Anyone use a genny along with solar?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Other way round :cool:

Semantics - by shore power charger I mean an onboard charger powered from an external source; not a charger external to the vehicle. I should have been clearer.

Now, if I could actually mount my solar charger on the sun ...

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
Just kidding around, meant the charger plugs into the genny.
Never seen a genny plug into anything, dangerous and illegal in many jurisdictions.

Mfitz

Just kidding around, meant the charger plugs into the genny.
Never seen a genny plug into anything, dangerous and illegal in many jurisdictions.

Thanks all for the guidance on this. I am leaning towards a Honda 2200 generator with an Iota 45A charger. Not cheap, but seems to be the best solution for deep shade solar issues. Not sure how I'll wire it, I am guessing I'll do a permanent install with a disconnect switch between the charger and the batteries to isolate the charger from the batteries when not in use. Should I try to situate the charger as close as possible to the batteries to prevent line loss, or would using larger gauge cables be enough? Maybe a silly question, but should I isolate (or pull the fuse from) the panels when I am generator charging? I wasn't sure if it would confuse the solar charge controller.

I only really envision using it on specific days when my batteries are running low and solar isn't producing much due to weather/ shade. My battery bank can last a few days without much input from the solar panels before it starts to run low, so it wouldn't be an everyday thing.

dreadlocks

no need to isolate the charger with a switch, they maintain your batteries when not in use so you can leave the charger hooked up continuously with shore/generator power.. A good charger should be safe to keep connected to a lead battery indefinitely.

charger needa be as close to battery as is reasonable, so it knows the actual voltage and temperature of battery.

I have a honda 2200 and 45A charger on my rig, works great even at full amps the genny is basically idling and quiet. Got a 100' 12ga extension cord from harbor freight and I can get genny far enough away its virtually silent while batteries are getting refilled.. solar is next and I'm expecting my generator use to go down dramatically.. but its not going anywhere, batteries are too expensive to abuse and solar in a forrest is nowhere near as dependable as a honda is.

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
No need to disconnect the solar - different battery chargers don't butt heads. It's like two air compressors to one air tank, with each compressor having its own pressure cutoff switch.

john61ct

Adventurer
Not sure if the Iota can de-rate amps if needed.

That genny can drive a much bigger charger, maybe even double.

AKA if that's the biggest load can get a smaller / cheaper genset.

Mfitz

Not sure if the Iota can de-rate amps if needed.

That genny can drive a much bigger charger, maybe even double.

AKA if that's the biggest load can get a smaller / cheaper genset.

Great idea, maybe I can get away with a Honda 1000? If it can supply the 45A charger then I can save some on the generator without sacrificing charging. I could go 2200 on the generator and a larger charger, but that would be more money on both, not sure it would be worth it for the little I'll hopefully use it.

Thanks also to Dreadlocks and DWH for continuing to send good advice my way. I know just enough about this stuff to get myself in DIY trouble.......

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
The max amperage of the Iota is not adjustable. However it can be limited by undersizing the feed wire to the battery.

According to the specs, the DLS-45 can draw up to 11a on the AC side under full load, and the DLS-45-X can hit a max inrush of 30a and then draw up to 11a under full load.

A Honda 1000 is actually rated 900w/7.5a continuous, 1000w/8.3a surge. It *might* run a DLS-45 under full load...but I wouldn't want to bet on it.

If you want to save money by using a Honda 1000, then I'd say drop down to a 30a Iota. It won't add all that much time to the bulk stage...maybe an hour...and the long absorb stage will take the same time either way.

dreadlocks

a larger generator will run quieter if noise is of any value to you, a 2200 @ 30% load will produce alot less noise than a 1000 @ 66% with the eco throttle.. They are still loud when you load em up.. and if your looking at 8-12h+ recharge you gotta tolerate it running all day long.

I also use my Genny for AirCon (9500btu) and emergency backup power at home to run my gas furnace and deep freezer.. a 2200 can run a big btu aircon too if you get a soft-start for em.

john61ct

Adventurer
I would save on the genny and spend more on a future-proof charger.

Best is a charger sized so that it can max out the genny when needed, but also capable of being de-rated. And high quality + user-custom voltage setpoints means future proofing.

Smaller inverter gensets show up on sale at just $250-400 sometimes even propane fueled which is very handy.

Mfitz

I would save on the genny and spend more on a future-proof charger.

Best is a charger sized so that it can max out the genny when needed, but also capable of being de-rated. And high quality + user-custom voltage setpoints means future proofing.

Smaller inverter gensets show up on sale at just $250-400 sometimes even propane fueled which is very handy.

I followed up with Iota and they basically confirmed what many of you recommended- they recommend their 45 and 55 amp chargers (DLS-45, DLS-55) if you were using a Honda EU2200, while their 15 or 30 amp chargers (DLS-15, DLS-30) would be the recommendation if you had a Honda EU1000. Nothing particular about the Hondas in this case, but use the Honda output specs to translate into other brand generators you might use. I will most likely use this as a solution to my deep shade charging needs when solar just won't produce, thanks to all who steered me in this direction!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior