Anyone running the Timbren axle-less units as tandems?

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
I've got a bed I'm pulling off the FG, and I'm thinking of converting it into a trailer. Simple project, just a ladder frame with the same width and rail dimensions as the FG, and then slide the bed off the FG frame onto the trailer, bolt it on, done.

Except for those things called wheels etc.

So I was thinking about going with the Timbren 3500HD units, but since this will also be transporting a fairly valuable little truck, I'd prefer going with tandems, both for stability and also safety. The trailer will get mild off roading, but nothing severe - but it would also be nice to have more clearance.

The other thing about the Timbren units, if anyone has actual experience, is how do they perform in very cold conditions? Do the rubber springs become like rocks? Or do they still work well?

Czechsix

Yep, I saw the silent ride, but it's just a traveling beam, with axles, not like the axle-less units. (unless I've completely missed seeing an axle-less tandem on their sales site?) I'm trying to lose the axle tubes entirely and keep a clear center tunnel.

meental

Observer
Yep, I saw the silent ride, but it's just a traveling beam, with axles, not like the axle-less units. (unless I've completely missed seeing an axle-less tandem on their sales site?) I'm trying to lose the axle tubes entirely and keep a clear center tunnel.
You are correct, they do require axle tubes. I don't really have any experience with tandems but I would give a call to timbren, they were very helpful with questions I had about their axleless suspension systems.

Sent from my rooftop tent while stargazing

Czechsix

OK, I called Timbren, and as you mention, meental - very helpful.

The axle-less units can be run as tandem setups. The difference between the 3500HD and the 5200 units is only the rubber spring - the 3500HD uses the heavier frame of the 5200, with the lower weight rating springs. Given that, plus the spindles that allow a larger, wider off road tire, I think I'll be going with the 3500HD units. I've also looked at the air bag suspension - the independent one that they offer. For me, way too much plumbing, air bags that can get punctured, etc.

Also, according to the tech guy, they've tested them sub-zero. They'll be stiff until they heat up from friction, then they'll work normally. I can live with that.

So - I'll be ordering 4 of the 3500HD units and hauling them up to Bend OR on the FG bed before I deliver the truck to Earthcruiser to start their build.

Thanks for the comments, folks, they did help.

Oh, last thought - I've got them priced at 760 each here in San Diego.

twiisted71

Adventurer
speaking from experience: I'd suggest trying to speak with more folks who have had experience with 'independent' tandem suspensions. I had a tandem boat trailer with torsion axles and it was VERY rough compared to leaf springs with a walking beam design. Instead of a trailer moving 50% vertically for a bump it seemed to move 100% the same amount as a single 'axle' design would TWICE! It was incredibly jerky even on my 3/4 ton quad cab 4x4 diesel Ram 2500 at low speeds.
It is your money and your rig, you know what you want/need. I for one don't ever want to have to pull another tandem trailer with independently suspended tandems. But then I'd not really be pulling something so heavy that needs tandems through terrain so soft/tough that I'm worried about axle clearance on a regular basis.
Perhaps if it uses airbag suspension and they could plumb the bags on the same side 'together' with a large bore line so they could equalize and behave like a walking beam it would make a world of difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles