Anyone use a genny along with solar?

By failing to get your lead bank back to true 100% Full frequently enough

AKA PSOC abuse

or depleting it below 50% more than occasionally (god forbid all the way flat)

a quality bank that **could** last 12+ years if coddled, may only last a season or two.

AKA murdered by the owner.

Since the last 4-5 hours of charging - required to get from say 90% to true 100% - is at very low amps, it just isn't worth burning dino juice to do so, only solar or mains unless you're driving all day anyway.

LFP banks do not have this trailing amps issue, nor should they sit at Full.

Firefly Oasis are lead, and should get to Full as often as possible, but are uniquely resistant to PSOC abuse and will last many cycles despite it, as long as you regularly follow their capacity restore procedure.

Hope that helps.
Any recommendations are where to pick up one of those firefly batteries?

Those sportsman 1000w generators are the same thing that is re-branded as a ton of different low budget manufactures. Most reviews point out they don't come close to putting out their claimed wattage and reliability isn't the best . . .
For the cost (20% cost of Honda) and my use it is a good gamble. I had good reviews from two people I trust that have had them for over 2 years with good performance. I tested mine to 600W; good enough for my 35A charger, which is it's primary use.

jim

Any recommendations are where to pick up one of those firefly batteries?
Yes. If you are stateside, do not deal directly with the Indian company that bought them.

Bruce Schwab @ Ocean Planet is master distributor for NA, will put you on to a dealer.

Note there could be a long backlog waitlist, took me 5 months to get mine.

And $500 per 100AH is too steep for many. Only worth it if you truly can't remedy your PSOC.

Or just buy Deka FLA GCs at $1/AH and just replace more frequently?

Yes. If you are stateside, do not deal directly with the Indian company that bought them.

Bruce Schwab @ Ocean Planet is master distributor for NA, will put you on to a dealer.

Note there could be a long backlog waitlist, took me 5 months to get mine.

And $500 per 100AH is too steep for many. Only worth it if you truly can't remedy your PSOC.

Or just buy Deka FLA GCs at $1/AH and just replace more frequently?
Thanks(y)

I hadn't looked at generators in awhile so I had to check out the briggs inverter generator. Compared to my favorite Champion Dual Fuel there are some differences.
Briggs 2 year warranty Champion 3 years. Both have excellent service.
Briggs gasoline only Champion propane and gasoline.
Briggs $1,019 Champion $1,074
Briggs 2600 Watts Rated 3,000 Surge Watts Champion 3100 Watts Rated 3400 Surge Watts This is important if you are trying to charge and run AC at same time. Surge Watts are useful during compressor starting
Briggs 90.4 Pounds Champion 95.7 Pounds
Briggs 59 db Champion 59 db

No obvious winner. Hopefully someone will make a Propane conversion kit for the Briggs.
https://www.powerequipmentdirect.com/Briggs-&-Stratton-30545/p13562.html
https://www.powerequipmentdirect.com/Champion-100263/p67309.html