Anyone shooting with a Fuji X-E1 body?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Just wondering what your thoughts are on it as a camera system...
What lens/lenses are you using with it?
What were you shooting before?
How do you like it in comparison to you past camera?

I ask cause I just picked one up with the 18-55 f/2.8-4.0 lens and coming from a Nikon D300(lots of good glass) & Sony NEX-5N with just the standard Sony 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 I'm wondering what I should expect? Thus far I really like the ergonomics of the Fuji(more than the Sony) but I'm not sure if its low light capabilities are as good as or better than my Sony (which is what I'm expecting based on the various reviews).

TIA!

sickchilly

Observer
Interested to hear how you like it. I've been considering downsizing from my monstrous Nikon kit to either the X-Pro1 or X-E2. I've had an X20 as my go everywhere camera for a while. I really like Fuji's style, ergonomics, and color.

ywen

Explorer
not the Xe-1 but the X100 so I can speak to the quality of the sensor sinc eit's very similar..

I love the X100 and the EVF, which the Xe-1 has as well. Image quality is on par with my 5D mark 2 full frame camera. The canon is now rarely used after acquiring the Fuji.

JPEG from FUJI is amazing.. No need for RAW for me.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Sickchilly... so far I like it a lot. Will take a little bit of time getting used to the controls and feature locations in the menu system (as would any camera) though.

For example today it took me a couple of minutes to find the setting for doing "sweep" panoramic shots. Yesterday when I first got the camera, I showed it to a friend and the two of us (both knowledgeable amateur photographers) couldn't figure out how to set the different basic shooting modes (Program, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Manual) for about 5 minutes! But once we figured it out, we both agreed that doing it the X-E1 way made total sense!

ywen... I like the EVF as well although I wish it was closer to the actual size versus missing ~15% or so. Minor thing that I have to keep in mind when shooting or just get used to possibly having to crop images in post.

As for replacing my dslr (Nikon D300S) that won't be happening any time soon. There are key lenses I have that are not available with the Fuji (28-70mm f/2.8, 28-105mm f/2.8, 80-200mm f/2.8, 150mm f/2.8 macro to name a few) so I'll continue to use my DSLR key events and look at the XE-1 as my "walk around" camera.

You mentioned liking the jpgs... can I assume if I'm shooting Raw+Fine Jpg with one a presets (fuji velvia for example) will the RAW remain unaffected while the jpg will have the preset applied to it? Not sure and although I have the camera here, I don't have a PC to check.

I agree that the low light image quality is very nice although with the few shots I took yesterday it does not appear to be as good as my Sony NEX-5N's low light averaging feature. I'll have to do more shooting though before I can say that.

sickchilly

Observer
As for replacing my dslr (Nikon D300S) that won't be happening any time soon. There are key lenses I have that are not available with the Fuji (28-70mm f/2.8, 28-105mm f/2.8, 80-200mm f/2.8, 150mm f/2.8 macro to name a few) so I'll continue to use my DSLR key events and look at the XE-1 as my "walk around" camera.

You mentioned liking the jpgs... can I assume if I'm shooting Raw+Fine Jpg with one a presets (fuji velvia for example) will the RAW remain unaffected while the jpg will have the preset applied to it? Not sure and although I have the camera here, I don't have a PC to check.

I shoot mostly primes up to 85mm, so it looks like the Fuji lens offerings will have me covered with the 18, 35 and 60 primes. But it's going to be really hard to give up my Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR. The big zooms Fuji offers now are hardly fast.

You assume correct on RAW+JPG. That's how I work with my X20 as well. I have it set to 4:3 aspect and Velvia or Monochrome Red Filter. I usually use the JPG straight. But if I want the traditional 3:2, want to go crazy in post, or if the JPG just didn't cut it for some reason, I'll go to the RAW file.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yeah, speaking of having limited lens selections, I went on a day trip yesterday at a local OHV park and brought the Nikon with a 12-24 lens. Fuji's supposed to be releasing a wide zoom soon, but who knows when it will arrive.

The Fuji was great for group pics at lunch the other day LOL...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior