Anyone use their RTT with very young kids? Expecting a baby this month.

jconway2002

My wife and I have enjoyed using our Tepui tent over the past couple years, but very soon we will have an additional person to share the tent with. I was wondering if anyone takes their <1 year olds camping in their RTT? Have you made any modifications to make it safer for them?

I am also looking to add some non slip grip to the telescoping ladder. Can anyone recommend a product?

Thanks.

Cletus26

Adventurer
My wife and I have enjoyed using our Tepui tent over the past couple years, but very soon we will have an additional person to share the tent with. I was wondering if anyone takes their <1 year olds camping in their RTT? Have you made any modifications to make it safer for them?

I am also looking to add some non slip grip to the telescoping ladder. Can anyone recommend a product?

Thanks.

This is what I used on my tepui ladder. Sorry no suggestions about a small child but I'd think it's pretty safe. If you're worried about them getting out you could clasp the 2 zippers on each window together so they won't open.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Non-Slip-Grip-Tape-Black/16783110

syke

Adventurer
Congrats on the babe.

We spend a considerable amount of time in our Autohome overland rtt with two small kids. A two year old (the rtt is all she knows) and just added a 2 month old. The 2 month old sleeps in a small dog bed.
Like Cletus26 mentioned, we use a very similar product for the ladder and for nap time the 2 y/o she gets locked in with the zippers clasped together with micro carabiners. Or it's the pack-n-play in the annex.
For nap time the 2 month old is easy... until the crawling stage beings. Then it's the same setup as the 2 y/o

harbinger808

Adventurer
We started our RTT adventures when our son was 3 and daughter was under a year old. We found that we didn't need to make any mods to our tent. they were taught not to push on the mesh screens and learned it fast. We got some some gearties from Niteize just incase we needed them on the zippers to keep from opening. Have never used them though.

jconway2002

Thanks everyone. This is helpful. Sounds like the RTT is still going to be viable once the little one comes. Cant wait to get back on the road!

shoredreamer

Observer
My daughter slept in the Tepui when she was 3 months for a dozen or so nights. We used the Snuggle Nest and kept her away from the walls on cold nights. Didn't have to worry about my son kicking her or us rolling over on her with it. Thing has a little night light and noises too and folds up small. That's about all we changed. Pre 8 months is easy. Lots of sleep and you can just strap them to you at camp. The crawling stage and beginning walking stage I've found the most difficult for overland style trips. Accidents all the time. She's 1 1/2 now so I think it only gets easier/funner now.

ttengineer

Adventurer
For my 4 month old we just plop him right next to my wife. He sleeps in a Merlin's Magic Sleep Suit, its like a puffy jump suit, and we just make sure that his feet, head, and hands are covered. The suit makes it very difficult for the child to startle awake, roll over, or even crawl. It works great and I cant praise it enough. We've been using one since 4 weeks old and he sleeps through the night.

Once he's strong enough to crawl, Ill probably add something to the zippers to keep him inside. Even those wont last long though, kids get mighty smart awfully fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles