Anyone tried RAM Tough Track?

CCH

Adventurer
Trying to find a sturdy mount for my cell phone and came across this RAM tough track stuff. RAM bills it as suitable for pretty much any vehicle. It appears the extruded aluminum version gets a lot of play in the marine market. While I'm loathe to drill into my dashboard, it does look like a pretty sound way to mount my phone and tablet together. Already have the hardware for hanging my tablet from a previous application, so I'm more than half way there on the investment. It's just drilling those holes... So, does anyone have any experience good or bad before I fire up old sparky?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071CK5TJW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2XENS8LQP1A6D&psc=1

malibubts

Adventurer
No experience with what you have linked, but if you don't want to drill your dash maybe check out ProClip USA for their mounts. They custom make mounts for most vehicles that are pretty much friction fit between trim panels. I really like how they have worked in my truck.

CCH

Adventurer
I came across the Proclip stuff. Intrigued, but wasn't sure how it would hold up in the bumpy stuff, and the investment is higher with no help for my tablet involved. Have they been pretty solid for you?

malibubts

Adventurer
I've had the mount for probably a year and a half now and haven't had any issues at all, forest roads and general dirt roads haven't been an issue at all. I first had a Samsung Note 3 in the phone holder, but am now running an LG G6 in there. I also have the head unit for my Icom 2730 attached on the same mount, they are stacked vertically. Along with the friction they also do have a bit of adhesive on them, but I think the majority of the holding power is from the friction.

I haven't tried to used a tablet in mine since I would need a different bracket though. Also not sure what your'e driving, I think the mounts vary quite a bit between different vehicles and what they have to work with.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've been using RAM mounts for 20 years. Love them. Currently I put a 1" RAM ball on my dashboard secured with 3m Heavy Duty Mounting tape. I had the same arrangement on my 2007 4runner and it worked great. Of course I'm just holding a GPS or cell phone nothing heavier. Best thing about using mounting tape is that if I'm careful I can remove it and leave no trace of it behind. And it sure beats the windshield suction cup that always seems to fall off the windshield at the worst time!
This is the 4runner but it mounts the same way on my 'Burb.
2015_0511_124246AA.jpg

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I haven't tried the Tough Track yet but I've had my eye on it and would like to. I haven't decided on a solid enough mounting location on or around my dash. I currently have a similar setup to Martin on my Xterra's dash cubby which holds my ham radio control head.

ultraclyde

Observer
Haven't used the track, but I'll add another testimony for RAM stuff in general. I use the X-Grip phone mounts - a screw mount in my boat and a suction mount in my Jeep - and they are rock solid.

Big Ern

After trying a bunch of different products, I finally settled on Mob Armor. I use the mobnetic pro for my iphone. It is great as you can actually punch info. into the phone while it is on the device and it is sturdy. They also make products for tablets/Ipads, etc.

www.mobarmor.com

CCH

Adventurer
May come back to the tough track, but I'm going to give that Mob Armor a shot. Like being able to easily transfer to my wife's car. May go with a single mount to use my current RAM X grip set up and the tablet. Thanks to all for the feedback.

Big Ern

With regard to the Mob Armor, think about where you will mount the base (it attaches the metal base piece via 3M type adhesive). I had the regular one (tilts about 45 deg), but when I got a new truck where the only "flat" spot to mount was on the top of my dash, it wouldn't work as I needed the Mobnetic Pro 90 which can tilt 90 degrees. I think the 90 degree version is the most versatile as it can be used in any of the applications.

CCH

Adventurer
Swell, I ordered the original as it was on sale. Guess we'll see as the top of the dash is probably the best place in my truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles