Anyone tow a offroad/adv/camper trailer with the tailgate down?

PabstBleuRibbon

Just like the title says, I'm wondering if this is workable, or a terrible idea? I've got an urge to go trailer shopping sometime in the next year, but my whole idea is to use the trailer as a basecamp setup for dirt bikes. To be able to take the dirtbikes, my truck (jeep JT) is a short bed and you need to have the tailgate down.

Is hauling bikes like that, and towing one of the adv type trailers (Offgrid, Patriot, Boreas, etc) a terrible idea? Any advice appreciated.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
May need to look at a hitch extension to clear the tailgate depending on how long the tongue is on the trailer.

But, I'd be very weary of how the modified weight distribution could affect things...

As an aside, when my trailer is hooked up, I can barely open my tailgate as it hits the tongue jack.

midsize-truck-bent-frame-towing-overland.jpg

Would a toy hauler work for you instead of carrying the bikes in the bed?

A-Liner-Somerset-E3-Deck-Popup-Camper-Toy-Hauler.jpg

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Also, you mentioned hauling dirtbikes... as in plural. How much do they weigh? You'd have to take the weight of passengers, cargo, the bikes and the tongue weight into account. Not sure what spec of Gladiator you have but, I suspect you'd be very close if not over the payload rating. (depending on the weigh of the bikes and trailer tongue of course)

Just sounds like a lot of weight for a Gladiator....

PabstBleuRibbon

1200lb payload on the Mojave, which is what I have. Figure ~250lbs for the bike, another 50lbs of gear/gas/etc. 550 for two bikes, plus my 210lbs. Figure another ~200 lbs at most in the truck, and I should still be well under the max payload for the truck, and still be able to put gear in a trailer and not stress it too hard with a 6k rating. It's not going to set any land speed records, but one or two dirtbikes and a lightweight adv trailer should be well within its capabilities.

PabstBleuRibbon

May need to look at a hitch extension to clear the tailgate depending on how long the tongue is on the trailer.

But, I'd be very weary of how the modified weight distribution could affect things...

As an aside, when my trailer is hooked up, I can barely open my tailgate as it hits the tongue jack.

View attachment 611354

Would a toy hauler work for you instead of carrying the bikes in the bed?

View attachment 611355

Oh man, that gladiator photo is brutal. With what looks like a really lightweight trailer, I'm wondering what shenanigans made that happen?

Toy hauler pop-up is just too big for me, no place to put it. The small garage-sized trailers are really all I can conceivably store. Also it'd be nice to have a trailer I can take on some rougher roads.

billiebob

Oh man, that gladiator photo is brutal. With what looks like a really lightweight trailer, I'm wondering what shenanigans made that happen?

Toy hauler pop-up is just too big for me, no place to put it. The small garage-sized trailers are really all I can conceivably store. Also it'd be nice to have a trailer I can take on some rougher roads.
yep, I agree, I have never seen that on a pretty stock truck doing kinda notmal things, and being a farm boy from Alberta, I've seen some crazy driving.

Pnwfullsize

Boreas mxt with a motorcycle rack on the rear hitch and the tongue! I think the rear hitch is good for like 350# bike

Mischief

The longer the hitch, the less effect the trailer has on the truck. It's also better for turning and maneuvering

50430032552_02e2fb88e2_c (1).jpg50429836051_ee5b76e4cc_c.jpg

Adam_Cole

Depending on the length of the trailer tongue and what’s attached to it, your turning radius and articulation between truck and trailer will be severely limited. Also, attaching the trailer with the tailgate down could prove to be difficult at times?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94