Anyone using Cooper AT3 XLT tires?

oksir83

I moved from a C-rated 275/70R17 AT/3 to an E-rated 305/70R17 AT/3 XLT. I only have a few hundred miles on the XLTs, but they are only marginally stiffer than the C-load range AT/3s. I also cranked my torsion bars a bit, so may not be a really fair comparison. However, they are not as still as I had pictured and I am more than pleased with the XLTs.

Saint Nick

Have a look at the Cooper ST Maxx. For the last 15+ years I've used BFG A/T and have never had an issue and they've performed great in terms of longevity and handling. Having not been too impressed with the latest BFG A/T offering - reviews and speaking to people using them - I opted for the Cooper ST Maxx. They are a more aggressive AT tyre, however they are great on and off the road, although very slightly noisier than the BFG on tarmac - only notice with the window open and no music on. The wear rate is at least as good as the BFG's, so for the foreseeable future I'll stick with these (y)

ultraclyde

Observer
I moved from a C-rated 275/70R17 AT/3 to an E-rated 305/70R17 AT/3 XLT. I only have a few hundred miles on the XLTs, but they are only marginally stiffer than the C-load range AT/3s. I also cranked my torsion bars a bit, so may not be a really fair comparison. However, they are not as still as I had pictured and I am more than pleased with the XLTs.

Thanks, good Info. Where are you running pressures in the E-rated verses the previous C?

Amp34

I'm considering these tires for my 17 f150 running stock Wranglers. Has anyone swapped over from those to the XLT's? What are the like?

Also looking at the Wildpeaks and Geolandar G015's but there's very little proper testing on road of any of these tires.

Mlemaster

Hey, just ordered a set of the Cooper Disoverer AT3 XLTs in 35x12.50-20 for the wife's 2016 F350, currently running el cheapo Amp Trail Grippers of the same size. These tires are terrible but came with truck when bought. Super excited to get these new tires mounted and try them out. I have always been a BF Goodrich man, having just purchased KO2s for our Excursion a few months ago. And also running KM3s prior. Nothing at all wrong with the KO2s but why not dip my toes in the Cooper pond. Cant deny the savings of $200+ with choosing the AT3 XLTs over the KO2s is a nice benefit too! I will post pics and a quick first impressions review upon mounting them up and driving a bit. Hopefully tomorrow night.

Mlemaster

Hey, just ordered a set of the Cooper Disoverer AT3 XLTs in 35x12.50-20 for the wife's 2016 F350, currently running el cheapo Amp Trail Grippers of the same size. These tires are terrible but came with truck when bought. Super excited to get these new tires mounted and try them out. I have always been a BF Goodrich man, having just purchased KO2s for our Excursion a few months ago. And also running KM3s prior. Nothing at all wrong with the KO2s but why not dip my toes in the Cooper pond. Cant deny the savings of $200+ with choosing the AT3 XLTs over the KO2s is a nice benefit too! I will post pics and a quick first impressions review upon mounting them up and driving a bit. Hopefully tomorrow night.
Quick pic and first impressions; arrived at Mr. Tire in Boone, NC and the crew quickly went to work. After an hour or so I received the keys and hit highway 321 for a few miles. Tires look great, are very quiet and handling is spectacular. Nothing off- road yet but I'm sure it will only be a week or so before they get tested.

Attachments

• 20190320_184550.jpg
    20190320_184550.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 91
  • 20190320_184604.jpg
    20190320_184604.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 93
  • 20190320_154722.jpg
    20190320_154722.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 84

Saint Nick

Quick pic and first impressions; arrived at Mr. Tire in Boone, NC and the crew quickly went to work. After an hour or so I received the keys and hit highway 321 for a few miles. Tires look great, are very quiet and handling is spectacular. Nothing off- road yet but I'm sure it will only be a week or so before they get tested.
Good choice, don't think you'll be disappointed (y)

Nick

ultraclyde

Observer
I thought I'd report back since I've got a few miles on the new AT3 XLTs. I went with 275/70r18 E-rated tires on a factory stock 2013 F150 FX4, moving away from a 265/70 P-rated street tire. I've got about 3k miles on them now, almost all pavement so far. They are very quiet, even at speed. Like, I can't really tell a difference from the street tires I took off of it except maybe above 70mph. Even then, it might just be wind noise. The ride is great. I can feel slightly more impact over bumps I think, but from the passenger seat my wife says she can't tell any difference at all. I can feel the additional weight of the tires (+20 lbs EACH) in a couple ways. Acceleration is less crisp. I lost a solid 1mpg average, maybe a little more on the highway. And I can feel the stock shocks have to work harder to control repetitive movement like concrete seams. Totally worth these tradeoffs for now, and I can remedy them with a tune and better shocks. Well, not the MPG, but mid 14s around town is fine for a 6700lb truck. I did find that they are happier at 50PSI than the 45 that the store set them to. Better control on road, little accel gain, and I gained 0.2 MPG on average, and the ride didn't change. If they appear to be wearing on the outside edges when I get to the first rotation I may go up a little more. Towing a 2500lb boat around is a non issue.

Off road - I've only done some runs on dry gravel roads but they were fine. They do tend to pick up a LOT of pea gravel. Glad I've got mudflaps to keep the rock bullets off the paint.

So far, so good. I really can't get over how nice they ride and drive on road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles