Anyone seen this before?

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Cool link...

I like where they landed in Antarctica, how the smooth tires did not meet their expectations in the snow... lol

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Parallel parking would suck...

Seriously though, that is absolutely wild. Thanks for the link.

flywgn

Explorer
That's fascinating. I'd heard about the Snowcruiser but had never seen any 'film clips'. Looks to me as if the S'cruiser fared better than the cinematographer.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Oh man totally cool! 4 wheel steering even. I wish there were some interiror pics. it would have been cool to see the inside. I want one.

HINO SG

Adventurer
Staggerwing

That was one of my first thoughts, too. I didn't see any explanation for that, either.

What's beyond me is how they thought wheels would work at all. I mean, if you have some kind of a prepared road at all, sure, wheels are a lot better than tracks.

But Antarctica in 1940? What were they thinking?

JoelDirn

Nullifier said:
Oh man totally cool! 4 wheel steering even. I wish there were some interiror pics. it would have been cool to see the inside. I want one.

There are a number of interior pictures available if you follow these links:
http://www.joeld.net/snowcruiser/oty-pics.html
http://www.joeld.net/snowcruiser/Armour1.html

A lot of additional pictures, as well as information about the Snow Cruiser can be found by following the other links found on this page:
http://www.joeld.net/snowcruiser/snowbibl.html

- Joel -

underdog

david despain said:
cool staggerwing on top i wonder how they planned to get it down?
In at least one of the pictures, it looks like there are some slots behind the platform the plane is sitting on. I'm guessing that the platform kinda tracks backwards in these slots and rests on the ground. From there, I dunno? Maybe it takes a few really big guys to wrestle the plane off the platform?

The tires on that rig could definitely use improvement. Does BFG make their All Terrains in that size?

pwc

Explorer
hinoranger said:
That was one of my first thoughts, too. I didn't see any explanation for that, either.

What's beyond me is how they thought wheels would work at all. I mean, if you have some kind of a prepared road at all, sure, wheels are a lot better than tracks.

But Antarctica in 1940? What were they thinking?

If you read Byrd's account of his stay at Advanced bascamp and the attempts to get to him after they lost radio contact, it tells how badly the tracks of the tractors they were running tended to work. A lot of this is just because things weren't built well at the time. So it most likely left a bad taste in Poulter's mouth.
It's got some good articulation though.

RoundOut

Explorer
Thrust vs Drag, Lift vs. Gravity

Not quite sure how this thing gets off the ground, looks like a heck of a payload. :jump:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles