Anyone use their ARB compressor to inflate SUPs or Kayaks?

SBSYNCRO

Just ordered an iSUP and wondering if I should spend $35 in a schrader-Boston adapter and use the ARB (single cylinder) compressor on the Jeep, or just spring for the $100 dedicated inflator for such toys.. I know that I'll have to be very careful with inflation pressure if I use the ARB...

vaulter1

I've used mine to inflate but be very careful as it gets to the max pressure. I had one (iSUP) blow up on me because the gauge reading was off and it was sitting in the hot sun for a bit too long. Also note that the ARB isn't a high volume compressor so it's still going to take almost as long as a manual pump - although far less tiresome. Before spending $30 on an adapter, try THIS one for $4 - it's worked fine for me.

zelseman

Observer
Not quite the ARB, but we have used our VIAIR 400p to inflate our SUP and packraft, as mentioned, be very careful approaching max pressure.
I prefer to just use the manual pump, but if you use the ARB, cut it short a few pounds and finish it with the manual pump.

Mfitz

Not quite the ARB, but we have used our VIAIR 400p to inflate our SUP and packraft, as mentioned, be very careful approaching max pressure.
I prefer to just use the manual pump, but if you use the ARB, cut it short a few pounds and finish it with the manual pump.
I have a Viair and an adapter but the problem is that it took so long to even get close to pressure. Easier, yes; faster, not really.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
I have a twinair that I use to inflate 2x 11' boards. works well. Just use a good gauge. Recently I picked up a 12v pump for watercraft and they take the same amount of time to fill the boards, but the new pump has a settable limit switch so it will turn off at the desired psi. Downside is it's more to pack, upside is I can fill two boards at once. I bought it from irocker but it looks like they have a different version now.

Weeds

Adventurer
Look at the Lowes Kobalt high volume low pressure battery powered pump. The battery can also power you impact driver to remove wheel lugs, etc.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
High volume manual pumps make short work of SUPs and other small inflatable craft. The high pressure pumps aren’t really high volume and as mentioned a pressure risk.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
High volume manual pumps make short work of SUPs and other small inflatable craft. The high pressure pumps aren’t really high volume and as mentioned a pressure risk.

In my case, the high volume manual pump also took a similar time to fully inflate as the other two 12v pumps, except less effort.

I say if you have a pump installed in your truck with 100% duty cycle, it's okay to use.

Have a good gauge, have an idea of how much time it should take to inflate and you should have no issue over inflating. Considering time, effort, risk and storage I'll use the electric pump. I prefer my exercise to be on the board YMMV :)

Montucky

Director of Post Ride Beverages
This is what you want for NRS boards. Won't overinflate as it cuts off at 15psi and inflates via a Schrader valve as well.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have a 11ft body Glove SUP came with the two way manual pump takes me about 9 minutes to pump up 7-9psi. They are only rated to 15psi. Came with an electric pump but haven’t tried it typically those are high volume low psi like a blower not a low volume high psi tire pump.

My RIB is only max 3-5psi thats a 10hp max 1200lb payload 10ft hull.

Steve_382

One of the guys in the SUP shop explained that if you get the dedicated SUP pump they can also be used to deflate the unit to get it to the smallest size for packing away. I don't have any experience with it, but it made sense.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
One of the guys in the SUP shop explained that if you get the dedicated SUP pump they can also be used to deflate the unit to get it to the smallest size for packing away. I don't have any experience with it, but it made sense.
Yes really helps the manual pump I have for the RIb it’s probably 20-30% more volume than the SUP manual pump also can switch to removing air which it a must to get the heavy canvas packed down.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler

It actually helps suck the air out of the SUP or kayak, which as pointed out above by CC deflates your rig better and makes packing it easier.

Until I discovered this useful trick, I often gave bystanders quite a comical show of wrestling with my deflated kayaks and even belly flopping on top of them, all in the effort to squeeze out the last trapped air in the inflation chambers as I tried to fold the boats small enough to fit into their carry bags!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke