Anyone try these as Camper tie downs???

Ty_Deschaine

My beloved F250 7.3L was stolen last month and I've opted to go with a newer F150 3.5L Ecoboost 6.5' bed as a daily driver/ weekend adventure rig. My old truck was outfitted with power to the bed, airbags, and tie downs and I'm back to ground zero on retrofitting the new truck. We used Brophy tie downs on the last truck and I hated them. They would twist in the bed holes when tightening the turn buckles. I came across these, which shouldn't have that problem and are rated for 3000lbs. We have a 1993 Jayco Sportster 7 Slide-in Popup camper that as far as I can tell weighs around 1000 lbs dry. Truck shouldn't have a problem with the payload as its rated for over 2000lbs in the bed. Anyone try these with their pop ups? Any concerns with strength or durability with the Alloy bed rails on these F150's?

Thanks in advance!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The Alumabeds really need the Torklift mounts.
I prefer the Happijac system for popups but aluminum beds don't have the structural integrity.

Wavester

The Alumabeds really need the Torklift mounts.
I prefer the Happijac system for popups but aluminum beds don't have the structural integrity.
Totally disagree, there have to be hundreds of Ford f150 - Hawk combinations including mine. No problem with the FWC stock setup, 10 years and thousands of miles with no issues.

NOPEC

I think if you were going to stay on pavement all of the time, they might be fine. But if you introduce any type of ballistic load on them as a result truck bed/camper sway due to hitting potholes and the like, I think there is a good chance you may pretzel your stake pockets. I don't think many of the newer trucks would hold up, regardless of what metal they are made of.

Ducstrom

I think if you were going to stay on pavement all of the time, they might be fine. But if you introduce any type of ballistic load on them as a result truck bed/camper sway due to hitting potholes and the like, I think there is a good chance you may pretzel your stake pockets. I don't think many of the newer trucks would hold up, regardless of what metal they are made of.
I'd agree with this. We run and older steel body supercab f550, new alumibody supercab f550 and a regular cab 5500 ram all with service bodies.
The tech running the alumibody Ford drove slowly through a ditch and the rear c pillar buckled in on the cab. No contact with anything, just couldn't take the stress.

I am also not bias against them as I personally own an alumibody f350. I just think the steel stuff fairs better when pushed to the max.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz