of air in a tire that is rated at 65 pounds, and crawled right up to the amazement of a few motorcycle guys who had trouble staying upright in the blow sand. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfj5y93wsd7vfkw/jefe does sand hill at dry wash of the devil Anza.m4v?dl=0
jefe

ultraclyde

Observer
Nice video. Yeah, that's kind of what I expect out of the AT3s. They may get loud but they're still probably quieter than any other tire of equal capability.

snowfiend

I had 285/75/17 Cooper AT3 XLT's put on my F150 yesterday. They look great and ride smooth and quiet. I didn't realize just how loud the old AT3's were until the new ones went on, but I am happy with the wear at 45k miles even though they are rated 55k. I don't like to run them all the way down anyways.

IMG_20180821_150453.jpg

rdraider

Adventurer
I have about 57,000 on a set of ATPs right now, and have noticed more noise here of late. They've been all around so good, i'll probably go with them aagin. I have been looking at the newer version of the AT3's available on amazon. They have a 60,000 warranty

1stDeuce

Explorer
To those of you noticing more noise as tires wear, can any of you comment on whether you are rotating them at all or not? It seems like most people no longer rotate their tires... There is really no good reason a worn tire would make more noise a newer one aside from tread wear and cupping. I would guess that rotating them every 10k or so would greatly reduce that tendency...

FWIW, I just put a set of 265/75R16 AT/3's on my little dump truck. I paid $540 for the four tires delivered through tirecrawler.com, and $78 to mount an balance them on empty wheels. Cooper has a $70 rebate, so they'll cost me about $550 total. Getting the LT version would have cost me about $100 more. I didn't see the point for my use.

That said, a neighbor just put 285/70R17 AT/3 XLT's on one of his work trucks and they do look good. He said they were almost $1000 installed by a local tire chain!!

Though I love the Maxx's on my my personal truck, I may go to a 265 or 285/70R17 AT/3 XLT when thy wear out... I'd be especially keen on AT/3's if Cooper released them in a 255/80R17... (Are you reading this, Cooper???)

Last edited:

PV Hiker

Observer
May get noisier due to age of the tire. Rubber cures and drys out and gets harder. Which means that there is less "soft" rubber to dampen the noise and vibration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles