Anyone using an GMC AT4 or any other GM pickup for overlanding?

landis76

I just made the transition from a Jeep JKU to a 2020 GMC AT4 and finding that outfitting options are a little more difficult to find more than I thought over the Jeep. Yeah I know, "Duh" but I had hope to find close to as many options as I would find for Ford or Dodge.
Side question: Has anyone found a hard tonneau cover and RTT rack combo that works well together?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Nice truck, I like the At4 a lot.

If you're on IG you should be able to find a few AT4 overland rigs. How similar is the bed to a chevy? Maybe they work together?

jadmt

ignore button user
my buddy loves his diamond back. he is going to run it with his james baroud XXL. I am expecting AEV to come out with some stuff for the at4's as there has been a couple of AT4's with mfg plates at the r&d for a long time.
D043569B-4994-4633-800C-E03EA0E158C8.jpeg

ChasingOurTrunks

I think one of the contributing writers here has one.

I was thinking the same thing - looks like an ExPo Project Truck:

Of note - the front bumper situation is a bit of an annoyance, and GM has gone through quite a few "face" changes in their trucks. I had a difficult time finding a proper Bullbar for my Canyon that I trusted and ended up getting an ARB one for a Colorado; the nature of the GM marque is there seems to be a lot more stuff for Chevys than there are for GMCs. I'm not sure if the same "borrow it from a Chevy" approach could be done on the AT4 Sierra with a Silverado bumper. The frames are the same but the front fascia is different enough that cross-fitment is not guaranteed.

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
I was thinking the same thing - looks like an ExPo Project Truck:

Of note - the front bumper situation is a bit of an annoyance, and GM has gone through quite a few "face" changes in their trucks. I had a difficult time finding a proper Bullbar for my Canyon that I trusted and ended up getting an ARB one for a Colorado; the nature of the GM marque is there seems to be a lot more stuff for Chevys than there are for GMCs. I'm not sure if the same "borrow it from a Chevy" approach could be done on the AT4 Sierra with a Silverado bumper. The frames are the same but the front fascia is different enough that cross-fitment is not guaranteed.
don't know if it would fit but I helped install my buddies Warn bumper and it is a quality set up and after seeing the stock bumper which feels like it was made from a recycled six pack of aluminum cans I think a bumper on one of these is a requirement.
0B5D78CD-BE1D-4C75-BE36-0445307341C3.jpeg

ChasingOurTrunks

That looks really good, @jadmt and is a good illustration of what I was talking about. I’m not sure that bumper would mount up to the GMC version - the front fascia is a lot different and might make it hard to do. But, it looks like Warn do make a bumper for the GMC so there may be a lot more options than I thought!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
don't know if it would fit but I helped install my buddies Warn bumper and it is a quality set up and after seeing the stock bumper which feels like it was made from a recycled six pack of aluminum cans I think a bumper on one of these is a requirement.
View attachment 700508
I know based on the previous picture that truck is silver. But in that light it looks like the old GMT-800 pewter. Too bad they don't offer that color cause it would look good on that truck!

ABBB

I just made the transition from a Jeep JKU to a 2020 GMC AT4 and finding that outfitting options are a little more difficult to find more than I thought over the Jeep. Yeah I know, "Duh" but I had hope to find close to as many options as I would find for Ford or Dodge.
Side question: Has anyone found a hard tonneau cover and RTT rack combo that works well together?

I’ve set up my Colorado ZR2 Bison with a Retrax Pro XR tonneau and a Frontrunner bedrack to which I mount an RTT at times. Theft and bear proof. Even ran indoor plumbing for my wife (see downspout in photo #1). We lived out of this for about 6 weeks this summer while moving cross-country.

e6912c4daf8546557e102ee5508822cd.jpg

1396838e643bccdf744de30742e1cf4c.jpg

255210d4a9f485f33bcf626daca513ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZMagic97

Explorer
I’ve set up my Colorado ZR2 Bison with a Retrax Pro XR tonneau and a Frontrunner bedrack to which I mount an RTT at times. Theft and bear proof. Even ran indoor plumbing for my wife (see downspout in photo #1). We lived out of this for about 6 weeks this summer while moving cross-country.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the exact set up I am looking to achieve if I go with a RTT in the future. Looks great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles