Anyone use one of the collapsible silicone tea kettles?

barbasol

Had one and worked well but did take some flame on a high btu burner. Went a different route but would consider a titanium or other kettle next time

slowtwitch

Adventurer
I wouldn't use that s*#t.

How about a stainless/ Ti mug that u can just put over the stove? Jetboil?

Not having a vessel to boil water is pretty spartan.....

SBSYNCRO

The primary advantage of the collapsible kettle is obviously how space efficient it is. I don't know about you guys, but my "Cook Box" is always a challenge to repack because space is so tight. Also having a dedicated kettle for boiling water keeps the morning coffee from tasting like last night's shrimp risotto...

krick3tt

Adventurer
I can put my metal kettle on the fire or in the fire to heat water. Can't do that with a plastic kettle or pot. I made allowances for space when creating my kitchen so that would not be a reason to have a fold up kettle.. I bought a fold up vessel to replace my SS pan for water (SS pan, 99 cents at a thrift store) but took it back when I discovered it could not go on the heat and I would have to heat water in a separate container to use the fold up sink, so twice the items for one job. Made no sense.
I no longer back pack so weight is not an issue.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
A pot.....and a pan. Cook with one, boil with other. Maybe a metal mug that serves to boil and drink out of.

Your quandary is one an ultra lite back packer would have....

mefreer

I have been using one for over 10 years. I use in my truck camper and an additional one in my Landcruiser overlanding equipment. I like the compact storage. My wife and I use it for hot water to make coffee, chocolate and tea. It folds up smaller than the previous pots I have used in the past.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I used to but found that using a Jet Boil to boil water was much easier and faster.

I know what you mean. I go back and forth on my light weight packing for the motorcycle. I always seem to gravitate back to the jetboil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles