Anyone use a genny along with solar?

Etzu

I'm noticing nearly every single RV for sale has little to zero hours on their gennys, even 20-30 year old RVs with 100k miles on them routinely show less than 24hrs of use.

I found a RT that comes without a genny for sale locally, I was thinking the space normally occupied by it would be great for a couple batteries.

Solar is cheap compared to even the simplest of gennys.

I do A LOT of off the grid boondocking, but the only time I'm in one spot long enough to need power that solar wouldn't suffice is at burning man, and even then, I don't see myself spending much time in the van.

So would you add a genny or just go solar?

What are some reasons you'd prefer a genny?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The low hours may just be because very few people actually use their RVs! The other issue is that many RVs have tiny chargers, so running the generator makes little sense for charging. Many RVers have shore power when they camp. Lots of folks kill their batteries every year or two, and think its normal.

There is a good usage case for a generator though.
-Need to run A/C
-High power needs, and cloudy/winter weather (short days)

A generator goes well with a solar array if you include a meaty shore power charger. The generator can be run for an hour or two to get the batteries to 80-90% SOC. The solar can finish the charge over the 2-6 hours it takes to complete absorb. During the winter, or cloudy weather solar array output can be very low, this is especially true of flat mounted panels. The low sun incidence angle will kill the output. Being able to get a quick bulk charge in can allow the solar to achieve the full 100% charge that lead acid batteries need to avoid an early death.

It varies a lot by usage case, but extra batteries need to be balanced with charging (gen, shore, solar), otherwise they will sulfate and die early.

Instead of a heavy chassis mounted generator, a portable gas/lpg fuel unit can be lighter and cheaper. The honda units are superb.

john61ct

Adventurer
Most RVers don't go off grid.

Some appliance loads require a genny, just silly to try to power from the bank.

Some users in some locations just use a total AH per day greater than average solar input.

Best to truly maximise your panel watts, whatever you can fit on the roof.

Choices then include

A lower consumption

B use a genny in the morning to give solar a boost

C just head back to mains power when it just stays too low for you

D recharge by alternators, unnecessarily running your propulsion engine

Both C and D include

accept you are murdering your bank through PSOC abuse

unless it is Firefly or LFP, but talk about pricey.

DLTooley

Observer
Running a generator during peak loads, including the initial phase of battery recharging, is a good strategy. Making the best decision will depend on tracking your actual use and solar production. IMO folks don't prioritize this enough in their system design/solar controller selection. The portable Honda (secured) is good bet.

Everyone seems to mention Honda generators. While they are great they are expensive for what they are. I haven't checked lately but do not know if they offer off the factory shelf with dual fuel capabilities. I know there are kits to make the conversion BUT. Champion Power Equipment offers quality comparable inverter tech dual fuel ready generators. Having a small generator to bulk charge or use for high demand items makes good sense. Having a dual fuel generator makes even more sense if you use propane.
Champion Inverter Dual Fuel Generators

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
I carry a small 1000W Sportsman inverter/generator along with a PowerMax 35A charger to compliment 200W solar and 210AH of batteries. I camp under forest canopy a lot and the generator & charger is used to get the batteries to 80% in the AM and let the solar panels handle the absorption phase. I am usually at 100% at the end of the day. The Sportsman is small enough to stow in a FWC Grandby and only cost me $179; can't afford a Honda.

jim

JCDriller

Adventurer
My Turtleback has 50w on the tongue, but when camping I hook 200w remote up to it. I just installed a Honda 2200 because my wife and kid really wanted ac at night while sleeping. Going to use it next over the whole month of July in Canada. I change the batteries via the onboard dual battery charger, not the Honda 12v output.62A7446A-4176-4718-8647-1C17788A44F4.jpeg58B1EC2C-BD79-4EC6-B847-53EF9ADCEDAB.jpegE12B4320-D3B3-42F3-9053-11174635612C.jpeg52E6DDC6-BF31-4CA1-843A-50A48A60CF91.jpeg138F1A08-01F3-4D89-BEA6-93E01A1D2B83.jpeg

Etzu

Most RVers don't go off grid.

Some appliance loads require a genny, just silly to try to power from the bank.

Some users in some locations just use a total AH per day greater than average solar input.

Best to truly maximise your panel watts, whatever you can fit on the roof.

Choices then include

A lower consumption

B use a genny in the morning to give solar a boost

Both C and D include

Thank you, not sure what the last two sentences mean though.

Etzu

I carry a small 1000W Sportsman inverter/generator along with a PowerMax 35A charger to compliment 200W solar and 210AH of batteries. I camp under forest canopy a lot and the generator & charger is used to get the batteries to 80% in the AM and let the solar panels handle the absorption phase. I am usually at 100% at the end of the day. The Sportsman is small enough to stow in a FWC Grandby and only cost me $179; can't afford a Honda.

jim
Hmm, those are very cheap. Thanks for that. What tchachkis are you sacrificing with the sportsman over say a honda or champion?

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I've recently added a 2200w Briggs and Stratton portable generator to my teardrop to help top up batteries if solar starts to lag. It was on sale up here in Canada for $499 from $799 and is very quiet, I'd say pretty much the same as a Honda.

XJINTX

Explorer
I have an FWC Hawk camper with AC and live in TX. If I want my wife to come with me in the summer AC is a must. When off grid primitive I use my generator to cool camper before sleep time and then shut off. I have the Smitty Built 2600 with remote start. So I can turn off from in bed :) In theory I can turn back on again but have not needed too. Sometimes we cool camper off during the day too.

Another reason I bought a generator is... a friend and I were primitive camping in NM. We hit a stretch of 3 rainy days that we were base camped. Solar was just not up to to it we were both on last bit of power. However he had his Honda with him so we fired it up and charged both campers.

I am and so are my friends very careful and friendly so as not to bother if we have others camping with us.

john61ct

Adventurer

Both C and D include

Thank you, not sure what the last two sentences mean though.
By failing to get your lead bank back to true 100% Full frequently enough

AKA PSOC abuse

or depleting it below 50% more than occasionally (god forbid all the way flat)

a quality bank that **could** last 12+ years if coddled, may only last a season or two.

AKA murdered by the owner.

Since the last 4-5 hours of charging - required to get from say 90% to true 100% - is at very low amps, it just isn't worth burning dino juice to do so, only solar or mains unless you're driving all day anyway.

LFP banks do not have this trailing amps issue, nor should they sit at Full.

Firefly Oasis are lead, and should get to Full as often as possible, but are uniquely resistant to PSOC abuse and will last many cycles despite it, as long as you regularly follow their capacity restore procedure.

Hope that helps.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Hmm, those are very cheap. Thanks for that. What tchachkis are you sacrificing with the sportsman over say a honda or champion?
Those sportsman 1000w generators are the same thing that is re-branded as a ton of different low budget manufactures. Most reviews point out they don't come close to putting out their claimed wattage and reliability isn't the best.

If you want to save money look into the Briggs & Stratton P2200 or P3000 inverter generators. All the same features and performance as the Honda and Yamahas but about half the price, made in the USA, and Briggs & Stratton have some experience with small engines.

Last edited:

mezmochill

Is outside
By failing to get your lead bank back to true 100% Full frequently enough

AKA PSOC abuse

or depleting it below 50% more than occasionally (god forbid all the way flat)

a quality bank that **could** last 12+ years if coddled, may only last a season or two.

AKA murdered by the owner.

Since the last 4-5 hours of charging - required to get from say 90% to true 100% - is at very low amps, it just isn't worth burning dino juice to do so, only solar or mains unless you're driving all day anyway.

LFP banks do not have this trailing amps issue, nor should they sit at Full.

Firefly Oasis are lead, and should get to Full as often as possible, but are uniquely resistant to PSOC abuse and will last many cycles despite it, as long as you regularly follow their capacity restore procedure.

Hope that helps.

Any recommendations are where to pick up one of those firefly batteries?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles